shape
carat
color
clarity

Are jewelry cleaning solutions that much better than soap and water?

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello,

I recently proposed to my now fiance, thanks to the PS'ers in here. I purchased Platinum diamond ring. It's been over a month, and I figured its time to start cleaning this thing regularly.

We've been using warm water and light dish soap; however, I've been curious as to whether or not a jewelry cleaning solution would be much better. More in particular I am seeing a best seller on Amazon for $17. It is a clear / blue solution thatcomes with a small brush.

My question is, are cleaning solutions alot better than just regular dish soap and water? If not, it would save me that $18

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had jewelers recommend toothbrush and dish soap to me over anything else out there including ultrasonic. I'm sure others will weigh in.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing the specifics of the cleaning solution you’re talking about, I would say generally no. And actually there was a thread just recently with a lady who was horrified to discover that her cleaning solution actually made her diamond less sparkly because of the film it left on it. I think plain dish detergent, hot water and a toothbrush are really all you need.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been using one part Mr. Clean Citrus without ammonia to two parts warm water after seeing that a couple of appraisers on here use it. I soak for about 20-30 minutes. It makes everything sparkle like mad.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a magnasonic ultrasonic from Amazon. My appraiser used hot water in an ultrasonic with mr. clean citrus added.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I waffle over recommending warm or hot water. If you have hard water I'd say keep it cool/room temp. Better yet buy a gallon of distilled water and heat THAT up. Justify the stash as your "in case of emergency" drinking water in lieu of buying spring water.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:razz:Hmmmm that is very interesting PB. I have hard water and never thought that it might be bad for cleaning my jewelry! I guess it could leave that residue that I see on my faucets!!!! Learn something new everyday on PS!!! Thanks!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard water is probably not all that good for ultrasonic cleaners either, because of the residue it leaves.

I use this gel (Connoisseurs Quick Jewelry Cleansing Gel) to clean my gemstones. I've never seen them get so clean from using other cleaners, but I've never tried dish soap. (This brand also sells a jar of liquid cleaner, which never worked well for me.)

https://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs...ocphy=9003364&hvtargid=pla-315841404221&psc=1

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had the jewelery cleaners and it looked like windex to me so I started refilling the jar with windex and water. Now I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. I bought an ultrasonic from Amazon and cleaned every piece of jewelry I had. It made everything sparkle like crazy until I lost a pave diamond and had to pay $275 to have it replaced. Considering I have like forty of them in that band I stopped putting the pave bands in but will put my engagement ring in there and anything that doesn’t have teeny diamonds. When I cook I put my jewelry in the ultrasonic with it off and let it soak while I’m cooking. When I’m ready to put them back on I use a toothbrush lightly over it and put them back in for another couple of minutes. When I take it out and run the jewelry under hot water..they sparkle like mad. I just dry them off with a paper towel. I just had one of my rings appraised and the appraiser said I had the cleanest ring he ever saw that wasn’t professionally cleaned. He did say it would be good to soak it in peroxide occasionally to kill germs before cleaning it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use dish soap and warm water, scrub gently with old toothbrush.
Once in a while I do a warm soak in diluted white vinegar, and a little scrub with the toothbrush. This works great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results