shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco Engagement Ring -- Worth it; Price Negotiation

nickman789

Rough_Rock
I am purchasing an antique engagement ring for my girlfriend and would appreciate some advice. We have chosen a ring from Stephen Herdemian -- http://www.antiquejewelryforsale.com/viewProduct-547-PLATINUM_ART_DECO_ENGAGEMENT_RING.html

I've attached an image of the ring and additional images are available in the link above. The description reads:

Staggeringly beautiful this art deco engagement ring is set in platinum and contains an Old European cut diamonds that weighs approx. 1.25 ct and has an I color and VS clarity. Tiptoeing though the luminosity of the side diamonds are triangular and crescent moon shaped emeralds adding that pinch of color. As the diamonds step down the mounting the intricate engraving appears offering its limitless beauty.

The asking price is $7000

I spoke with them and they said that the diamond is not certified because they did not want to remove it from the setting. They said that they try to not to overgrade the ring, and try to undergrade it. They also have a 2 week return policy, which will allow us to get the ring appraised. I understand that with antique rings are sometimes difficult to value. I am trying to ensure that we are receiving a fair deal (e.g., not paying $7000 for a ring worth $2000). Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Assuming this ring is worth close to the asking price, my next question is whether I can negotiate the price down, and if so, how much? My initial thought was to make an offer of $6100 - $6200 with the hopes of paying around $6500. Thoughts on this strategy are also appreciated. Finally, I realize this may vary by merchant, but do you think I could have the item shipped out of state to save on sales tax?

Thanks so much for your help.

-- Nick

image.php.jpeg

dianabridetobe

Rough_Rock
The ring is devine, but it does seem alittle pricey for what you get, why don't you check out http://artdecodiamonds.com/ they have so many different antique styles with awesome customer service!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'd say maybe 5k is a fair price though it's certainly not a ripoff at 7k, just closer to what you'd pay from shopping in person. You should ask them if there is any damage to the stone and what mm it faces up like. It will need a gentle cleaning technique with those pretty emeralds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results