shape
carat
color
clarity

Are diamonds cheaper in india?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

druggist

Rough_Rock
I''m on the market to purchase a diamond for my soon to be wife. I was born and raised in the US but my parents are from Surat, Gujarat, India. This December I will be traveling to Surat and one of my parents good friends who now resides in america (for 30+ years) who was a big diamond cutter/reseller in Surat, swears up and down that they are ''so much cheaper'' in India. Those of you who travel to India and get diamonds at wholesale (Garry H), are they that much more cheaper in India vs. the US? Would it be better for me to purchase a diamond there?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The closer to the cutter, the less they cost. BUT how does a consumer know what the right price is anyway? Do your shopping and learning first. Decide on what you want and what needs to be spent here. Then, when you visit Surat you will know how well or poorly you are going to be treated.

Diamonds at retail in India are not especially cheap, so it needs to be a dealer to consumer relationship. You must go well informed or you don''t have any chance of doing better there. Also, you may need to rely on an IGI India report. Be prepared for what that may mean when it comes to price and grading. There are very few GIA graded diamonds in Surat.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

No, you will not get a better deal in Surat although you will have no trouble finding less expensive stones. Saving the cutter the shipping required to send their product to market the US, Japan or Europe is negligible so the only real question is whether retailers in India will work for a lesser fee than retailers elsewhere. This includes retailers who call themselves cutters, wholesalers, etc. On expensive stones, competitive retailers like the big internet houses can get into the single digit margins and can offer you return privileges, trade up programs, credible grading reports, friendly payment procedures and transactions protected under US laws.

If you want a souvenir from the old country, by all means shop there, but don’t do it because you are expecting a better diamond for a better price. It’s not going to happen.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I visit both Surat (for work with diamond cutters) and mumbai to do buying.

If you have a $1M plus then India can be cheaper if you know what you are doing.

If you have a few K and little knowledge you are a lamb and there are people who eat lambs in India.

Buy where you have consumer protection laws on your side unless you want to do it for fun like buying touristy trinkets etc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results