shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the under-40s done with perfume and wristwatches?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had NO idea lilies were toxic! No idea at all! Makes sense, given how strong their scent is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's just say I'm old and haven't applied perfume since my teens and stopped wearing watches a good 10 years ago.

Reactions: AV_

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Early 50's here and I don't wear a watch and can't stand perfume. However, I did like obsession in my 20's. Now, I seek out unscented products. Unscented hand soap, face soap, use unscented dove in the shower, unscented detergent. The only product I buy that has a scent is shampoo/conditioner because that is impossible to avoid.

My 21 year old daughter likes perfume but knows to not wear it at home. She also wears a watch. Not an apple watch, a regular analog watch. It is actually one of my old watches that she use to admire when she was growing up. It looks better on her than me :)

Hikari

Rough_Rock
I know this is an odd combo - perfume and watches - but they are two things that I've noticed people under 40 don't seem to use.

Perfume - this seems to be seriously out of fashion. I love perfume and use it every day. But I never smell it on anyone else, and no one ever comments on mine. 25 years ago, people would remark on your perfume and ask what it was, and I think people wore it more. Even so, in my teens/twenties (born late Sixties/early Seventies) I don't remember many people wearing it. Perhaps people wore it more in the Fifties and Sixties? When I was around 10-12, I remember a craze for scented body sprays.

What do people think? Did people wear perfume more in decades past? Do you smell it on people in your everyday life? I have a very sharp sense of smell, and perfume seems to be non-existent now. To me, that's a pity, because I love nice scents.

Watches - I've read that the decline in watch-wearing is down to phones. Perhaps the Apple watch has helped reverse this to some extent. But I was thinking, recently, that watches are still the best for telling the time, because I hate having to dig through my bag to find my phone instead of just looking at my wrist, and if you lose your phone, you don't know what time it is! Phones are great, but IMHO, you can't beat the convenience and security of a watch on your wrist for good time-keeping.

Do you wear a non-Apple watch, and approximately what age are you?

No perfume. I prefer to let my natural essence linger. 8-) I would rather smell someone smelling like laundry detergent than roses and citrus or whatever.

I do wear my Fitbit. Tell me the time, who is calling or txting and confirms when I’m tired of other people’s bs and my heart rate rises.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had NO idea lilies were toxic! No idea at all! Makes sense, given how strong their scent is.

and that yellow pollen
you will never get it off your wallpaper !
i must admit i used to enjoy them in the garden but once the late, great Tinky came into our lives i never wanted to take the risk

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i feel sad for people who can't tolerat scented soaps, washing powders etc
the unscented everyday stuff is so much more exspensive

i love fruit scented body wash and soap but my SIL thought that was absurd
i have guava and strawberry scented dish wash liquid

i used to love Norsca soap (pine, birch and something or other :mrgreen2: ) and deoderant but i don't think its available here any more

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JrJ - Prior to my husband's retirement I attended many different functions with him. I would always ask if it involved a stand-up cocktail reception. If so I would decline. It's never fun worrying if you are going to faint. I've been somewhat better since I have gone on daily preventative medication for my migraines. It's a BP medication even though I don't have high blood pressure. I can stand longer without starting to wobble like a Weeble (lol).

@AprilBaby - I feel your pain with the flowers. Lilies are the worst. One whiff and I have an instantaneous migraine with nausea. I was at a company dinner (about 200 people) with my husband once and the organizers thought it would be nice to have lilies on every table because it was spring and close to Easter. They were very pretty but a number of us got migraines but one woman had to be taken to the hospital.

It is really difficult to explain scent sensitivities to people who don't have them. My own sister got mad at me when I kindly asked if she could refrain from using her vanilla handcream as it was a migraine trigger. I was polite and tried to stress it was reaction I couldn't control. She was a house guest at the time and we were only together for 4 days. I offered her an unscented product to use while she stayed with us.

All of this!! I refuse to hang out with/ invite people over who insist on wearing perfumes or colognes. Even my partner has complained that I don't let him wear his admittedly only lightly scented deodorant. I told him he could leave, haha! My choice entirely, I know. But i do not want them to make me sick!

Lilies are deathly toxic to my cats too. I never have them in my house.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Older Millenial here. I used to wear a watch and perfume every day in high school but once I got to college I stopped wearing perfume. Then in my 20s I stopped wearing watches after smartphones came out. I find now that I actively dislike strong scents and if I am sitting next to someone who has a lot of perfume, I have to move away as the smell can cause migraines and/or nausea.

This is a timely topic, here are a few interesting articles I've recently read about the watch industry:

https://www.europastar.ch/le-carnet/729-l-esprit-de-corps-horloger-c-est-maintenant-ou.html (French only)

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I dab perfume on every morning, and I wear a very simple Citizen wristwatch. I've had an Apple Watch and a Fitbit for a number of years now (first-gen Apple Watch), and I got tired of feeling like a walking data farm. I also just bought two wind-up travel alarm clocks, each of which is nearly half a century old. Much like me. :cool2:

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
I am 32 and oh lawd, if you could only see my perfume collection. I absolutely love scents, and love picking what I smell like for the day! It's true I don't know a lot of people who love them as much as I do, but I wouldn't say most of my friends are opposed to them. A lot of the folks I know are into "natural" beauty, so they enjoy the essential oils and such.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
many years ago in my very early 20s the Body shop came to town and we all fell in love witj dewberry
talk about two much of a good thing !

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re super toxic to cats - even the water from a vase of lilies or some pollen can kill a cat.
I used to find Chloe Intense off-putting then for a lovely 5-6 years I was able to wear it and now I’m back to finding it unbearable. My husband has a couple of scents that, depending on the day, I either love them or cannot stand them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love aftershave as a man walks past

didn't happen a lot in a building supplies store but if a builder smelt nice i always complimented him (because poo they get stinky)

Ellyfm

Rough_Rock
I’m under 40.

I hate perfume. Most that I have tried cause me to break out in a rash (and yes even expensive stuff) and I end up with a headache. Perfume wearing has been discouraged in the workplaces I have worked in.
I wear a watch everyday and own a few different styles that I mix and match with my other jewellery. I didn’t wear one in my 20s (relied on my phone) but bought one as my 30th birthday present to myself and have been wearing them since.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know much about perfume, however when it comes to watches I think there will always be a niche market at the very minimum. I was listening to a watch guy and his explanation is that watches are now like a gadget or luxury item from a time gone by, and there's always people out there collecting that kind of stuff.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am super sensitive to many fragrances but the ones I wear cause me no reaction. Tihota, Vaniglia Del Madagascar and Vetiver Tonka. Safe (and beautiful) perfumes for me...and that is saying something.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love perfume, mostly, but not all, vintages. There are ways to wear them that don't gas people. One of the things that happened in the 80s and on, was that dab bottles gave way to spray bottles. Perfume wears and projects differently depending on how it's applied. Dabbed perfume of any concentration wears closer to the skin. Spray application is easy to overdo, as it is spread over a larger skin area, and tends to volatilize more all at once. So if you're going to wear spray perfume, spray it on skin only, let it dry, THEN get dressed. Do this at least an hour before going out in public. You should be good.

Oh, and about those "unscented" products? Functional perfumers, the great unsung heroes of scent, go to great lengths to cover the scents of the various ingredients in cleaning products like detergents. Even those unscented products have perfume ingredients (in this case NOT natural ones) being used to create an impression of "unscented". If it was really "perfume free", it would likely stink. Sometimes, a great fine perfumer starts with a career in functional perfumery. Think Sophia Grojsman.

So watches. I adore watches. I have about 10? Some gifted to me, none terribly expensive, all of them quartz. I have a delicate little Seiko moonphase (a gift) and two Bulovas with diamonds (neither even came close to breaking the bank), and several Citizen Eco-Drives since I don't like having to replace batteries. I wish I had the money for a mechanical watch with the movement viewable from the back, but they are more expensive and it's hard to find those in a size that isn't too big for most female wrists. So I just get my fix by admiring my husband's Hamiltons.

So watches aren't "gadgets". They are timekeeping devices that don't require a constant plug-in to actually work and don't require me to fumble around to find them before I can use them. I'm pretty opposed to anything that demands that I have to fiddle with it all the time and feed it electricity or update it. All of mine can also get wet in a pinch and not turn into a hunk of junk. When I am gone and every Apple watch is obsolete and relegated to the recycle bin, most of my watches, none of which are trendy in any way, will still be ticking away.

Of course I'm over 40. A bit. But I do hope to infect my niece with a love of a good watch. We've already started with our slightly older nephew, who received a Timex field watch for Christmas. He should be able to wear that one into adulthood without a problem. Word has it that he does actually wear it to school, so yay. (He's almost 13)

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
So watches. I adore watches. I have about 10? Some gifted to me, none terribly expensive, all of them quartz. I have a delicate little Seiko moonphase (a gift) and two Bulovas with diamonds (neither even came close to breaking the bank), and several Citizen Eco-Drives since I don't like having to replace batteries. I wish I had the money for a mechanical watch with the movement viewable from the back, but they are more expensive and it's hard to find those in a size that isn't too big for most female wrists. So I just get my fix by admiring my husband's Hamiltons.

Victorinox makes 40mm watches with peekaboo backs. I love mine.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 32 and oh lawd, if you could only see my perfume collection. I absolutely love scents, and love picking what I smell like for the day! It's true I don't know a lot of people who love them as much as I do, but I wouldn't say most of my friends are opposed to them. A lot of the folks I know are into "natural" beauty, so they enjoy the essential oils and such.

There is a thread here dedicated to those who love scents. Join in!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Under-30 here. Never wore watches or perfume. I have eczema, so I'm basically restricted to scentless products, ranging from makeup to skincare. I discovered just how badly my skin reacts in a pretty bad way after gym class one day.

Also never got into watches because it seems obsolete to me. Either my phone or my laptop are always within arm's reach, so why bother? I also hate feeling any weight on my wrists thanks to mild carpal tunnel. But I mostly don't wear one since I vastly prefer my phone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wear perfume for me & this is a statement about intensity also; the strong feel like a hammer, sound like dronning ,( - so I pay the price. I would not be happy without perfume in the house.

I sort of remember what a watch is; I have stopped using a cellphone, so perhaps one of those will do.

not 45

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have started wearing my favorite fragrances every day now. Never more true than before to "live in the moment" and enjoy right now. I will leave the rest of that thought unwritten for obvious reasons. :/

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
I'm 28 and I'll never be done with either! I wear my Tank Francaise every single day and thanks to my mom I have a mean perfume habit. Until recently I rotated Tom Ford fragrances daily. Then I tried F***ing Fabulous and it broke me out in hives almost immediately so I'm on a bit of a perfume break. Thinking Santa Maria Novella will be my next go to for fragrances

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
I’m 32yo and Perfumes and Watches are essential to me. I have a collection of both. When it comes to perfume I put one in each of my bags which I regularly use. Because you never know when you need to reapply perfume when you’re out. And another three on the table which I rotate on. In the Philippines there’s a saying that the hot weather makes the perfume “go bad” easily so the AC is always on to preserve them. I have a bunch of watches but only regularly wear two which I rotate on. The Rolex I got from my dad who passed away is special to me. And another Rolex I just really like.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Jambalaya I remember reading a Newsweek article years ago that said air pollution and global warming have made allergies more common and also more severe than decades past.

Under 40; I wear perfume occasionally. I prefer the more distinctive ones like Chanel No. 5, L'Heure Bleue, and Mitsouko, as well as some Clinique ones, though not Clinique Happy. Don't like too many synthetic ingredients, prefer floral. I only wear perfume for myself or my SO to smell. I like slim FitBits rather than a fancy watch, which may feel too heavy on my wrist. I think I would get tired of one watch as a fashion accessory, but it feels like since most watches take batteries it's wasteful to have more watches and not wear them. I've become dependent on FitBit to track sleep for me. After I stopped going out because I was in a steady relationship, I stopped spending on fashion and started spending on gems instead.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
DH and I are under 40 and both wear mechanical watches and fragrances.

We have entry level watches with no intentions of upgrading to new rolexes but watches nonetheless. We still think they’re functional. I only switched to mechanical because I was sick of getting batteries changed.

We both also like to smell nice. I have a small perfume collection I’m trying to keep under control, or at least fit on my dedicated perfume tray. I like to switch it up to avoid adapting to any one perfume.

Nearly 30. I adore perfume, so much so that I apply it everyday despite having not left my house in what seems like an absolute century. Same goes for watches - I feel naked without one. I also really dislike smart watches and will never get one. There’s something so timeless about a classy analog watch!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Gen X here.

Oh wow. I hope I can get across to you (as some others in this thread have already done) how VERY sick perfume can make some people. Like me. And my kids.

I come from a family that were all big scent users. I grew up around perfume, and I used it. I was actually ok with most scents in the 80s. But something happened to scents around the early 90s (or to me), and things changed. I noticed it first with Sunflowers, which my sister was wearing (someone else mentioned this same perfume up thread). One whiff and BAM. Instantaneous, horrific nausea. It lasted for hours. I begged her not to wear it.

The next time it happened was with a cologne of my dad’s called Joop! Same thing. Now, years later, I cannot tolerate any scents at all. I have had migraines for years, so I don’t know whether the initial sensitivity was my migraines beginning or perfume formulas changing.

But I can tell you that a whiff of perfume (no matter how subtle you think it is) on someone near me can ruin my whole day by giving me a severe migraine, complete with major pain and nausea. Sometimes it is a multiple day migraine. It tends to be the worst in environments where I can’t move, like church or movie theaters or football games. I haven’t flown since 2016, and this is a huge part of the reason why. I can’t fathom getting stuck next to someone who has doused themselves in a substance that is like poison to me. Yes, I have migraine meds. No, they are not instantaneous, and the particular kind of headache brought on by perfume is usually so strong that my prescription triptan plus two rescue meds for nausea struggles to touch it. I am not kidding when I say it is a day ended for me.

@kenny said: “more likely they just don’t like fragrances, but do not accept personal responsibility for their crap regarding their choices.”

I honestly don’t know how I could accept more personal responsibility for my health and trying to improve it than I do. I work out like a fiend, I eat really well, I drink very little, I take a daily migraine preventative and every 12 weeks get 31 injections of Botox as a further migraine preventative. With all of that I still average 7 migraines per month.

Yes, scents make some people sick. Even if you don’t like it.

I have two teenagers, one with diagnosed migraines. She has had a scent sensitivity for years. We have had to leave church and other places because someone near us had on too much perfume. This year I’ve also had both my kids get into the car after a day at middle school sick because their classmates couldn’t lay off the Axe body spray.

Watches: yes, I wear them when I’m not in the gym. I wear (and love) a Rolex Submariner. I also have a Cartier Tank Francaise and a very tiny 26 mm Rolex Datejust that I don’t wear anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results