shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you shielding your kids from the panic?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was just enjoying a picture on one of the other threads where a dad was colouring in with the kids and i was wondering how the kids are doing ?
today's world is so different with the internet and social media - the news is instant and not always accurate

and there seems to be so many more kids out there with anxiety issues these days

how are your kids doing ?

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds That's a really good question. We currently home educate and my child has additional needs. Up to now he is unaware of what is going on but I think in the next few days we are going to have to have a chat with him.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my sister boy has dysbraxia and a host of anxiety issues brought on by the Christchurch earthquakes
my sister has always limited the tv news in their house

this situation is so different to living in a broken city
best of luck @Niffler75 with your kiddo
i kind of hope that kids will have a lasting memory of being home with mum and dad like my dad did with the polio epidemic

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My son is 34 and Autistic...He doesn’t have normal intelligence either...It like talking to a young child..They must have talked about the Coronavirus at his sheltered workshop. I heard him repeating the Coronavirus word. I asked him what they told him about it at work. He said that he was afraid he would get it and die. I told him that I was taking care of keeping him safe...that he didn’t need to worry about it at all...He then said it was because I have mommy powers...OMG I told him I will do everything I can to protect him...I asked him today if he felt safe. He said yes...That’s all I can do...make him feel safe...but I worry..

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
My son was panicked and angry at first, for a full 2-3 weeks, before it even hit the US. I had to remind him that if anyone won't get it it'll be us. I am a natural born prepper and am ready for almost anything. I won't go into detail here but it put him at ease, I'm that bad!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a major part of keeping the kids calm is keeping them away from media, we don't have cable so they can't watch the news thankfully.

Also by them seeing that we are not freaking out, that helps. They see that we are prepared by having enough food and supplies but not hoarding which would probably make them think more about it. There is a schedule, schoolwork in the morning and outside play in the afternoon then after dinner tv and game time.

We are just presenting it as this is what it is for now and it's hard and it stinks but it's that way for everyone and eventually things will get better.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
My kids are doing okay with it. We do not let them hear any of the news, and we have told them about it in an age appropriate way, so they do not seem to have anxiety about it. They know it is serious, but they see that my husband and I are remaining calm. Homeschooling is going well so far. They are sad to be missing their friends, but they have each other and our dog, so they have been having fun. We are making some nice family memories by having fires in our firepit outside and eating together as as family now that my husband is working from home and actually home for dinner! I do not talk about any of my fears regarding ventilators or food supply around my children.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will also be dragging out the Christmas lights and decorating the windows this weekend, fun for the kids and something for people to look at, who doesn't love some colorful lights in the window?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We will also be dragging out the Christmas lights and decorating the windows this weekend, fun for the kids and something for people to look at, who doesn't love some colorful lights in the window?

not that i in anyway what this situation to drag on for months and i do not mean to make light of the situation

as way down here we often do the midwinter Christmas thing here in June
the good peeps way up north could finally get to have a summer christmas dinner :appl:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Lol my daughter is only 5 but yet shes incredibly intelligent.
We've told her the main facts about the virus and that its the reason why school isnt on or why mommy is home with her for the time being.
We're doing a lesson plan so she doesnt fall behind and she understands why.

Ive given her a refresher on hand washing and keep reminding her as her great grandfather lives with us and has cancer and dementia so were trying to minimize the spread: if any of us have it and are asymptomatic. Its a possibility as I work in a hospital and could have gotten it that way.

Other than the handwashing and staying home she doesnt see me fussing over anything else and therefore isnt worried at all.
Its much easier with younger children as she doesnt have any access to social media. Her and I are very connected and if I'm calm, she's calm.

Right now we've made an abundance of crafts in the last three days hahaha....

-paper puppets with popsicle sticks
-plaster hand mold keepsakes
-acrylic paint on mini canvases
-I saved a pair of 14k yellow gold prong earrings and put some old lower quality emeralds in them and from far away in the ears they look awesome!
-I also finally had the gusto to turn my seed pearl bumble bee stick pin into a pendant
-I rearranged our living room and bed room; my hip brusises can attest!
-& got out my old middle school cheerleading uniform and squeezed into it like a sausage to appease my child; she was fully pleased with my uncomfortable situation and we had a cheer off!
-Made carrot cake
-Made maple syrup and cracked pepper bacon and had a bacon feast for no reason!

So to her, this is a strange time to have fun with mom, play homeschool, and do lots of crafts!

IMG_20200317_174557_777.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My 5 year old made a coronavirus shot and vaccinated all the cats :lol: He said "it's not hard, just put it together and use legos. Don't forget to wash the needles." :errrr:

90464244_3121013817961942_8272926981482348544_o.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol my daughter is only 5 but yet shes incredibly intelligent.
We've told her the main facts about the virus and that its the reason why school isnt on or why mommy is home with her for the time being.
We're doing a lesson plan so she doesnt fall behind and she understands why.

Ive given her a refresher on hand washing and keep reminding her as her great grandfather lives with us and has cancer and dementia so were trying to minimize the spread: if any of us have it and are asymptomatic. Its a possibility as I work in a hospital and could have gotten it that way.

Other than the handwashing and staying home she doesnt see me fussing over anything else and therefore isnt worried at all.
Its much easier with younger children as she doesnt have any access to social media. Her and I are very connected and if I'm calm, she's calm.

Right now we've made an abundance of crafts in the last three days hahaha....

-paper puppets with popsicle sticks
-plaster hand mold keepsakes
-acrylic paint on mini canvases
-I saved a pair of 14k yellow gold prong earrings and put some old lower quality emeralds in them and from far away in the ears they look awesome!
-I also finally had the gusto to turn my seed pearl bumble bee stick pin into a pendant
-I rearranged our living room and bed room; my hip brusises can attest!
-& got out my old middle school cheerleading uniform and squeezed into it like a sausage to appease my child; she was fully pleased with my uncomfortable situation and we had a cheer off!
-Made carrot cake
-Made maple syrup and cracked pepper bacon and had a bacon feast for no reason!

So to her, this is a strange time to have fun with mom, play homeschool, and do lots of crafts!

IMG_20200317_174557_777.jpg

this is what in years to come i hope the kids remember, just like my dad in the polio epidemic

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
My girls are teenagers and are asking questions about the things they read or hear. I have been working from home and have had my hours cut in half at work, so they know hear the discussion about that.

We talk a lot about reality vs media hype. The importance of washing hands, staying at home etc.

Earlier this week my oldest (19) wanted chocolate from the store. She ran out to grab a few things and called me in a panic because the shelves were empty at Vons. Mom fail!! I didn't think to stop her from going. She had heard my hubby & I talking about it over the weekend but seeing it in person is quite shocking. She was so upset.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
0F9D0F9D-6EB0-4A72-B067-9ED5E4887FE3.jpeg

From WHO. Mine learnt about the virus in school. There isnt much panic in my part of the world, but it’s good that they know why they need to wash their hands properly and why they may need to wear masks etc.

HannahBagrich

Rough_Rock
Kids are not made for isolation, which makes COVID-19 especially hard. I do hope that parents aren’t putting too much pressure on themselves right now. Remain calm and reassuring. As we all are at home, my kids can help me make some of the dinner meals. It’s a simple way of making the situation not as scary. We bake together lots of delicious stuff in our convection oven (click here to read more about it). For instance, you can make pizza together or sweet potato fries.

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
Kids are not made for isolation, which makes COVID-19 especially hard. I do hope that parents aren’t putting too much pressure on themselves right now. Remain calm and reassuring. As we all are at home, my kids can help me make some of the dinner meals. It’s a simple way of making the situation not as scary. We bake together lots of delicious stuff in our convection oven (click here to read more about it). For instance, you can make pizza together or sweet potato fries.

Indeed! Happy baking with healthylicious recipe with kiddos. Thank you for sharing.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine to my surprise is very chilled and pretty much unbothered by all the Covid19 stuff.

I always thought he was a very social creature but as it turns out he's pretty ambivalent about his friends in general.

He misses the ability to go out to different places with us but not really any other company.

Mine also loves the Darwinian way of thinking so he's not fearful about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results