shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you planning to (or if you''re already engaged, did you) get your honey an engagement present?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering if anyone else is thinking what I''m thinking....if we had the money (which of course we don''t--at this point I don''t even know if we will have money for any sort of ring!), I would love to get J some big present that he would love, like a new computer or something, so that he gets a gift when I get my ring. I had talked to him about a ring fund, where we both put some savings into a jar (or bank account, whichever) and when we had enough for both a ring and something he wanted (like a computer), we would get both things at the same time. Now that we''ve talked over the symbolism, he sees the ring as more than just a want, but it is still something extra that I know I don''t *need* to be engaged. So, I''d like to return the favour and get him something he''d really love but doesn''t *need*. I wonder if I''d be able to try to save up to make it a surprise for him....? The ring won''t be a surprise because I am helping to pick it out (at my request, and because looking for a diamond by himself scares the bejeezus out of him
3.gif
).

So! Rambling done. Are any of you thinking of getting your man an engagement present? If you''re already engaged, did you get him one? What do you think would make a good present for a limited budget? Is there any reason you can think of NOT to give him an engagement present? I mentioned the idea to a friend who said it was weird, but I think if I was the dude and saved up all or most of the money for a big purchase like that, I''d appreciate some thanks in the form of a nice new gadget or something...don''t you think?
33.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got mine an engagement drum. It''s a handmade fancy milkwood thing (I obviously don''t understand!) but it''s something he''s wanted for a long time and would never spend the money on himself. Wasn''t cheap either and it took longer to come in than my engagement ring!

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Well, we''re not engaged yet - but I got him a flat screen HDTV for Christmas last year, under the premise that something shiny for me would be coming soon. I guess you can call it an early engagement present. :)

If you don''t have a lot of money to spend, (this is the geeky crafty girl in me coming out) why don''t you start making a scrapbook for him of your whole relationship? It will take a while, but it''s worth it, especially going through all the pictures and reliving the memories. I did that 2 years ago for Valentines Day and he absolutely loved it. It won''t cost you a lot of money, and it''s more special that you invested time rather than money.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
I got DF a new laptop, which wasn''t quite a necessity because he already had a desktop computer and a dinosaur of an old laptop. I picked it because it had some unique bells and whistles and because I figured a graphic designer could never have enough computers (and I was right). It was a complete surprise to him, and he was overwhelmed. It wasn''t as expensive as the ring but it was still a pretty big purchase. I know it won''t be a permanent fixture the way my engagement ring will be, but it''ll at least last him through our wedding and our first married years. By then, he''ll have his own ring as a symbol.

Personally, I think it''s nice to reciprocate with a unique and personal token. I''m kind of obsessed with gift-giving, though, so I''m sure others'' responses will vary.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''m 99% sure he''s proposing in the next 2.5 weeks. The ring was handed down from my grandmother, so I don''t feel any obligation since he didn''t have to spend any money on it. I like the idea of it, it''s sweet.

He can consider his Xmas presents engagement presents.
2.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i was planning on getting my FI a new lcd 1080p 42inch computer monitor/tv.....but he couldn''t wait and went ahead and bought it himself. then i was going to upgrade his computer....but the combination of me running out of loan money and having to dip into my savings (which was going to be used for the present) along with him spending a ridiculous amount of money on something i didn''t agree with sort of put any engagement present plans on the back burner. i am making him a scrapbook (which isn''t really me at all) because HE had actually hinted that would be a nice present (haha) and am giving it to him for christmas along with a pair of christmas stockings (like the kind you hang..not wear) that i am making, so i guess i am sort of double dipping, as they are both sentimental to our engagement and gifts for christmas (but i did spend more than i was supposed to making them...so i didn''t totally cheap out!)

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
we just got engaged last weekend...but i had gotten him a playstation 3 for christmas, and his birthday, and i guess our engagement. hes also getting an "engagement band" after the holidays but hes paying for it so its not really a gift. and that badn will then become the one he wears when he goes to work..and he wants one with diamonds in it for when hes not at work...hes just as bad as one of us girls when it comes to diamonds lol its really cute

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Awww, mimzy, he hinted to you that he''d like a scrapbook of your years together? That is so incredibly sweet! I might have to try that out as a gift, although I''m not sure J would have any idea how long it takes to put a scrapbook together (I''ve only ever done one, about my semester in Australia, and it took me over a year to make it truly awesome) and so he might not be *quite* as impressed with that as something more practical and indulgent like something to allow him to play newer video games...but I will think about it. Thanks for the suggestion!!
9.gif

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Mine didn''t realize how long it took - until I told him that for 10 front and back pages, it took me about 70+ hours. Then he appreciated it even more...
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I bought FI a Canon Rebel xti as a joint Christmas/engagement present.

There was a secondary motive - I now get to buy all the accessories for the next how ever many birthdays etc. He''s impossible to buy for!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
After he bought my stone, I bought him a Harley.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I told Kris that when we get engaged, I''ll buy him a really nice swiss watch. Like rings, they are keepsakes that will last a lifetime. Plus, I really like that you can get it engraved on the back. He loves the idea because as he put it, "if I get hit on, I can say ''Hey, lady, I''m taken. Did you not see the watch?''"

That said, they are a pricey purchase (although not so bad if you get them secondhand and avoid the mark-up...I saw a 5 year old Omega Speedmaster Automatic for around 2K that was in REALLY nice condition. Granted, that''s still 2K, but when compared to diamonds...).

Maybe get something that can be an heirloom--maybe a really nice pocket-knife if he''s a hands-on or outdoorsy type, a special mens ring (maybe one engraved with celtic knotwork or a signet?) or other piece of jewelry if he''d wear it, a pocketwatch, a musical instrument, or a high-quality leather wallet. Whatever you decide on, the most important thing is that it''s something that he''ll love. It sounds like you''re putting a ton of thought into this, so I''m sure that you''ll pick something awesome!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2007 4:02:22 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I forgot you did that! You win.
3.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I didn''t get my FI an engagement present. Any extra money that we have goes into an account to help pay for our honeymoon and wedding stuff (vendors, alterations, etc.). I would have loved to get him something though - probably a laptop. Maybe someday.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I gave my husband an engagement ring too. A very classic pinky ring with 4 small diamonds in it. He LOVED it.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2007 4:05:42 PM
Author: ladypirate
I told Kris that when we get engaged, I''ll buy him a really nice swiss watch. Like rings, they are keepsakes that will last a lifetime. Plus, I really like that you can get it engraved on the back. He loves the idea because as he put it, ''if I get hit on, I can say ''Hey, lady, I''m taken. Did you not see the watch?''''

That said, they are a pricey purchase (although not so bad if you get them secondhand and avoid the mark-up...I saw a 5 year old Omega Speedmaster Automatic for around 2K that was in REALLY nice condition. Granted, that''s still 2K, but when compared to diamonds...).

Maybe get something that can be an heirloom--maybe a really nice pocket-knife if he''s a hands-on or outdoorsy type, a special mens ring (maybe one engraved with celtic knotwork or a signet?) or other piece of jewelry if he''d wear it, a pocketwatch, a musical instrument, or a high-quality leather wallet. Whatever you decide on, the most important thing is that it''s something that he''ll love. It sounds like you''re putting a ton of thought into this, so I''m sure that you''ll pick something awesome!
I''m doing the same! Except I''ll be giving him his watch for the wedding, as a wedding gift. When I told him I want to get him something, like a watch, for all the trouble he went through with the e-ring, he got all psyched up and started telling me about all these great watches he had been eyeing. Isn''t he cute?
37.gif
So far our favorite is the Speedmaster (which we got quoted $3300 at BBB), but there''s plenty of time till next summer, so we''ll see
9.gif

Oh, and for the heirloom part, my grandfather just offered today to pass down his Omega watch to my SO! I''m so so excited, not just because of the nice watch, but more because it shows how my whole family is accepting him as part of the family, you know? After years of ho-humming about my choice of bfs, it''s so nice to see that my absolute favorite guy
12.gif
is someone that my family actually really likes and looks forward to having him as part of the clan. *happy sigh*

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2007 9:01:25 PM
Author: onvacation
Date: 12/20/2007 4:05:42 PM

I told Kris that when we get engaged, I''ll buy him a really nice swiss watch. Like rings, they are keepsakes that will last a lifetime. Plus, I really like that you can get it engraved on the back. He loves the idea because as he put it, ''if I get hit on, I can say ''Hey, lady, I''m taken. Did you not see the watch?''''

I''m doing the same! Except I''ll be giving him his watch for the wedding, as a wedding gift. When I told him I want to get him something, like a watch, for all the trouble he went through with the e-ring, he got all psyched up and started telling me about all these great watches he had been eyeing. Isn''t he cute?
37.gif
So far our favorite is the Speedmaster (which we got quoted $3300 at BBB), but there''s plenty of time till next summer, so we''ll see
9.gif

Oh, and for the heirloom part, my grandfather just offered today to pass down his Omega watch to my SO! I''m so so excited, not just because of the nice watch, but more because it shows how my whole family is accepting him as part of the family, you know? After years of ho-humming about my choice of bfs, it''s so nice to see that my absolute favorite guy
12.gif
is someone that my family actually really likes and looks forward to having him as part of the clan. *happy sigh*

Ooh! Congratulations on the vintage Omega--I have one that my Godmother handed down to me and it is pretty!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
D wants a watch, but we''ve looked in NY, Dublin, Galway, Barcelona and Paris and he still hasn''t found one that he really likes yet
20.gif
To say he''s fussy is an understatement!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2007 4:02:22 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone

Thats awesome :)

We actually discussed the man-gagement present before and I think he is fluttering between a HD LCD TV or a pinball machine
1.gif
, though a watch might be a nice keepsake as well :)

sred2

Rough_Rock
"if I get hit on, I can say ''Hey, lady, I''m taken. Did you not see the watch?''"

ladypirate... totally the best thing I''ve read all morning hahaha
9.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I was planning on getting my FI a new guitar, but he changed his mind about wanting one. Then he wanted an iPhone or a wii, but I wanted to get him something more romantic, and then we had to start paying for wedding stuff, and money got too tight. Now what we''ve decided is that I"m going to be the one to purchase both of our wedding bands, which I like better than the electronics because it''s more meaningful!

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
I''m not engaged yet*, but when I am, I''ve often thought of getting my boyfriend a posey ring. Posey rings were very popular in the Middle Ages and Rennaisance periods. Some used them as love tokens and others as wedding or engagement jewelery (because, remember, diamonds as engagement stones are a fairly recent practice). My boyfriend hasn''t worn a ring on his left hand since he got divorced (he does have Navajo turquoise rings he wears on his right hand once in a while). And, he runs a contracting business and is always working with his hands, so I''d want to give him a ring that''s meaningful but not wicked expensive, to get him used to wearing one again:

Sites with posey rings, if you wanted to check them out, are:

http://www.r8w.com/posy.html
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=57758
http://www.sapphirelane.com/POSEY%20RINGS.htm and http://www.sapphirelane.com/Renaissance_Wedding_Rings.htm

I would get this one for my boyfriend:

http://www.sapphirelane.com/MANY%20ARE%20THE%20STARRS%20RING.htm.

This is meaningful because in addition to being a contractor, he sings in a Southern Rock band, and I always tell him that even if he never "made it big," he''d always be a rock star to me
28.gif
. He''s had some moments of greatness - his band has opened for Marshall Tucker several times, and one of those times, he was invited onstage to sing with Doug Gray. Below isn''t the best of pics (hey, you do what you can with a camera you snuck in from several rows back), but I posted so you can see. For those of you who are not Tucker fans, my boyfriend is on the left and Doug is on the right.

Bridget in Connecticut.

* I am sooooo hoping for something to be under the tree for me!! Talking with my boyfriend yesterday, I asked him if he was all done shopping yet, and he said, "The kids and my mom are done, and I just finished you tonight. I think I did pretty well for you, if I do say so." Hmmm. I''m not super holding my breath for a proposal, since no hints to the point have been dropped, but damn, I really would like one.....

t-and-doug gray.jpg

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 2:22:49 PM
Author: sred2
''if I get hit on, I can say ''Hey, lady, I''m taken. Did you not see the watch?''''

9.gif

lol, that sounds like something my chris would say!! hahaha!!!
9.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 3:29:52 PM
Author: sandia_rose
I''m not engaged yet*, but when I am, I''ve often thought of getting my boyfriend a posey ring. Posey rings were very popular in the Middle Ages and Rennaisance periods. Some used them as love tokens and others as wedding or engagement jewelery (because, remember, diamonds as engagement stones are a fairly recent practice). My boyfriend hasn''t worn a ring on his left hand since he got divorced (he does have Navajo turquoise rings he wears on his right hand once in a while). And, he runs a contracting business and is always working with his hands, so I''d want to give him a ring that''s meaningful but not wicked expensive, to get him used to wearing one again:

Sites with posey rings, if you wanted to check them out, are:

http://www.r8w.com/posy.html
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=57758
http://www.sapphirelane.com/POSEY%20RINGS.htm and http://www.sapphirelane.com/Renaissance_Wedding_Rings.htm

I would get this one for my boyfriend:

http://www.sapphirelane.com/MANY%20ARE%20THE%20STARRS%20RING.htm.

This is meaningful because in addition to being a contractor, he sings in a Southern Rock band, and I always tell him that even if he never ''made it big,'' he''d always be a rock star to me
28.gif
. He''s had some moments of greatness - his band has opened for Marshall Tucker several times, and one of those times, he was invited onstage to sing with Doug Gray. Below isn''t the best of pics (hey, you do what you can with a camera you snuck in from several rows back), but I posted so you can see. For those of you who are not Tucker fans, my boyfriend is on the left and Doug is on the right.

Bridget in Connecticut.

* I am sooooo hoping for something to be under the tree for me!! Talking with my boyfriend yesterday, I asked him if he was all done shopping yet, and he said, ''The kids and my mom are done, and I just finished you tonight. I think I did pretty well for you, if I do say so.'' Hmmm. I''m not super holding my breath for a proposal, since no hints to the point have been dropped, but damn, I really would like one.....
sandia these are great! i was gonna get my BF a middle finger ring for our anniversary, and these are perfect! ...hope you don''t mind that i''m stealing the idea!
5.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 4:42:59 PM
Author: sunnyd

'if I get hit on, I can say 'Hey, lady, I'm taken. Did you not see the watch?'

ladypirate... totally the best thing I've read all morning hahaha
9.gif

9.gif

Just as long as they're not the SAME Kris.
23.gif

Just teasing
3.gif
, must just be that guys named Kris (or Chris) are awesome!
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, the posey ring idea reminds me of the puzzle rings I found last year--I''d wanted J and I to get matching ones, to help cope with the distance, but he seemed only into it because I was, and said he''d probably only wear a ring if it was a wedding band. However....he is majorly into history, and since the posey rings have a lot of history to them, he might actually dig those. Thanks for an idea for Valentine''s Day!
9.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2007 11:07:18 PM

Ooh! Congratulations on the vintage Omega--I have one that my Godmother handed down to me and it is pretty!
Thanks, ladypirate! I left the watch at the jeweler''s yesterday for cleaning.
36.gif

I''m very sorry to threadjack, but things have taken a turn from yesterday''s posting, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what would be proper? After I got back yesterday, I was telling my bf about it when it occured me that maybe the watch should go to my dad first? My dad''s away on this short business trip, and the whole deal happened while he was away, and I kinda feel bad that we (mom, grandma, grandpa and I) all got swept up in the moment and decided to get the watch fixed for my bf. I know my brother doesn''t attach a lot of value onto these things, so I''m not too worried about the watch going to my bf eventually, but I do feel bad that the watch may pass by my father. Since my bf tells me he feels the watch is too important for him to be receiving as a gift, I''m thinking the right thing to do would be to pass it to dad first. That way, the watch will mean even more when my bf gets it sometime later, and he and I will both feel better about the gift.

Gwen, I''m really sorry about the threadjack, but I just don''t think this deserves another new thread on its own. As for your original question, how about something you can both use after getting married? My bf wanted to get an aquarium for the longest time, so for one of our anniversaries he got an aquarium, and I''m getting him new fish for the tank every month. Since we''re planning on getting married next summer, he''ll have a nice collection by then and we can both enjoy the aquarium in our living room. The best part is, compared to other gifts, fish are very budget-friendly! I''m so not a fish-person, and he knows this, so it represents my commitment to the relationship too! lol

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 5:07:05 AM
Author: bee*
D wants a watch, but we''ve looked in NY, Dublin, Galway, Barcelona and Paris and he still hasn''t found one that he really likes yet
20.gif
To say he''s fussy is an understatement!

LOL Bee, are you guys sure what he wants is called a "watch"? Maybe after getting your e-ring, what he really wants is a diamond bracelet, disguised as a watch!
9.gif

Hope you guys find the one! *crosses fingers*

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 6:54:25 PM

Date: 12/21/2007 4:42:59 PM
Author: sunnyd

''if I get hit on, I can say ''Hey, lady, I''m taken. Did you not see the watch?''

9.gif

9.gif

Just as long as they''re not the SAME Kris.
23.gif

Just teasing
3.gif
, must just be that guys named Kris (or Chris) are awesome!
2.gif
hahaha i thought that too... ''wait a minute...''
9.gif

chris/kris is a great name!

glitterbug

Shiny_Rock
Hi! This is actually my very first post... your thread inspired me to come out of lurkdom!
35.gif

I''m planning to get my soon-to-be fiance his dream guitar... he has several already, but this is kind of like his holy grail guitar, so it''ll definitely be special. I also plan to buy both our wedding bands. I figure, why should we girls have all the fun? Needless to say, we''re both really excited! hehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results