shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these pretty much the only 5 stone graduated designs?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Final stretch! Pricing out settings! Sheww. I want this over...

Decided on a 5 stone graduated setting. I'm trying to get my thoughts together for execution and searching the internet feverishly! Most seem to fall into the below basic styles or "looks". Igoring small details such as shape of prongs, size of diamonds, etc. are these pretty much the choices for 5 stone?

I had my mind on 4, double claw prongs and single claws on sides. Size is 2.16 RB.

1# Has 4 prongs ....no basket (bar) on center worries me for stability (?) U prong I think. Least fav.

2# This style creates 8 prongs. Side stones are sitting in a basket. This is my favorite style, but not sure about 8 prongs. Wasn't on my radar. Overwhelm center?

3# Same overall look as #2. Has four prongs and an added a basket across center stone for extra support. Sides also sit in a basket. Second favorite or I suppose tie for first.

4# Basket center, u prong sides (setting is graduated as currently shown).

Thinking these are probably pretty much the choices I have with little variations w/in.

Thanks!

screenshot_2015-10-03-08-29-24-1.png

screenshot_2015-10-03-16-07-05.png

screenshot_2015-09-27-17-34-36-1.png

20150908_4.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Are these pretty much the only 5 stone graduated designs

Top of 8 prong

Top of four claw double prong

screenshot_15.png

screenshot_2015-10-02-16-54-33.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In my opinion most 3stone designs can be adjusted to fit a 5 stone. Have you seen a 3stone style you love?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Niel,
Thank you for the idea. I ended up searching three stone settings also since it was hard to find 5 stone round. I was primarily focused on 5 stone. Smart!

The three stone I seemed to lean toward resemble #2,3. At least I am consistent! :)

Off to search more.

How do you feel about 8 prongs? I sort of like it because it's unique but then again I feel double claw prongs are somewhat unique also. BTW, Im leaning toward your advice with .35-.40 for tops and .15s for second side....going smaller on the second diamond down. I've been studying.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1443909475|3934563 said:
Hi Niel,
Thank you for the idea. I ended up searching three stone settings also since it was hard to find 5 stone round. I was primarily focused on 5 stone. Smart!

The three stone I seemed to lean toward resemble #2,3. At least I am consistent! :)

Off to search more.

How do you feel about 8 prongs? I sort of like it because it's unique but then again I feel double claw prongs are somewhat unique also. BTW, Im leaning toward your advice with .35-.40 for tops and .15s for second side....going smaller on the second diamond down. I've been studying.

In LOVE with a 8 prong center

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Ohhhhhh! Good to know Niel!

The more I look...I may agree! I feel it really boils down to profile (basket or none). Found a 6 prong version. It may reminds me of a tulip. Not on my short list but if anyone searching for trellis ring ideas. BG. Pretty :)

Oh man, why do I have this tiny little feeling in my gut that I picked a very expensive ring to make? Ugh :( I bought a mansion but can't put any furniture in it! Lol!

Darn it.

screenshot_2015-10-03-07-46-35-1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is expensive, but there are ways around that.

Buying at least the first set, if not the first and smaller set, yourself it'll be cheaper.

Getting the setting from someone who isn't too expensive like DK will help too.

It's not exactly the same, but my setting for my 5 stone was well below your max budget of 4k.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm the owner of the originals of the #2 five-stone and the original three-stone on which HOT's BGD five-stone is based... and I don't believe this necessarily needs to be an expensive project: I think trellis designs are very well-suited to casting - better, in many ways, than hand-forging.

Which is probably blasphemy on PS, but I do speak from experience. Casting permits smooth graduations in wire thickness that hand-forging simply does not, and when the entire design is wire, those nuances add much-needed liveliness and dimension. Casting also allows "unrealistic" element joins - transitions that might work really well with the aesthetic you're going for but that wouldn't flow naturally given single pieces of wire...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to share the CADS from my in-progress 5-stone ring being made my Michael E (inspired by Yssie's gorgeous rings). I was going through a similar dilemma as you in terms of finding the right setting, style, etc. So hopefully my pics help a bit to see another option.

katherine_set_hightop_view_3.jpg katherine_set_high_front.jpg

I'm using all aussie sapphires--so ignore the pure blue color in the CADS-- and the approximate cost (both stones + setting) is around half of your budget--so hopefully that makes you feel a bit better about potential cost!

Keep us updated on your progress!!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock

I love this setting. It is made by David Klass. It can be made into a 5 stone. It has beautiful engraving on the band and wonderful milgraining on the edges. Just trying to give you one more option

Good luck! :bigsmile:

_448.jpeg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Lovedogs (me too! Boxers!) and Lovemybling, we were post same time.

Lovemybling, thank you very much for taking the time to post the photo. It's not quite my taste? A little too feminine? Very beautiful ring. Ty!

Lovedogs, ohhhh....yesss..... :) we will need to chat. Michael E? IDK?.....Such a great looking CAD! You even kept the 8 prong. Diamonds will run more $$ but possibly there is a way .....wow! May I ask what the ratio is in diamond sizes? That looks pretty spot on! I honestly would feel slightly better about a basket across the center stone for security. I've had a couple nightmare settings with stones coming loose and/or even fall out!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Niel,
I feel like you have been here with me through my whole journey. You are one of a few PSes who really have held my hand through this process. Thank you! Yes...a way around..

Yssie, your name is a regular in my house! Haha! Believe me your ring is quite stunning and I almost feel as if everyone in the world knows it! Most beautiful work of art I have ever seen! Breathtaking and stunning! I confess I priced it out at least a month ago with your designer. Apparently I have no clue how much a hand forged ring would cost! Lol! It is not even on the realm of possibilities. I am perfectly fine with casting rings I own several and have never had a visual issue. I have a hand crafted ring and definitely can see (and feel) the difference. At this point it's something I may have to sacrifice for the beauty (and more importantly, the cost) coupled w my center stone.

I have priced out w Steve Kir... $5k ( need to see what diamond size measurements I gave him because I was flip flopping for a while and decided on smaller for more of a contrast)...... I have an email into a local jeweler in my area as well as I D J who I bought the loose diamond from. I would love to give them the business since they had been more than accommodating and patient. Ok, getting there.... breathe

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Something different but still graduated.

rl5a_cad.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Swingirl for the attachment. It is quite unique!! Lovely design. Not quite what I am looking for at this time. Amazing how everyone can dig up such pretty rings :)

I think for the most part, #2 and #3 are the choices that I am considering (minus the details or small tweeks). #2 being top choice.....bit thinner prongs.

May I ask???

Is the center stone on #3 more secure bc it has a basket? Worry the diamond would have less stability in #2 with the 8 prong design. I've noticed in some designs with the 8 prongs, the diamond appears to "float" & in others, the center is sitting lower. Is this a concern or do I simply request it sits low in the trellis? Maybe this is where it is important to select a good vendor/bench jeweler.

I would love the ring to be as lowset as possible for this design. Guessing it may be a plus to keep the center lower in the trellis for multiple reasons. (Pictures below showing one center "tucked down", one floating a bit). Will cleaning be a problem?

Do either look casted?

screenshot_17.png

screenshot_19.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1443917020|3934608 said:
Lovedogs (me too! Boxers!) and Lovemybling, we were post same time.

Lovemybling, thank you very much for taking the time to post the photo. It's not quite my taste? A little too feminine? Very beautiful ring. Ty!

Lovedogs, ohhhh....yesss..... :) we will need to chat. Michael E? IDK?.....Such a great looking CAD! You even kept the 8 prong. Diamonds will run more $$ but possibly there is a way .....wow! May I ask what the ratio is in diamond sizes? That looks pretty spot on! I honestly would feel slightly better about a basket across the center stone for security. I've had a couple nightmare settings with stones coming loose and/or even fall out!

Hi there :wavey:
Sorry, I spend most of my time in the CS forum, and he is on the "trusted vendor" sticky, but I forget that isn't on RT. Michael E is the owner of Gem Shoppe http://www.gemshoppe.com/index.html.. I also took inspiration from Yssie in terms of proportions, but my ring is smaller overall. The center is a 7.5 or 7.7mm round, the next pair are 4mm, and the smallest are 3mm. I forget exactly what that is in diamond weight, but I've been thinking in mm sizes the whole time to avoid getting confused by diamond vs. sapphires weight. I hope that helps, and I'll definitely post pictures when I get the actual ring in hand.

When you talk about a basket across the center, what do you mean? Different from the bar thing that goes across the center stone? Or maybe you mean something else that I'm missing. Sorry, my knowledge of all the terms in rings isn't the best :oops:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The prongs are holding the stone so the basket isn't going to keep the stone "tighter", but if you prefer the look of course you could do it.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi :) Lovedogs,
Thank you for the info. Did a bit of searching and found Michael E. Sent him a detailed email for a price quote. I am really hoping IDJ pulls through and come back with a competitive price. Prefer to complete the process with them since they have been wonderful. Pricing around though.

Yssies proportions are pretty darn perfect! :) Your ring also looks like it is going to turn out wonderful! CAD is looking great! I will need to hunt you down on the CS section in a bit to see the finished product!!
4mm is about a .25 ct. Chart attached. :)

Yes, I am referring to the bar across the center stone. If I'm accurate, that type of head is called a "basket". Pic below. :) :)

images__17_.jpg

screenshot_2015-10-03-13-57-28-1.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

VRBeauty,
Thank you for taking the time to post the four links. I have never seen anything like the last two! They were very beautiful and unique! I'm sure somebody will stumble across this thread one day who is looking for a 5 stone ring and hopefully one of those will inspire them :). So far, still leaning toward #2 and #3. :)

Specifically the 8 prong, unless someone chimes in and can state a reason of concern with not having a basket for stability of the center stone. I like the side view. Still love love 4 double claw prongs. Maybe there is a way to combine the side profile of the 8 with 4 double. Hummmm..... I also need to read up if 8 prong will smother my center. That is a lot of metal! Especially claws reaching over the girdle and stretching over the center. I'm thinking as long as the claws thin out a bit as they climb, it should be ok.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1443997621|3934821 said:
VRBeauty,
Thank you for taking the time to post the four links. I have never seen anything like the last two! They were very beautiful and unique! I'm sure somebody will stumble across this thread one day who is looking for a 5 stone ring and hopefully one of those will inspire them :). So far, still leaning toward #2 and #3. :)

Specifically the 8 prong, unless someone chimes in and can state a reason of concern with not having a basket for stability of the center stone. I like the side view. Still love love 4 double claw prongs. Maybe there is a way to combine the side profile of the 8 with 4 double. Hummmm..... I also need to read up if 8 prong will smother my center. That is a lot of metal! Especially claws reaching over the girdle and stretching over the center. I'm thinking as long as the claws thin out a bit as they climb, it should be ok.

The profile you're after won't be possible with a double claw 4 prong center. The trellis would have to have two wires to "meet" or one set to split into 2 prongs. I don't think either will work for the "Yessie style" you keep posting.

Now that doesn't mean you can't have it, you just have to pic that profile or double claw prongs.

As for your q regarding the metal. Look at the last two rings you posted. Neither of those have diamonds in them as large as yours. Yes, its smaller than Yessies, but its much larger than those.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your eight prongs would have to be downright chunky to overwhelm a 2.4 ct center stone. ;))

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Got it Niel :) TY! Really like the swoopy look. 8 it most likely will be!

VRBeauty,
Not to split hairs, it's a 2.16. Dropped to an eyeclean SI2 to be able to squeeze out a 2ct. 2.4ct ....that would be nice!! I hear your point.

I also noticed I was spelling Yessie's name wrong. Left out the first E. Sorry Yessie. :(

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Lovedogs,
I have been studying profiles and contacted Michael E. for a price quote. Nice fella.

Looking at your CAD, I wonder if the four prongs can be merged together to make a double claw somehow? Pushed together (little space between).

I am not sure I can commit to a 8 prong center stone. When I view the four prong center stone image, I see a lot of "V"s. (Would have baskets on all stones). It's as if the diamonds are individual heads lined up in a row. Prefer the other look as you and Yessie have. Swoopy :)

Niel,
You commented earlier and thought it was not possible to combine the looks. Sure? Squeeze those top prongs together?? Maybe if prongs are a bit off center (wider N,S,E,W-- prong settings). I know it would change the swoop line a bit but avoids the "V" look the other ring below shows.

image003-1.jpg

_34768.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Drew it up pinching top prongs together to make double claws (4). ...if that is done, makes a "V" shape in a way on the first side stone (upper). Ends up looking near the same. defeats purpose. Humm...

I also like how Lovedogs and Yessies side stones do not have upper prongs. Rather, has the basked attached to the prongs of the diamond beside it,.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Update:
Defiantly going with IDJ to create the setting. Trying to figure out a way to have 8 prongs ( <3 profile) w/o such a "perfect circle" of prongs around the center diamond. Considering elimomatimg the N/S prongs by pushing four prongs slight left & four slightly right. I understand this may not accentuate the center stones round shape as much. Same argument others may state using 4 prongs on a round. Still working out prong details....

Will post pics :)

Thank you all for your numerous ideas & help!

Lovedogs,
Please share your completed ring! I will check the colored stone forum.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Cinnamon! Sorry I missed the update to this thread---glad you found that IDJ can do this style for you because I know you wanted to use them from the beginning :) I will definitely keep you updated, and you do the same! I'm excited for you! :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cinnamonstick I wanted to update you that I received my ring :) I posted about it over in CS, but here are a few pics as well (excuse the cell phone quality--its the only camera I have). I'm thrilled with it, and I hope to see pics of yours soon :appl:

20151029_191333.jpg 20151029_150528.jpg 20151029_182854(0).jpg 20151029_182831.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results