shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the "lavender" pink sapphires really lavender?

SparkleFest

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking of getting a sapphire for my Mom. She loves purple and lavender and on James Allen, I see these gorgeous lavender stones among the pink sapphires. Do they look lav all the time or do they change drastically in different lighting? I would not want a color change. Of course I know all stones look different in different lighting to a degree, but want to be sure they wouldn't go "pink".

Reactions: AV_

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
IMG_8392.JPG heart.png
Yes lavender sapphires can look truly like lavender in all lights, this is a 1 ct I sold in January in an engagement ring, I sold one very simulate to this " cut was not as good" just last week. One of my favorite colors of sapphire. I have a more pink lavender heart and it can tend to pick up a little more pink in some lights

SparkleFest

Shiny_Rock
IMG_8392.JPG heart.png
Yes lavender sapphires can look truly like lavender in all lights, this is a 1 ct I sold in January in an engagement ring, I sold one very simulate to this " cut was not as good" just last week. One of my favorite colors of sapphire. I have a more pink lavender heart and it can tend to pick up a little more pink in some lights
Thank you so much! Lovely stones!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you check the return policy? If you are asking 'will this specific gem I have seen on site X be pinker in some lighting?' then you need to see it in person.

Nothing we say can help you answer that quesiton to a satisfactory extent (as we just don't know enough about the vendor's photography style (white balance of the camera etc) to give you a definitive answer, and as Kevin pointed out some shift, some do not. However on that point you could ask some specific questions before ordering to minimize hassle for you and the vendor.).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavender can come in a pink purple to more of a light blue purple, sapphires can colour shift a lot or a little, the same with spinels, I find the term "Lavender" to encompass a range of colour tones so it really depends on the individual stone you are looking at.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
IMG_7267.jpg
Sapphires can show lovely lavender colors but they are not very common. All sapphires here look to much pink on the pic. IRL this one is a great lavender witch not changes to pink. But those who change to pink exist also.

SparkleFest

Shiny_Rock
This just popped up on LT -- perhaps it is meant to be?

lilac sapph.jpeg
Thanks for the heads up!
IMG_7267.jpg
Sapphires can show lovely lavender colors but they are not very common. All sapphires here look to much pink on the pic. IRL this one is a great lavender witch not changes to pink. But those who change to pink exist also.
Great info, it seems as though as long as I check with the Vendor, it will be possible!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Lavender can come in a pink purple to more of a light blue purple, sapphires can colour shift a lot or a little, the same with spinels, I find the term "Lavender" to encompass a range of colour tones so it really depends on the individual stone you are looking at.
Correct, as far as I understand it through the language barrier, 'lavender' is not a color but a 'add-on' term to describe a color. Like 'pastel' or such.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

violet - means almost the same as lavender to me, perhaps more precisely closer to blue than red... the usage seems quite imprecise and the botanical references sure do overlap allot

2p

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think violet is somewhat easier to define as it belongs to the EM spectrum. Lavender and magenta are more difficult to define as they are both more subjective, like the debate over whether pink exists:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmod...t-scientifically-exist-why-can-1464266788/amp
:read:Thanks for providing this article. It explains why the lavender sapphires in my eternity ring that I would call lavender, DF and FMIL insist on calling pink. There have also been stones that vendors describe as purple when I see pink. It makes sense if everyone has a different threshold for when their R, G, and B cones get triggered and so each of us perceives the same thing differently!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6F8B61FB-1419-4207-97AF-001406154D05.jpeg 223A7074-5711-472F-8D23-691C34F30CF8.jpeg

I know it can be subjective, but when I think lavender pink, this color comes to mind. This is a spinel, but sapphires also come in this color. I see some orange overtones in many of the above stones, or more purple. Ultimately, regardless of the color name, the owner has to like it. I posted actual lavender as a reference.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Problem, some Sapphires have a fine lavender color in incandescent light but are more blue in daylight and other are lavender in daylight but shift to a more pinkish color in incandescent light.

Easier to find a real lavender spinel but some shift too ( blue to lavender from Luc Yen)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are two on this page: www with the color variation @Nosean mentions - the same happens among the lavender inflorescence, now that I am looking at such details!; the point might be that the combination looks interesting - neither colour is muddled & they slip into each other to no end...

bootleg botanising

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
IMG_7314.jpg
left row is purple and right row is lavender range to me. One is blue here in daylight but changes to an amazing lavender in incandescent light. The lavender flower is much to purple as to call it lavender in my opinion.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_7314.jpg
left row is purple and right row is lavender range to me. One is blue here in daylight but changes to an amazing lavender in incandescent light. The lavender flower is much to purple as to call it lavender in my opinion.
Left side except for the cab, is what I would call pink instead of purple. A purplish pink. Right hand side are the true lavenders. You have so many of this pretty, pretty color!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Some of the nicest lavender gems are unheated lighter tourmalines from Mozambique - the untreated copper bearing ones.

Now difficult to find...unfortunately.

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
8CE52383-A86E-4488-A681-9C92AF7CA96E.jpeg 16C282C8-390F-474C-BD6A-6FF5E7EE7046.jpeg I know you stated wanting a lavender sapphire, not sure if sapphires in particularly hold sentimental meaning, but have you considered an amethyst? I love love love purple and amethyst is my birthstone but I’ve never been to fond of the dark ones. Here’s an example of mine to me their lavender.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the nicest lavender gems are unheated lighter tourmalines from Mozambique - the untreated copper bearing ones.

Now difficult to find...unfortunately.
I have one, they can actually be very grayish.

FBE56CFC-85D5-4CCB-BEBF-2DC832373DEB.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I love the color of your stone! Do you have any plans to set it?
Nope, it’s not vibrant enough for me. The other issue is that tourmaline has a lower RI, so a grayish stone really looks flat vs. a grayish spinel or other higher RI stone. Thanks for the compliment though. I enjoy this gem more as a rarity, and a cool specimen to have than its aesthetic quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, outside some very rare colored spinels and sapphires, some of the most beautiful lavender gems imo are some paler tanzanites. It’s just not an everyday wear stone, but they’re much more available than the former gems, and they are less expensive.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I love purple too, but unfortunately amethyst doesn't do it for me because of low RI. I find that not only does low RI make the stone sparkle less, but it really doesn't help with windows. I have two amethysts I no longer wear because the tilt windows are huge, even if from the front view there is no window.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
90EFA604-53D4-4A49-A572-38EE53BDB707.jpeg

I love purple too, but unfortunately amethyst doesn't do it for me because of low RI. I find that not only does low RI make the stone sparkle less, but it really doesn't help with windows. I have two amethysts I no longer wear because the tilt windows are huge, even if from the front view there is no window.
Like this amethyst ring? I actually bought it to chuck out the center stone and put something else in there. Look at those windows!! However, I think the side stones will compliment a minty green gem.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@ TL

Yes! Tanzanite is a good choice and not overpriced..

Reactions: T L

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results