shape
carat
color
clarity

are diamond prices negotiable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sammyjoey

Rough_Rock
i was looking at some diamonds the other day with a jeweler and he quoted a price on it, and when he showed me it in a certain setting it was almost as if he anticipated me bargaining the price. he even said "well ill check with the owner and see if i can get you a better price" and he knocked $200 off the price he quoted. in general, should you try to bargain/negotiate diamond prices with jewelers or are the prices they quote "set in stone" (sorry that pun was bad)? thanks for your help

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
YES!!!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Some places wont budge on prices because they are set at a fair price. If you check around and compair prices with apples to apples you will see this.

One place I walked into , they had never met me before and within a minute and not even asking a price on an item they shoved a calculator in my face and said "I will knock off $700 !

I told her "thats old school, we did that in the 70''s and it worked , now people have access to much more information and you look like a clown doing that, and insulting me". I left shanking my head.

All I can tell you is shop around. Avoid the carnival acts at the mall.

Best Regrads

sammyjoey

Rough_Rock
if i am comparing various jewelers and trying to find "the going rate" so that i can then try to bargain it down from there a little bit, is bluenile.com a decent measuring stick for diamond prices? or do they tend to fall on the high or low end of the spectrum (i.e. am i doing well just to beat bluenile.com or should i expect to find something significantly cheaper than them?)? thanks so much for your help

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. Wait, you have to compare apples to apples and so forth. A local B&M has higher overhead and expenses than bluenile does.. so thier prices are going to be higher... you can''t expect a B&M to match the exact price you get online. BUT you can use bluenile as a guide and adjust for the B&Ms expenses.

I always have a ballpark price in mind when I ask a jeweler for their best price. I know what I think something is worth, and what I''m willing to pay for it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everything is negotiable..., at least worth the try..., you have nothing to loose!!!
I imagine it depends on which place you try...

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds are like cars or big screen tvs. Generally negotiable altho certain stores/models may not allow negotiations. Rule of thumb is to attempt to negotiate tho.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sure. It never hurts to ask. No one will be offended if you try to negotiate, even if they aren''t interested in playing the game. Just don’t be offended yourself if they refuse.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
These days just about everything is negotiable. I mean, who pays the ticketed price on cars, clothing, most luxury items? Suggested retail is just that...suggested. If you happen to be in the mall and it''s the last day of the month AND the store is close to reaching their monthly goal; deals will fly with the managers blessings...sorta like auto dealerships.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 10:56:26 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
These days just about everything is negotiable. I mean, who pays the ticketed price on cars, clothing, most luxury items? Suggested retail is just that...suggested. If you happen to be in the mall and it''s the last day of the month AND the store is close to reaching their monthly goal; deals will fly with the managers blessings...sorta like auto dealerships.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
Yup, totally agree 100%, well said.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results