shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there any colored stones that scintillate like diamonds?

Joseybird

Rough_Rock
I'm curious, because I personally prefer sparkle to depth of color. It woukd be nice to know what colored stones, if any, when properly cut sparkle like diamonds.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Are there any colored stones that scintillate like diamo

I don't think anything scintillates like a well-cut diamond, but some well-cut zircons are pretty sparkly.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

zircons

Joseybird

Rough_Rock

Thanks! :)

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What about demantoid?

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem|1489771409|4141286 said:

Question for Gene: Would sphalerite fall into this category as well? I know it has a Moh's hardness of 3.5 to 4 so it can't be used for rings. I don't even know if it can be set into any jewellery (?).

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Poodles4me|1489788956|4141403 said:

Question for Gene: Would sphalerite fall into this category as well? I know it has a Moh's hardness of 3.5 to 4 so it can't be used for rings. I don't even know if it can be set into any jewellery (?).

Yes very much so.

What gives a diamond that "fire" or rainbow of color look is actually dispersion no so much the high refractive index, although most stones that do have high dispersion also have higher refractive index.

Sphalerite is very high dispersion at 0.156
Diamond is 0.044

Demantiod garnet and sphere are both higher than diamond with values of 0.057 and 0.051

Zircon, spessartite, tanzanite and peridot are also pretty high, stones such as the aquamarine, amethyst are very low.

Dispersion is the measure of the difference of the speed of both ends of the visible light spectrum travel through through the stone. High dispersion cause you to see the rainbow effect of colors of light in the stone.

The cutter can either play up or play down the dispersion denpending on the design of the cut and angles used.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock

I stand corrected -- thanks Gene!

P.S. We have been oogling your rough in progress. But you probably already know that!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sphalerite is the most beautiful high dispersion gem IMO, it puts diamond to shame. I really wish they were harder and more durable, but then the prices might rival diamond per carat then.

I own one and its mesmerizing, but it remains in a plastic gem jar forever.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

TL|1489818345|4141496 said:

Sphalerite is the most beautiful high dispersion gem IMO, it puts diamond to shame. I really wish they were harder and more durable, but then the prices might rival diamond per carat then.

TL - I would love to see a picture of your sphalerite. It's a shame that something so beautiful cannot be worn.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Poodles4me|1489852591|4141536 said:
TL|1489818345|4141496 said:

TL - I would love to see a picture of your sphalerite. It's a shame that something so beautiful cannot be worn.

Mine is similar in color to this, but it's a trillion and much smaller, like 3 carats. There are tons of sphalerite videos on YouTube, which showcases their beauty far better than any still photo. I will also say that these stones have barely any noticeable tilt window depending on the cut. This is a true sign of a high dispersion gem.

Since they're softer than glass, you have to be very careful with them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mtIFR1fHKck

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just my personal preference - demantoids, the ones without horse tails (Namibian ones) and lighter ones are more dispersive. Another version of the same stone, topazolite, is yellow, and very dispersive, too. I don't know where new ones (lighter) Mahenge garnets would fall dispersion-wise, but visually they seem to have potential. Also, Merelani mint garnets are as dispersive as spessartites.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results