shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there any tricks to removing stuck thread?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pearl obsession continues. I love stringing and restringing them. The one problem I've run into a few times is when I've knotted them too close and I can't get the thread out. I had it happen recently with a really pretty tahitian and I can't get it out. Do you guys have any tricks? I tried sticking my needle in either side and the needle just gets all bent up. I love that damned pearl and really want it in my strand.

TIA!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supposedly the best way is with a drill or Dremel tool, with 0.7mm drill bit. You want the drill bit to be a little smaller than the existing hole as you are just drilling thread, not pearl.

However not everyone likes using a power tool to drill something small. There is always the danger of drilling one's fingers! On a discussion thread about this topic on the other pearl forum a trade member suggested using a pin vise with a small drill bit. This tool isn't powered-- you turn it with your fingers. I just asked my machinist husband if he had one and he said yes, so I'm going to be shopping for a small drill bit soon!

Apart from this, I've read where some have succeeded-- with time and patience-- in pulling out wisps of the silk thread at a time using a fine pin with the end shaped into a slight hook. One suggested soaking the silk thread first. However, no use of needles or pins has ever worked for me. I tried using a reamer but that just widened the hole unacceptably.

cmwpearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just try to burn it first with a torch and then use drill bit.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Supposedly the best way is with a drill or Dremel tool, with 0.7mm drill bit. You want the drill bit to be a little smaller than the existing hole as you are just drilling thread, not pearl.

However not everyone likes using a power tool to drill something small. There is always the danger of drilling one's fingers! On a discussion thread about this topic on the other pearl forum a trade member suggested using a pin vise with a small drill bit. This tool isn't powered-- you turn it with your fingers. I just asked my machinist husband if he had one and he said yes, so I'm going to be shopping for a small drill bit soon!

Apart from this, I've read where some have succeeded-- with time and patience-- in pulling out wisps of the silk thread at a time using a fine pin with the end shaped into a slight hook. One suggested soaking the silk thread first. However, no use of needles or pins has ever worked for me. I tried using a reamer but that just widened the hole unacceptably.

Thank you! I got a pin vise! hopefully it does the trick.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just try to burn it first with a torch and then use drill bit.

I didn't have a drill bit handy, but I just ordered one. Hopefully it does the trick.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do tell us if it works!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread (pun appropriate) is making me even more nervous about learning to knott

There are all sorts of weird things/errors I’ve made in my short time knotting, but for the most part it’s all easily fixable, except this one. But hopefully the pin vise does the trick

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve done this. More times than I care to count. The pull on fibers one by one almost always works, though it can take a bl**dy long time… Unless there's glue involved one thing to *not* do is soak the pearl, though! Getting the stuck knot swollen and waterlogged just makes it stuck-er and it also weakens the fibers you might have otherwise been able to pull on ;(

Hope the mini vise and baby bit work out!!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just for your general information people.. Wen pearls sells bits for drills. You can order a multitude of sizes. I find the handy to just clean out a pearl or slightly enlarge a drill hole. If you get a .6 or .7 or both.. you can always just hold it in your fingers. Of course a hand held drill vice is easier and they are handy.

I generally just use my pearl drill to go through the hole again and it drills out the thread but for a simple clean out I just use the bit in my fingers.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can get tiny drill bits via eBay or Alibaba too. Just remember that they do not bend. You must hold them straight or they will break.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results