shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there any downsides to a 900 Platinum / 100 Iridium mix?

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
I'm still considering having Vatche create a custom ring for me (assuming it won't command a huge price increase) with a 900/100 Plat/Irid mix due to all I'm hearing about its scratch resistance and polish retention properties. What I'm wondering is if there are any downsides to this mix that I should be aware of. the 950/50 Plat/Ruthenium mix, for example, is said to be slightly darker and not as shiny as the traditional 950/50 Plat/Irid mix (at least in Vatche's opinion). Would going for higher Iridium cause a decrease in quality, whiteness, shininess, or any other attribute? I'm assuming the traditional mix is traditional for a reason, yet given the price of platinum you'd think a higher content of another alloy such as Iridium would be more cost effective, unless Iridium is even more expensive than platinum is. I'm still waiting for word on whether Vatche would be open to this, but what are your thoughts in the meantime?

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: Are there any downsides to a 900 Platinum / 100 Iridium

Hi, each manufacturer has a certain mixture that they've grown comfortable to using. I think the difference going from cast 950 to 900 won't be huge, it'll be more subtle. My experience has been that 90/10 iridium mixture has a nicer more white color than other mixtures and scratches slightly less easier than other ones. If they can do a 90/10 Iridium mixture for you then I would go ahead and take them up on the offer. There shouldn't be any price difference. Iridium Btw. is not that much more inexpensive than Platinum per ounce and it makes up for that for its very high density.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

My rings are 10% irid/plat, and after 5 years of constant wear they are still quite shiny, and have not developed a noticeable patina at all. They do have scratches and nicks from normal wear, of course, but have held up extremely well.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This would be my input.

More here: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pt purity is by weight and not volume, see the post by John. A 950 Pt/Ru actually has almost as much Pt as a 900 Pt/Ir but Ru is significantly cheaper than Ir.

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock

That was a great read John! Thanks! :)

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock

One more thing: do Pt950/Ir and Pt900/Ir rings look identical? I ask because if I get the e-ring in Pt900 and my potential fiancee likes a wedding band that's Pt950/Ir, I'd hate for the two not to match.

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock

Stone-cold11|1301682088|2885312 said:

That chart is very interesting and I've seen it before, but it doesn't chart out the specific 900Plat/Ir mix, just the standard 950Plat/Ir. Has anybody seen these two metals side by side to offer a comparison?

Also, the only actual downside I'm finding about 900Plat/Ir is that it's not considered "official" platinum jewelry by some international standards (hence 950's continued preference in international jewelry manufacturers), and because of that it's harder to find and may involve more expensive custom work to get it done. Is there anything else I'm missing? It seems to me that if 900Plat/Ir looks identical to 950 Plat/Ir and is also more durable/stronger, then it's actually a superior alloy unless you are doing fine details where the slightly softer characteristics of 950 make the job easier (or are selling internationally and want to stay in spec).

FelixMakes

Rough_Rock
Trade

My experience with 900 Platinum is that it cracks easier then 950 platinum. Im in the belief that Plat 950 has prevailed over the years as the jewelry standard because the security that it provides.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FelixMakes|1358377576|3357252 said:
My experience with 900 Platinum is that it cracks easier then 950 platinum. Im in the belief that Plat 950 has prevailed over the years as the jewelry standard because the security that it provides.

If you are in the trade, you have to read the policies and identify yourself correctly.

And I am afraid the information you posted is contrary to what most of the experts here have posted over time as well.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

... and this thread is almost 2 years old...

FelixMakes

Rough_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1358381418|3357302 said:
FelixMakes|1358377576|3357252 said:

If you are in the trade, you have to read the policies and identify yourself correctly.

And I am afraid the information you posted is contrary to what most of the experts here have posted over time as well.

Thank you for informing me. I am a trade person and my file has been updated.

This is just my experience with platinum 900. 950 is softer, easier to work with, more mailable, less problems in casting. I don't use 900 often for the reason it is more difficult to work with and cracks easier. I only cast it by request.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results