carat
color
clarity

Are Unions Coming Back? Should They?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Today the Teamsters announced they were going to Unionize Amazon nationally. Amazon drivers make $15 per hr, while UPS drivers make double--30.00hr.
The teamster do represent UPS, Airline pilots and dock workers. They cite safety concerns, peeing in bottles and unfair wages as the reason for this decision.

What are your thoughts. Will it be good for America or bad for America?

Annette

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
How much do FedEx drivers make, and do they have a union?
I know a woman who started with FedEx a year ago and I guarantee she's making more than I am after 16 years in healthcare. Both of us work hard.
Amazon is just rapacious. They could use some controls.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Workers need unions. The American middle class would not exist if it hadn’t been for unions.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Politically im right ring, but i have learnt the value of the union movement first hand and mostly support it
I have read Amazon workers don't get a very fare deal

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we need more unions. Employment in the US is mostly at-will, which isn't fair on employees. Unions offer protection that our laws don't.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally, yes, unions are good. Unfortunately many are corrupt.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ideally, yes, unions are good. Unfortunately many are corrupt.
That's what I think also.
They are good in concept but what they are today is very very far from ideal and many are just flat corrupt.
Growing up my Dad was in the UAW and went through the union wars of the 60s and early 70s with the automakers.
I know I had a better childhood because of a union.
But they sold out a lot in recent years like allowing the auto companies to hire employees from a temp agency for 2 years before they are full employees.
The old union guys would have burnt the plant down before allowing temps on site.
The Union over members objections pays millions to politicians while thanks to the Union supported ACA the healthcare benefits suck compared to the old days. High deductibles and they have to pay a percentage of the premium.
Pre ACA the max out of pocket was $200 per person per year on the worst plan and now thanks to the ACA the best plan is several thousands of dollars out of pocket per person per year with a large payment to upgrade from one that is far worse.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gotta say when I first read the title of this thread I thought it said “Are Unicorns Coming Back? Should They?”

I was like heck yeah! I’m also in favor of unions, unicorns and unions…now THAT would be awesome!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
OMG, YadaYadaYada, I thought that, too. Then I wondered if "union" was another term for moi et tois. Then I wondered if it referred to union suits, the onesies with the drop-seat.
Are we just . . . socially irrelevant?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ibrakeforpossums, speaking for myself, I am just totally shot lol!

Another example, in the grocery store I thought Sumatra tea was Karma Sutra tea! I was like geez I wonder what that tea does to you lol! I actually laughed at myself walking down the aisle like a total nutcase.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I worked in the grocery store I was a member of the union.
They got us raises and were very helpful to me when I had a medical insurance issue.
The union rep would come by the store to check in with us and I felt that they had our back.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
When I worked in the grocery store I was a member of the union.
They got us raises and were very helpful to me when I had a medical insurance issue.
The union rep would come by the store to check in with us and I felt that they had our back.

Help with medical insurance - who couldn't use that these days! We all need an insurance concierge. I don't think there are any more anymore.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help with medical insurance - who couldn't use that these days! We all need an insurance concierge. I don't think there are any more anymore.

Yes, they really went to bat for me.
I called my insurance, and I was told that a procedure was covered.
After the procedure (IUD), I got a bill for $1600. I couldn't seem to get it cleared up with the hospital, so the union rep intervened on my behalf and had the charges removed.

Q

Queenie60

They should. Everyone deserves a fair living—not just CEO’s. Unions are awesome. Don’t see the downside. Fair competition
They should. Everyone deserves a fair living—not just CEO’s. Unions are awesome. Don’t see the downside. Fair competition.

I am sure that the Teacher Union works in many ways. However, I refuse to support a Teacher's Union that supports teaching CRT in our public schools. This is where I draw the line.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 the union does not dictate curriculum. The school district and school board do—and both of these reflect parent input due to voting in school board. The union can only protect teachers when they are abiding by district policy. Trust me. Teachers do not have the freedom to teach what they like.

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

@Queenie60 the union does not dictate curriculum. The school district and school board do—and both of these reflect parent input due to voting in school board. The union can only protect teachers when they are abiding by district policy. Trust me. Teachers do not have the freedom to teach what they like.

Thank you for this information . Now I Iunderstand.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Jeff Bezo, the richest man in the world doesn't want to share the wealth. Amazon doesn't pay any taxes, and the increase in wealth that Bezo enjoys come from investing that wealth. His income is low, as many of the richest people have learned to keep their incomes low for tax purposes. All legal.

Jeff B brain did the work to start-up and build this company, but the worker shares in that build as well. This is no different than steel workers, auto workers ect in past centuries. Amazon needs help in forcing them to share. My only thought against is the Teamsters Union, which as I recall was, corrupt.

In the past, unions wanted too much, and caused their own downfall. Its hard to get a balance. I think we must err on the side of unions in our time.

The teamsters tried to unionize Wal-Mart. The were unsuccessful.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results