shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you a picker, a collector, something else?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was talking to a lovely PS member on IG today and when she asked me how I decide what ring to wear my response was surprising. I don't really wear most of my jewelry :eek2:

Say what Yada?! Yup it's true, I hardly wear any of it, lately I've been wearing a "fabulous fashion" solitaire with a French cut sapphire band, that's it.

That has got me thinking about buyers of antique and vintage jewelry, is it bought as part of a collection, is it bought to pass on, maybe it's bought for the thrill of the hunt, or something else?

If I had to put a label on it, I consider myself a picker, I just want to buy it and own it for a little while then sell it and move on to the next "must have". There are a few pieces I will never sell, my Fiona necklace, the lavender spinel ring and most of my bands, everything else could be bought for the right price.

So PS'ers what do you consider yourself?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am both a picker and a collector.
In my travels, I buy jewelry specifically to put in my booth at the antique mall.
But when I find something for myself, I do wear it.
I rotate my jewelry around to make sure that I give each piece a little bit of wear, from time to time. I feel bad if I ignore something for too long.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I've seen your trays, you have a lot of rings. Do you wear a ring on each finger? I miss days of buying for my Etsy shop, hope the antique mall traffic has picked up if they are open now.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Interesting! I’m a collector. Oec, omc, mrb, rose cut and octavia. I’m done so far.

Before pregnant, for daily wear it’s the silver wedding band and the mrb/hp diamond e-ring. After pregnancy, swollen finger won’t fit those combo so I bought a rose cut band from jbg and wore it since for daily purposes. I have to admit, rose cut diamonds are something else. It has sparkles more than you see in pictures and videos.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@joelly, wow that sounds like an amazing collection! Pregnancy is so hard on us so I'm glad you have a pretty rose cut band to get you through. Rose cuts are very tranquil, like shimmering water almost, love them!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I've seen your trays, you have a lot of rings. Do you wear a ring on each finger? I miss days of buying for my Etsy shop, hope the antique mall traffic has picked up if they are open now.

I wear 2 rings on each hand. And maybe a tiny pinky ring. Some days I feel like big rings, and some days I feel like dainty rings.
I might look like a fortune teller minus the crystal ball, but that's OK!

And yes, we are open and selling again at the mall!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I'm so glad they have opened back up, sending you dust for lots of sales. I'm sure people will be happy to be back out again!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread. I am a picker and collector too. I love the hunt when there's something particular I'm looking for. I also sometimes am a rescuer....buy a ring for the setting, buy a gem waiting for a perfect setting to come along..recut a gem, or plan to...
Most items I buy just grab me for one reason or another. (Sometimes when I have no business making another purchase! )
I rarely buy with the intention to sell, but sometimes I'm willing to let something go. I've worn it, enjoyed it, but can send it on.
But I have many items now that I don't ever plan to sell. I do rotate my rhr frequently, and like switching up my wedding stack. I tend to wear several bracelets at once, and have a neck mess daily.
Oh, and earrings! I keep adding to that stockpile, but honestly my most frequent go-tos are my little bezeled unmentionables.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Not only with jewelry but with other vintage items as well, I enjoy the hunt but I don’t keep much for myself. My personal collections are small in number but each is worn/used. Sometimes I keep an item for only a while knowing that I will one day pass it on and I almost always do. On some level I may be a bit fearful that my enjoyment of acquiring things could lead to hoarding as it did with my parents. I am even concerned about my growing houseplant collection right now. :???:
The pieces I do keep I will likely keep forever and I usually know from the minute I first see it.
I do like to rescue, repurpose and/or reinvent when needed and appropriate.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Picker and a hoarder. Can you be a picker if you don't buy with intention to sell? I love the thrill of the hunt, but hardly wear anything. Can't remember the last time I put on jewelry unless meeting with bling friends. Selling is like pulling teeth for me, I feel like I'm selling my children... but out of common sense (once in a while), I do clear out a tiny bit. I'm bordering on 400 items that haven't been worn since purchase. They routinely get visitations at the bank safe though!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, I totally get it, the thrill of the hunt, DH is the same way but he collects toys but we are one in the same. As for the houseplants, just think of how much better the air is in your house as a result of having so many!

@ForteKitty, I have seen some of your collection that you've shared on IG and I can see why you would have a tough time parting with any of it! Especially that epic diamond find from EBay (the pin to soli conversion)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a collector but also actively wear my pieces though only one or two at a time. I’m a minimalist at heart so can’t possibly wear most of my collection the majority of the time. Rather I wear one piece (ring) and earrings if I’m going out. Less commonly I’ll wear a necklace or bracelet. The majority of my collection goes unworn most of the time. But I do eventually wear them. And I just enjoy knowing I have them. ❤️

PPW my ER makes the most financial sense but I don’t always go by that when purchasing.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure what I am. I get to actually buy jewellery so rarely. I haven't gotten anything new in maybe 2 years? I pretty much only buy things I wear daily and rarely change them out.

The things I don't wear are pretty much from my grandmother who while she loved pretty jewellery, had taste more like my husband's than mine. So those pieces are wear for awhile and put back in bank until I want to wear them again. I pretty much wear one necklace when all my chains aren't broken, e ring, wedding ring, and plain bangle that I love from my Aunt. That is it. My jewellery box is honestly more for show because it's handcrafted by my FIL and husband than it is for actually holding jewellery. I think I have more velvet ring boxes in there than actual peices!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picker and collector here. I love browsing and I have a large taste range, but I only buy things which I have thought about for some time. I don’t want to sell pieces because I see them as symbolic of my life experience, and that of those around me. so if I know that I am ready to let go, I give pieces away when I feel inspired to do so, and have been doing that more in this past year.
I wear jewelry everyday, at least a ring in each hand, a bangle or gemstone bracelet, or a cuff, and usually a necklace. I’ve stopped wearing earrings...too fussy with getting masks on and off.
I look at my collection and now sometimes I discover things which I forgot I had, so I’ve slowed collecting. Anyway, I find myself sticking to staple rings and necklaces and mostly use my bracelets for added jewelry curation. It’s a simple formula but it works for me.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not having the time right now to read the previous responses, so my quick and dirty answer is I am Goldilocks. This one is too small. This one is too big. I never find just right so I am forever looking. :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very different in Canada. Prices are ridiculously inflated on jewelry. I'd be a picker if I could. I just love looking at vintage things. The few things I've found on ebay have been lucky finds where I still probably paid too much, but I liked what I'd found. I tend to be more of a hoarder or a Gollum. The preciousess sit in jewel boxes cleaned to the nines, but rarely worn. The more I like something the less I'd wear it because I don't want to damage it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy the way you approach your jewelry makes a lot of sense, I'm sure we would all look like Mr. T if we tried to rock all of it at once ;-)

@MeowMeow, can I just say I adore those velvet ring boxes, they are just so lovely. It's also wonderful that you have some sentimental pieces, even if they aren't exactly your style.

@Bluegemz, how wonderful to give away some pieces to share with others, love that idea. Also how great to go into your collection and discover treasures you had forgotten about, like opening a treasure chest!

@Slick1, goldilocks syndrome, right there with you, what is it they say...half the fun is getting there? Maybe they were talking about jewelry ;-)

@lyra, I don't envy what seems to be all the hurdles of buying things in Canada. At least you have found some treasures even if you had to pay a little more, that's more common than we probably realize among jewelry enthusiasts.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I have to factor in currency conversion too. So that $950 item will actually cost me $1500 by the time I pay duty and shipping. That's why I try to buy from Canada, but it's a miniscule market. OTOH I accept that maybe $950 is a reasonable price in the US, regardless of what it will cost ME.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, I didn't realize how much the duty adds on, my goodness. I know shipping is more expensive because I have shipped to Canada a few times. I wish it was easier for you all around.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I should have been more clear. The conversion adds 30%, duty is 15% and shipping can be $100-$200. When you look at it that way it's a bit depressing I guess, it just means my expectations have to be lower, lol. Ebay and Etsy automatically post items in CAD (but I can see the USD equivalent too).

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Rescuer!

My experience has been that when I see something that fires me up, it’s less because I like it (although I do) and more because I recognize it as something I used to have.... like as if in a previous life (I don’t believe in that) and I know that makes me goofy. But the instant butterfly-in-the-heart surge I feel is the ‘tell’ and I know I have to reach out for it. If I can rescue it, I feel like I’ve regained a part of myself. That probably sounds crazy. I know.

I collected all kinds of things like that over the past year or two, but wasn’t able to retain them. That essentially means that other people rescued those pieces too. How much love can a Jewel soak up?!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Rescuer!

My experience has been that when I see something that fires me up, it’s less because I like it (although I do) and more because I recognize it as something I used to have.... like as if in a previous life (I don’t believe in that) and I know that makes me goofy. But the instant butterfly-in-the-heart surge I feel is the ‘tell’ and I know I have to reach out for it. If I can rescue it, I feel like I’ve regained a part of myself. That probably sounds crazy. I know.

I collected all kinds of things like that over the past year or two, but wasn’t able to retain them. That essentially means that other people rescued those pieces too. How much love can a Jewel soak up?!

There was a ring I swear was mine in a past life, I found it by chance and it felt like I knew it before..but it sold right before my now husband went to get it. Needless to say I was devastated and continue to look hoping to find it again or fill the void.

I was a collector, now I’m a picker. What I pick speaks to me

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@missy the way you approach your jewelry makes a lot of sense, I'm sure we would all look like Mr. T if we tried to rock all of it at once ;-)

@MeowMeow, can I just say I adore those velvet ring boxes, they are just so lovely. It's also wonderful that you have some sentimental pieces, even if they aren't exactly your style.

@Bluegemz, how wonderful to give away some pieces to share with others, love that idea. Also how great to go into your collection and discover treasures you had forgotten about, like opening a treasure chest!

@Slick1, goldilocks syndrome, right there with you, what is it they say...half the fun is getting there? Maybe they were talking about jewelry ;-)

@lyra, I don't envy what seems to be all the hurdles of buying things in Canada. At least you have found some treasures even if you had to pay a little more, that's more common than we probably realize among jewelry enthusiasts.

Those boxes are wonderful! If I had my way I would get one every year lmao.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite, not goofy at all, whatever the reason, I'm sure the previous owners would love knowing that their precious jewel was being worn and loved again. I know when I'm long gone it would bring my spirit great joy to know that my jewelry was being loved and appreciated.

Of course I've already told DH that I want to be decked out at my funeral. Put me in a purple sweat suit and throw all the aurora borealis jewelry from my jewelry box on me. I'm going out with all of it! ;-)

@Smith3, I'm so sorry that you lost out on that piece, believe me if I had bought it, I would gladly sell it to you. Maybe it will reveal itself again in one of your searches, you never know!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, what a wonder it would be if every year around the holidays you got another velvet box, maybe with a little something inside! All different colors, oh my that would be lovely.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada I wouldn't mind that! Well maybe not the him pick the colour part though. I tend to be picky about my colours. But you have an excellent idea there! I'll put that bug in his ear once he has a better big boy job xD Dreams dreams!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results