shape
carat
color
clarity

are some ''conflict'' diamonds ok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minicat

Rough_Rock
Hello PS,

i was looking at another thread and came across some comments that got me thinking.....(btw in no means is this an attack on the comments made)

i posted this on the thread, not thinking it was more than a bit off topic. so i left it. but after a discussionat dinner last night, it got me thinking again, so im going to cut and paste my original post. and see what you all have to say. if anything!!!

ORIGINAL POST:

Date: 10/15/2007 6:30:10 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 10/15/2007 6:24:40 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
The third Spencer Tiara formerly belonged to Marie Antoinette. It is pictured here with the Sutherland necklace. (The Sutherlands are a branch of the Spencer family who are also associated with the Churchill''s and the Dukes of Marlborough. Thery''re all the same family.) The Sutherland necklace is comprised of 17 of the largest diamonds from a necklace that was owned by Marie Antoinette AND is the necklace that helped spark the French Revolution. Oh yeah baby! That''s why I''m talking about, keep''em coming if you''ve got them LadyA, this is one fabulous thread! (The second Spencer tiara is really ugly... it definitely looked better before it''s present incarnation ). Any other pics of the Sutherland necklace? That necklace looks amazing. Ironic that it helped start a war in which the most famous cause of death, including the Queen''s, was decapitation.
Hi PS,
i was just looking a bit at ramdom and found this thread and love it. i love the history behind famous jewllery, often more than the jewles themselves.

well, while i have been looking for diamonds there has been LOTS of assurances here and there about conflict stones. which obviously is a good thing. nobody wants people to suffer human rights violations for ANY reason, least of all diamonds.

but i wonder why we all think differently of famous gems that we know for sure that full blown wars have been fought over in some way or another?

however, to play the devils advocate, i wonder how different banning ''conflict'' (i have used '''' because i am ignorant as to how we decide if they are conflict or not...ie precisely how its done) stones from the open market, therefore cutting off much needed funds to extremely poor people (yes, most goes on weapons or whatever, but it does bring SOME funds to the area (and at the risk of sounding even more non-PC) which is atleast more peaceful when a power structure is in place). how different is this from globally banning child labour...a very good idea, i agree...but these children have to eat too! and most of the time nobody there can afford to feed them, so they HAVE to work.

i know its a bit of a weird, politically incorrect post. but i think it is worth asking what people think about the difference between historic jeweles that people have died because of, and modern everyday jewles that peole have died because of. i assume its because we have the power to change what is happening now (though, i think its probably better to talk with the ''bad guys''...i always do...like in war...you can either talk first and not have a war, or have a war and talk after...but you gotta talk!!!) and this is our support for the programes that are in place to make that change.

but maybe because its because the historic wars happened long ago and no one is around to remember them....because at the end of the day, these wars etc are not just historical facts to most of us...they are interesting. which when you really think about it, is repugnant.

i hope i havent offended anyone...but it is a topic that id really like to know what others opinions are.

minicat

END OF ORIGINAL POST

minicat

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Clearly not a PC viewpoint but I don''t frankly care where my diamonds come from as long as they aren''t stolen from some little old lady crossing the street at midnight.
2.gif

If I knew my diamond came from a mine that was specifically abusing miners, I would chose a different mine. But the whole "conflict free" thing is not something I worry about in any major way.

I recently purchased an antique cushion which is probably 80 or more years old. I imagine some poor miners did sweat blood back in the day.

Currently I worry more about equal pay for equal work in this country. I worry more about the homeless I see on the streets of my city. I worry about children going to bed hungry in Appalachia. In short, there is plenty to worry about here in the US.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you take away all the "conflict diamonds" on earth. my guess is 85% of the diamond jewlery in this world will be eliminated. i don''t understand why people worry about conflict this,conflict that.
33.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
A conflict diamond is when I have a conflict of whether I can eat top ramen for a month to afford it.
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 9:44:20 PM
Author: purrfectpear
A conflict diamond is when I have a conflict of whether I can eat top ramen for a month to afford it.
9.gif

Oh snap!
9.gif

I was actually asked by a girl at a deli counter if my diamond was a conflict diamond...I started a thread about it here and canuk-gal said I should have told the girl "Yep-I fought my fiance tooth and nail for it!"
3.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif

This is a just a question, but would you rather be rest assured that someone didn''t die over it or does it not matter?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 11:40:30 PM
Author: pennquaker09
9.gif
This is a just a question, but would you rather be rest assured that someone didn''t die over it or does it not matter?
That''s what I was wondering Penn...

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Have you guys seen the movie "Blood Diamond?" It was quite interesting and informative (albeit fiction based upon facts).

Although one conflict-free diamond will not end the conflict diamond trade, I believe it is everyone''s responsibility to make conscious choices to do whatever little good we can in this world. If I can avoid funding rebel faction groups from perpetuating wars that devastate and end innocent lives everyday I will take the extra time to do so. Even though there is no fool-proof way to tell if the diamonds are truly "conflict-free," I would at least try. Just because there are problems in the U.S. does not mean that we should be like ostriches with our heads in the sand to problems overseas and just because it might be difficult to find a conflict-free diamond doesn''t mean it shouldn''t be done. I have always believed and history has proven many times over that the world''s problems ARE our problems, in one way or another.

To answer the OP, I admit I don''t know much about "historic" diamonds, but it seems like the diamonds mentioned in the thread were royal jewels. I think the big difference between those historic jewels vs. the ones mentioned in the conflict diamond debate is that we would never be in the market to buy a royal tiara but our 1 ct. RB could very possibly have come at the price of blood. Also, with the widespread reporting of the conflicts in diamond mines and the funding of wars by the sale of these diamonds, we can no longer claim ignorance.

Just my .02 and everyone has their own opinions and must make their own choices in life.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 11:55:07 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
Have you guys seen the movie ''Blood Diamond?'' It was quite interesting and informative (albeit fiction based upon facts).

Although one conflict-free diamond will not end the conflict diamond trade, I believe it is everyone''s responsibility to make conscious choices to do whatever little good we can in this world. If I can avoid funding rebel faction groups from perpetuating wars that devastate and end innocent lives everyday I will take the extra time to do so. Even though there is no fool-proof way to tell if the diamonds are truly ''conflict-free,'' I would at least try. Just because there are problems in the U.S. does not mean that we should be like ostriches with our heads in the sand to problems overseas and just because it might be difficult to find a conflict-free diamond doesn''t mean it shouldn''t be done. I have always believed and history has proven many times over that the world''s problems ARE our problems, in one way or another.

To answer the OP, I admit I don''t know much about ''historic'' diamonds, but it seems like the diamonds mentioned in the thread were royal jewels. I think the big difference between those historic jewels vs. the ones mentioned in the conflict diamond debate is that we would never be in the market to buy a royal tiara but our 1 ct. RB could very possibly have come at the price of blood. Also, with the widespread reporting of the conflicts in diamond mines and the funding of wars by the sale of these diamonds, we can no longer claim ignorance.

Just my .02 and everyone has their own opinions and must make their own choices in life.
I LOVE that movie.
The truth of what has happened in the diamond trade is very sad.
I went into Debeers (who that movie is supposed to be about) and I felt kinda weird.
Like I was witnessing something so much bigger than anything any of us can even start to know.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 11:54:42 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 7/14/2008 11:40:30 PM

Author: pennquaker09

9.gif

That''s what I was wondering Penn...

Thanks because I didn''t know if I was the only person reading into it that way.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
I love my diamonds, but I also want to enjoy them guilt free. so although I dont know all that much about the real facts about conflict diamonds, I wll try to support conflict free diamonds and signal to the retailer that that is what I am looking for. Is my beautiful sparkle worth the price of the death/exploitation of a person, or child - no, I cant change the world, but where I can I will support those companies that are ethical or trying to be as ethical as possible.

it doesnt just extend to diamonds i prefer buying free range eggs, fair trade foods (we have this in the UK, not sure if you have this in US or what you call it) etc. I cant change everything, nor am I obsessive about it, but where I can and where practical I try to signal to the retailer by my purchasing decision my support of these things.

d2b

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve actually been thinking about this lately as I''ve fallen in love with antique cuts...my view with historic pieces is that we should appreciate them for what they are, but also understand and not undermine their historical significance. So, I do not feel at all guilty if I''m at a museum, gaping breathlessly at the beautiful gems that have indeed started wars. Those pieces not only have an asthetic beauty but a place in history which makes them meaningful.

Frankly though, I''m a little apalled by the flippant comments that have been posted in response to this question. While it''s my understanding from reading threads here that very few diamonds in the US are conflict diamonds, I think it''s an issue that anyone who loves diamonds should be aware of and consider before making a purchase. The little bauble on my finger is in no way worth the life of another human being.

Oooh, ditto D2B. :)

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

I respect your view on the degradedition of the native Africans for some diamonds, or of other native people for diamonds. However why do people only wonder about this thing after movies that use these topics as the next “big” thing?

Civil war In Sri Lanka
Not many people realize that Sri Lanka is in turmoil where the group "Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam" are fighting the Sinhalese majority. Sri Lanka also known as "Ceylon” has an abundance of corundum gems, chrysoberyl and alexandrite, garnet, moonstone, peridot, spinel, topaz, tourmaline, and zircon. The sell of some of these gems are helping both sides of this war. However this point is debatable by some, depending on what side you agree with (that’s a different topic though).

I have a few diamonds and yes I do worry about if they are conflict diamonds, but not to the point I will not wear them. Even if every diamond was conflict free people would find some thing else to exploit to fund there small minded hate filled evil ways!

In South Africa, Haiti, South Asia, Cote d'Ivoire there is child slavery! These children are being used as an item of trade just as diamonds are!

Slavery hidden in sweetness!

While most of us worry about where our diamonds come from and what the money might be used for, none of us wonder about the history of chocolate. In 2001 the BBC did a wonderful documentary on the truth about some chocolates. Kids ages 12 to 14 are sold into slavery by there parents hoping for a better life, and that their kids will be able to earn a fare wage on the Coco plantations of the Ivory Coast. However they end up working 80-100 hour a week, and for there work they are beaten go unfed and are not paid. In fact these children are seen as cheap and disposable. I do not see people worry about items such as this, yet the crime against humanity is just as great.

Gems, sure have been used to pay for war or helped with the downfall of nations. However they are not innately evil, it is the doing of man. I believe that lootable commodities i.e. gems are not the start or the reason of civil disruptions they simply lengthen them.

Wars are a sure thing as long as man is on this earth; if something can be exploited to pay for the mass destruction of others, or to make a point, it will be used. No matter it is diamonds, gems, oil, or other items of trade value.

Ok sorry I will get of my Soap box now. I am currently a hormonally raging woman that has “views” on topics like this. I hope I have not offended anyone.

preaching.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Elmorton You not the only one who found some of these comments flippant.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I really hate the idea of people dying over diamonds, and when I purchased, I made sure that I worked with a store that sells only conflict-free diamonds.

However, as cynical as this may sound, the political climate in Africa is currently so corrupt that if people are not dying mining diamonds, then they''re getting their arms hacked off with machetes for being born in the wrong tribal region, or getting raped because they''re part of the "wrong" religiion or ethnic group. The politicians in most African countries don''t care about the people there at all, only making themselves rich and having power, so whether we''re buying diamonds or shea butter from Africa, the people are being exploited.

Also, the cultural views on slavery and child labor in many parts of Africa are very different from our own. Slavery is still an acceptable part of society in much of Africa, and because many cultures there encourange families to produce way more children than they could ever care for, children are frequently sold into slavery (they call it work, but 100 hours a week for a 6 year old is not normal work) and this is done to support the rest of the family. This may be considered appalling in our culture, but it''s been the norm in many parts of Africa for millenia, so child slavery is just accepted as a fact of life there, that existed way before western exploitation of the African continent.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper girl I don’t think you are being too cynical. The Hutus and the Tutsi have been in conflict for awhile now. They share the same language, and shared virtually all aspects of culture. However in 1993, 1994 in Rwanda, clashes between the two including a genocidal campaign by the Hutu militia killed more that a million Tutsi, and 1-2 million Hutu had to flee to refuge camps.
Right now there is a genocidal war going on in the Sudan that might jeopardize the relationship between the U.N and the Sudanese government.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 11:26:15 AM
Author: Macie

I respect your view on the degradedition of the native Africans for some diamonds, or of other native people for diamonds. However why do people only wonder about this thing after movies that use these topics as the next “big” thing?

Wars are a sure thing as long as man is on this earth; if something can be exploited to pay for the mass destruction of others, or to make a point, it will be used. No matter it is diamonds, gems, oil, or other items of trade value.

Ok sorry I will get of my Soap box now. I am currently a hormonally raging woman that has “views” on topics like this. I hope I have not offended anyone.
No offense taken...I think many Americans are misinformed or completely uninformed about what is going on in the world today. I agree with the points in your post, but I think the movies/film/documentaries/basically any press that can be based on these problems are positive and informative to people who would otherwise have no idea. I have travelled all over the world, much more than others my age (25), because of my ethnic background and family dispersed throughout SE Asia. I have witnessed child labor and prostitution (aka sex slaves) firsthand and was disgusted at how horrible human beings can treat one another and with the devaluation of human life in general. It would be great if everyone could research and pay attention to the atrocities occurring everyday, but the reality is that people think they are too busy to pay attention or simply don't care about anything that goes on outside of the U.S. I hoped the most recent events and attacks against the U.S. would open some people's eyes and show them that the U.S., as a global power (debatable), is necessarily intertwined with every major conflict happening in the world. "Their" problems are "our" problems and until we lose the "Not my problem" attitude and stop seeing our fellow human beings as "us" vs. "them," the world will be in turmoil.

Sorry for the preachiness of the post - this topic strikes a nerve with me as well.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
The flippant comments on this thread are really disheartening.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I was definitely being flippant, because I thought purrfectpear''s joke about Ramen was funny. This topic has been discussed repeatedly here on PS, and I can''t say that I have anything to add to what''s already been said.

In the thread I was referencing, some random scenester at a deli counter felt the need to ask me if my diamond was a conflict diamond, most likely because she heard about the movie and that was her issue of the week.

For the record, my diamond came from Whiteflash, and they also custom made my setting. They don''t deal in "conflict" diamonds.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I was a tree hugging, hippy dippy, recycling, earth momma before the majority of you were even born.
20.gif

I am well aware of far more serious international issues (such as those mentioned above - Darfar anyone?) than whether some jewelry store has brochures about their "conflict free" diamonds. This is topic de jour, but there are MANY larger issues that receive no press.

There is more to life than the latest Hollywood release. Do you all plan to call up your mommies and demand they turn their diamonds into charity? Those were conflict diamonds you know.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/14/2008 8:03:01 PM
Author:minicat

... i wonder why we all think differently of famous gems that we know for sure that full blown wars have been fought over in some way or another? ...
It’s a thoughtful question. At what point does an embattled diamond become a “part of history?” When a historic figure was involved? When the battle happened centuries ago? It’s kind of like the question “when is someone important enough that he was assassinated rather than murdered?”

Human rights violations are nothing new but I do think the globe is becoming smaller with the age of mass-media and the internet. We can see things happening around the world from us now - in real-time, not just magazine photos - which hopefully increases our awareness and sensitivity.

Date: 7/15/2008 8:12:40 AM
Author: D2B

I love my diamonds, but I also want to enjoy them guilt free. so although I dont know all that much about the real facts about conflict diamonds, I wll try to support conflict free diamonds and signal to the retailer that that is what I am looking for. Is my beautiful sparkle worth the price of the death/exploitation of a person, or child - no, I cant change the world, but where I can I will support those companies that are ethical or trying to be as ethical as possible.

it doesnt just extend to diamonds i prefer buying free range eggs, fair trade foods (we have this in the UK, not sure if you have this in US or what you call it) etc. I cant change everything, nor am I obsessive about it, but where I can and where practical I try to signal to the retailer by my purchasing decision my support of these things.
I’ve posted some of this information before, but it seems appropriate for this thread.

The status quo... In North America you can buy with high confidence.

The Kimberly Process has dramatically reduced the scope of the issue since the 1990s. Many estimates put rough touched by conflict at less than 1 percent today. But the global diamond industry is vast. Greed is not exclusive to Africa, and rogue elements trade rough of dubious origin where they can. Kimberly Process fraud was uncovered in Brazil and Guyana in 2006. Venezuela was sanctioned in 2007 and earlier this year was actually expelled from KPCS participation (story). Border controls are tighter in North America, especially post 9/11, but some possibility of corruption in the system exists, even in Canada where “conflict-free” is a national marketing slogan (CDCC). The good news is that Kimberley and Global Witness have estimated that 99.8% of the world’s diamonds are conflict free. Still, unless you walked the diamond yourself from mine to sorting to trading house to cutting factory to parcel buyer to retail outlet, nothing can be 100 percent certain.

Responsible manufacturers and retailers do their utmost to protect clients and themselves. We purchase our own rough at tender in accordance with strict regulations and select our partners with great care. We know the leaders of our primary trading houses and their commitment to the process of certification. Every diamond brought in is accompanied by written conflict-free guarantees and certification from people committed to the process. We have joined hands and do everything in our power to guarantee our diamonds’ conflict-free provenance, just as our downstream retailers and their conscientious peers do.

What can consumers do to avoid “conflict diamonds?” Neil Beaty penned a journal article with intelligent consumer options. I would add the suggestion to be proactive. As a shopper you can test a retailer’s awareness and commitment to the issue. These four questions are suggested by NGOs Amnesty International and Global Witness:

1. How can I be sure that none of your jewelry contains conflict diamonds?
2. Do you know where the diamonds you sell come from?
3. Can I see a copy of your company’s policy on conflict diamonds?
4. Can you show me a written guarantee from your diamond suppliers stating that your diamonds are conflict-free?

Remember that "conflict-free" just scratches the surface of the issue though. The industry works hard to ensure conflict-free provenance for the end-user and for many consumers that is enough. The only drawback is that it overlooks the real issue which is those who still suffer where resources are rich and people are poor - not only over diamonds but rubies, oil, gold, coltan and, historically, rubber, cocoa, even coffee.

As jewelry companies and consumers we can’t change governments or politics, but we can create commerce and benevolence to help those people. UNICEF is active in Africa. Development diamond initiatives are being developed over time. Closer to home on PS, Whiteflash launched an initiative some years ago with the WCCCI as their chosen charity partner to bring relief to chidren suffering in Africa. Our company is participating in the JVC’s Patriot Act Compliance program in concert with, and on-behalf-of, our authorized Infinity retailers.

Beyond the protectionist work Kimberly Process, the Patriot Act, NGOs and the CRJP are doing, we believe there must be people-centered answers to help actual humans without industry or red tape in the way. In all of this, consumer awareness is a key component to making a difference.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Perfectpear
That is one thing I was trying to convey; that there are even more atrocities going on in the world besides “blood diamonds”.
As I pointed out I have diamonds, and the fact is even if every diamond was conflict free some one would just find some thing else to exploit to fund their evil ways!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you John!!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 1:26:40 PM
FWIW, I was a tree hugging, hippy dippy, recycling, earth momma before the majority of you were even born.
20.gif

I am well aware of far more serious international issues (such as those mentioned above - Darfar anyone?) than whether some jewelry store has brochures about their 'conflict free' diamonds. This is topic de jour, but there are MANY larger issues that receive no press.

There is more to life than the latest Hollywood release. Do you all plan to call up your mommies and demand they turn their diamonds into charity? Those were conflict diamonds you know.
Actually, my mom never had diamonds until recently - she was more concerned about fleeing to the United States while her homeland and its people were being destroyed by the Vietnam War (but that's another story) - so no, I don't be calling her and telling her to do anything.

Also, I believe that with all the junk movies that get made these days we should encourage ANY attempt at informing otherwise clueless people as much as possible about what is going on "out there."

Thing2of2 - I wasn't directing my previous posts at anyone in particular so I hope you didn't think I meant you. Like I said before, I was just expressing my own personal take on the matter and people will decide for themselves what they find important in all of their purchases. Even though I am aware that the topic has been discussed before, PS would be very empty if topics that had been discussed were not brought up again.

ETA: Very informative, John! Thanks! I do agree that many more of us should be proactive in getting to the "root" of the problem if we truly care about a cause.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 1:26:40 PM
20.gif

I am well aware of far more serious international issues (such as those mentioned above - Darfar anyone?) than whether some jewelry store has brochures about their ''conflict free'' diamonds. This is topic de jour, but there are MANY larger issues that receive no press.

Yes, you were flippant in your previous post. I didn''t view it as affront to mankind. It was just a kind of ''Dilbertesque" snarkiness meant to produce a smile from the rest of us.

We all need to lighten up.

I''m not at all interested in the ''conflict de jour'' of the Hollywood set. We need to be concerned about the problems that exist in our own backyards; and figure out how to help where we can. That will go a long way toward improving life on this planet for many people.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/15/2008 1:31:06 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Thank you John!
Glad to provide the info. It's naturally of profound concern for many of us involved in the trade.

Macie, you may be interested to know that efforts to spread awareness on the diamond topic (by those in-and-out of this industry) have created swifter focus on the Burmese situation. Last November the house ok'd a bill to boycott Burmese rubies. The JA urged members not to trade in gems from Myanmar. Even the major labs have been pressed to offer country of origin opinions on colored gemstones. While these are not solutions they're indicators that the voices of concerned consumers are being heard.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
John,Thank you so much on posting info from the Kimberly Process...the last jewelry store i worked for tested its employees on the kimberly process so they could help people understand the facts vs the hype created by movies and the uninformed.As for the historic jewels...they are here and much about the stories we hear are fact but alot of those ''facts'' has been created to feed the fire and interest in the stones.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the very educational post, John.

I think we as consumers need to be informed and aware when we make our decisions about what to purchace, especially when it comes to big ticket items. Clearly we can''t go back in time and force previous generations to live by our standards, but I do think that minimizing harm to other human beings should be something we focus on now, and choosing to deal exclusively with retailers who use conflict-free diamonds can do that. It does not eliminate harm, but does the minimal amount of harm we can guarantee while using natural diamonds. Yes, people will try to sneak things through and cheat the system, but we need to be sure we do what we reasonably can.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks John for the educational post.

While I think the Kimberley Process is great in theory, in my research there seems to be a bit too many holes in it for my peace of mind.

I am well aware of far more serious international issues (such as those mentioned above - Darfar anyone?) than whether some jewelry store has brochures about their "conflict free" diamonds. This is topic de jour, but there are MANY larger issues that receive no press.

Purrfect-I believe you mean Darfur? Because to my knowledge, Darfar doesn't have a whole lot going on besides wildlife and some cannibalistic tribes that worship the demon god Yog.

There is more to life than the latest Hollywood release, but "Blood Diamond" was released in 2006, not exactly what I'd call "du jour". Besides, it's not just a topic you can throw away in a flippant style. While it may not be as important to you because it's been commercialized, it is still an international issue, and a significant one for this board. Perhaps start with a different blood diamond movie one that isn't as Hollywood-ized.

As for the one and only diamond my mother owns, it is conflict free, so she has nothing to worry about.

38.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2008 7:12:01 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Thanks John for the educational post.

While I think the Kimberley Process is great in theory, in my research there seems to be a bit too many holes in it for my peace of mind.

I am well aware of far more serious international issues (such as those mentioned above - Darfar anyone?) than whether some jewelry store has brochures about their ''conflict free'' diamonds. This is topic de jour, but there are MANY larger issues that receive no press.

Purrfect-I believe you mean Darfur? Because to my knowledge, Darfar doesn''t have a whole lot going on besides wildlife and some cannibalistic tribes that worship the demon god Yog.

There is more to life than the latest Hollywood release, but ''Blood Diamond'' was released in 2006, not exactly what I''d call ''du jour''. Besides, it''s not just a topic you can throw away in a flippant style. While it may not be as important to you because it''s been commercialized, it is still an international issue, and a significant one for this board. Perhaps start with a different blood diamond movie one that isn''t as Hollywood-ized.

As for the one and only diamond my mother owns, it is conflict free, so she has nothing to worry about.

38.gif
I agree with this...whether someone thinks it''s important or not really isn''t the issue...it''s too heavy a topic to make light of it. I know there are always things going on in our own backyards but that, again, doesn''t make the issue any less serious/important.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results