shape
carat
color
clarity

Are sapphires hard enough for engagement ring?

avpg

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at estate sapphire rings and notice chips and scratches on the sapphires. And yes, I am looking at high-quality rings. Can they be polished and are they hard enough to withstand every day wear? I am looking at a larger 3-5 ct and don't want it to get dinged up!

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
It's my understanding that sapphires can be polished, and that they do abrade a bit after years of wear. The estate sapphire I am looking at was re-polished before it was put on consignment with the store.

Any chips you would want looked at by a qualified appraiser or lapidary to make sure the chips do not compromise the integrity of the stone or that polishing them out would change the shape of the stone. Are you talking about minor dings on the edge of the stone?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those don't look like chips or scratches but rather like inclusions. Inclusions of one type or another will be found in most natural sapphires.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
avpg|1319129658|3044239 said:
I've been looking at estate sapphire rings and notice chips and scratches on the sapphires. And yes, I am looking at high-quality rings. Can they be polished and are they hard enough to withstand every day wear? I am looking at a larger 3-5 ct and don't want it to get dinged up!
Hi,
My wife wore a 1.99ct oval Sapphire for 25 years. At the 20 year mark we planned on having it reset. While it was out of the mounting I reconditioned the top (the table and crown facets) of the stone. Final weight was 1.94ct.

However, if there are 'chips' around the periphery of the stone (the girdle line), these may entail a little more work. But not usually so much that it will change the overall look of the stone.

As correctly mentioned by - blue-seeker - "make sure the chips do not compromise the integrity of the stone". There is always a possibility that what appears as a chip near the girdle may actually extend further into the stone. And, like stated earlier, this is where it is helpful to have a professional take a look with a microscope or other high magnification to determine its structural integrity.

And if they are inclusions, well good for you, these are welcome as they will offer clues as to treatment (if any when from Burma) and possibly assist with origin determination.

Hope you find this helpful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Europe, sapphires are often used as e-rings. Princess Diana wore one for fifteen years, and it went to her son's wife and still looks in impeccable condition from the recent super close up photos of the ring. The jeweler probably had some minor polishing to do and work on it, but it had no nicks or chips that I could see. As long as you're not rock climbing with it, or digging ditches, I think it should be durable enough.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When Sapphires are not tough enough for everyday wear we will know that the world has become a very tough place to be, indeed. Best regards, Lee

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
In Europe, sapphires are often used as e-rings. Princess Diana wore one for fifteen years, and it went to her son's wife and still looks in impeccable condition from the recent super close up photos of the ring. The jeweler probably had some minor polishing to do and work on it, but it had no nicks or chips that I could see. As long as you're not rock climbing with it, or digging ditches, I think it should be durable enough.
I see this is a really old post but I have a question regarding this point. I recently sent a sapphire ring in for sizing and repair. The jeweler said there was a minor abrasion and that it's so common with sapphires that get worn daily. She asked if I planned on wearing it everyday (I plan to.. I think life's too short to save things for special occasions. Just my opinion!)
So finally my question! How does Duchess Kate's sapphire stay in such impeccable condition? She appears to wear it daily just as Diana did.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps she only wears it out? Maybe she removes it when (and if) she does any housework?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably because she doesn’t cook, clean, go food shopping or do washing and ironing :D

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I was thinking the same thing. Is she going to hurt it while putting a teacup to her lips? My answer it depends on what you mean "every day wear" is. Do you mean to wear the ring while you do every single thing, including weight lifting, bowling, crazy housework are klutzy knocking your hand into things and never taking it off? Then I will say no. A diamond ring will also not be durable enough in those conditions as all settings and gemstones can be damaged. That said, sapphire is 2nd hardest gem to diamond. Harder than most natural things it would come across (corundum powder is used as a pretty universal grinding agent). To give you an example, I used to have an emerald ring as my engagement ring. I wore it every day. I even sonicated it! which I found out was a no no. But I didn't wear it at night or during sports, and it looked as when I got it. The only reason I am not wearing it is I lost it a few years later : (
Good luck finding a beautiful stone.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
lol I was thinking the same thing. Is she going to hurt it while putting a teacup to her lips? My answer it depends on what you mean "every day wear" is. Do you mean to wear the ring while you do every single thing, including weight lifting, bowling, crazy housework are klutzy knocking your hand into things and never taking it off? Then I will say no. A diamond ring will also not be durable enough in those conditions as all settings and gemstones can be damaged. That said, sapphire is 2nd hardest gem to diamond. Harder than most natural things it would come across (corundum powder is used as a pretty universal grinding agent). To give you an example, I used to have an emerald ring as my engagement ring. I wore it every day. I even sonicated it! which I found out was a no no. But I didn't wear it at night or during sports, and it looked as when I got it. The only reason I am not wearing it is I lost it a few years later : (
Good luck finding a beautiful stone.
@partgypsy excellent advice that I will use. Thank you!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I just can't help but wonder if hers has abrasions too. Look at the surface of this sapphire- do you think this is just a lighting thing, or are these abrasions??
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 8.56.28 AM.png

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Westjenn I am not an expert but I remember that Diana's sapphire was actually quite dark. I think that in that photo is saturated in light and instead of lighting up the inside of the stone is reflecting off the facet edges. That's what it looks like to me. I prefer a saturated but lighter in tone sapphire.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Westjenn I am not an expert but I remember that Diana's sapphire was actually quite dark. I think that in that photo is saturated in light and instead of lighting up the inside of the stone is reflecting off the facet edges. That's what it looks like to me. I prefer a saturated but lighter in tone sapphire.
@partgypsy yes, Diana's/Kate's was very dark. The pic above is someone I follow on instagram. I just noticed all of the markings on her stone and was so curious to know if these were abrasions? or just the way the light's reflecting on the facets? I love learning all I can about sapphires- my favorite stone by far :D

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can ding up any stone including a diamond. It all depends on the person. Some people can wear a soft stone for years with no problems, others can chip up a diamond on the way home from the jewelry store.
It’s much like phones. Some people have scratched up phones with cracked screens, others have a phone for years with out a mark on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results