shape
carat
color
clarity

Are certified ruby jewelry pieces from Macy’s any good?

Gmx

Rough_Rock
:twirl:Hi,
I am new to price scope. I have limited knowledge of jewelry. I have a question about jewelry from Macy’s. I bought two pieces a long time ago from Macy’s when I had zero knowledge about jewelry. I wear them and enjoy them very much. After that I started reading and educating myself about jewelry, gems and diamonds. I learned about glass filled rubies and that mall jewelry is not the best quality or price. Didn’t buy anything from there since.

I am a frequent Macy’s shopper for clothes and shoes. When I pass by their jewelry section I drool over their pieces. My question is: is buying jewelry there that bad? I know they are not the best quality or price, but the designs are quite beautiful. I looked at some online vendors that have a better reputation. The quality of the stones may be better, but but the designs are not the same. So again, is it really a waste of money to buy from Macy’s? I’m not looking for the purest and best quality on earth, but I don’t want trash either. I want something to wear and enjoy with the potential of retaining some value in the future. They have beautiful ruby jewelry and the website says they are certified, and that we should assume they are glass filled unless they state they are certified. Any ideas?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is EFFY then I say no.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Question: what is wrong with EFFY? Not that I own any pieces by that brand but they do have a ring that is TDF

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EFFY is the one who had glass filled rubies... google it

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok thanks but what about their diamond jewelry?

Gmx

Rough_Rock
Not sure what the brand is, but on some of their pieces they say online”certified ruby”. They also mention somewhere that all rubies are lead glass filled except if it was “certified. Does that make them better quality? And just like BlingIndLova said, what about their diamond stuff?
EFFY is the one who had glass filled rubies... google it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, with ruby you can get natural, heated, heated with Beryllium, heated with flux (glass filled) and synthetic.
To the casual eye, they look very similiar but the price (due to rarity and quality) goes from more than $6,000 a carat right down to 6 cents a carat.
Likewise with diamonds, you get natural, lab grown, “clarity enhanced” or simultants ie Cubic Zirconia, Moissanite - look like diamonds but aren’t diamonds.
And it would be wonderful if they, the vendors, were totally upfront with treatments (and not on page 6 of the document in the smallest font available) so consumers could know and understand the difference.
Many, many people (chain jewellery stores, local jewellers, all over eBay etc) are selling glass filled or flux treated rubies for seemingly great prices compared to natural ones. But it is a false economy, they are selling for $300 or so a gem worth maybe $10 and a gem that will literally fall apart if exposed to any acid (lemon juice even) or if a jeweller resizes the ring. At least with a synthetic flame fusion ruby, worth 6 cents a carat, it won’t fall apart.
With diamonds it’s the words “clarity enhanced” “CE” or some other tricky way they have a describing a sub standard diamond you have to watch out for. These “clarity enhanced diamonds” are actually diamonds that were so poor quality and flawed inside that to make them saleable they got a laser and burned microscopic holes all through the diamond to zap and make the bad and ugly bits disappear. Then they might have put a glass filler in if necessary. These types of diamonds are structurally unstable, one bump and they might crack or chip.
That’s why we here at PS say go to reputable vendors. People who we trust because they tell you the full details of the gems they sell AND they don’t sell glass filled rubies or clarity enhanced diamonds.
And finally, those jewellery stores spend literally thousands and thousands of dollars on specialized lighting that make even the crappist gem look marvelous. Once you buy it, get it home and start wearing it under “normal lights” it’s a dull and flat as a pancake.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With diamonds it’s the words “clarity enhanced” “CE” or some other tricky way they have a describing a sub standard diamond you have to watch out for. These “clarity enhanced diamonds” are actually diamonds that were so poor quality and flawed inside that to make them saleable they got a laser and burned microscopic holes all through the diamond to zap and make the bad and ugly bits disappear. Then they might have put a glass filler in if necessary. These types of diamonds are structurally unstable, one bump and they might crack or chip.
Although quite understandable -- because both processes are used to enhance a diamond's appearance -- laser-drilling is what "zaps" dark inclusions. Don't think they generally are any more susceptible to damage than an all-natural diamond, although I imagine there have been some unscrupulous folks who have laser-drilled diamonds into virtual Swiss cheese. GIA will grade laser-drilled diamonds.

Fracture-filling (sometimes denominated as feather-filling) -- the more precise term for what's typically meant by "clarity-enhanced" -- does nothing for dark inclusions and doesn't involve a laser. Instead, the diamond and the glassy filler are heated in a vacuum and due to a combination of heat and high pressure, the filler is sucked into the fracture/feather. GIA will not issue a lab report for these.
https://www.goodoldgold.com/clarity-enhanced-diamonds
https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/diamond-treatment/

Not sure what the brand is, but on some of their pieces they say online”certified ruby”. They also mention somewhere that all rubies are lead glass filled except if it was “certified. Does that make them better quality? And just like BlingIndLova said, what about their diamond stuff?
Macy's "certified ruby" jewelry is also by EFFY. You'd want to ask to see the "certificate" since it may not be worth more than the paper it's written on. E.g.,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EFFY-Certi...-Yellow-Gold-w-Diamonds-NWT-SZ-7/263842875377
So far as I can tell, EFFY doesn't use clarity-enhanced diamonds, but having occasionally perused the merchandise in the "fine jewelry" showcases at Macy's flagship store in Manhattan, I'd say EFFY's diamonds are typical "mall" stones, nothing to get excited about.
* * * I am a frequent Macy’s shopper for clothes and shoes. When I pass by their jewelry section I drool over their pieces. My question is: is buying jewelry there that bad? I know they are not the best quality or price, but the designs are quite beautiful. I looked at some online vendors that have a better reputation. The quality of the stones may be better, but but the designs are not the same. * * *
How about if you post some pics of the designs you've seen at Macy's that you like so much, so that we can suggest alternative sources for such designs :))

Gmx

Rough_Rock
Hi, with ruby you can get natural, heated, heated with Beryllium, heated with flux (glass filled) and synthetic.
To the casual eye, they look very similiar but the price (due to rarity and quality) goes from more than $6,000 a carat right down to 6 cents a carat.
Likewise with diamonds, you get natural, lab grown, “clarity enhanced” or simultants ie Cubic Zirconia, Moissanite - look like diamonds but aren’t diamonds.
And it would be wonderful if they, the vendors, were totally upfront with treatments (and not on page 6 of the document in the smallest font available) so consumers could know and understand the difference.
Many, many people (chain jewellery stores, local jewellers, all over eBay etc) are selling glass filled or flux treated rubies for seemingly great prices compared to natural ones. But it is a false economy, they are selling for $300 or so a gem worth maybe $10 and a gem that will literally fall apart if exposed to any acid (lemon juice even) or if a jeweller resizes the ring. At least with a synthetic flame fusion ruby, worth 6 cents a carat, it won’t fall apart.
That’s why we here at PS say go to reputable vendors. People who we trust because they tell you the full details of the gems they sell AND they don’t sell glass filled rubies or clarity enhanced diamonds.
And finally, those jewellery stores spend literally thousands and thousands of dollars on specialized lighting that make even the crappist gem look marvelous. Once you buy it, get it home and start wearing it under “normal lights” it’s a dull and flat as a pancake.
WOW this is such great info! Now I get why it is better not to buy from Macy’s. I guess it is better to buy from reputable sources if you want good price and good quality. I can’t wait to get my two Macy’s pieces looked at.

Gmx

Rough_Rock
Although quite understandable -- because both processes are used to enhance a diamond's appearance -- laser-drilling is what "zaps" dark inclusions. Don't think they generally are any more susceptible to damage than an all-natural diamond, although I imagine there have been some unscrupulous folks who have laser-drilled diamonds into virtual Swiss cheese. GIA will grade laser-drilled diamonds.

Fracture-filling (sometimes denominated as feather-filling) -- the more precise term for what's typically meant by "clarity-enhanced" -- does nothing for dark inclusions and doesn't involve a laser. Instead, the diamond and the glassy filler are heated in a vacuum and due to a combination of heat and high pressure, the filler is sucked into the fracture/feather. GIA will not issue a lab report for these.
https://www.goodoldgold.com/clarity-enhanced-diamonds
https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/diamond-treatment/

Macy's "certified ruby" jewelry is also by EFFY. You'd want to ask to see the "certificate" since it may not be worth more than the paper it's written on. E.g.,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EFFY-Certi...-Yellow-Gold-w-Diamonds-NWT-SZ-7/263842875377
So far as I can tell, EFFY doesn't use clarity-enhanced diamonds, but having occasionally perused the merchandise in the "fine jewelry" showcases at Macy's flagship store in Manhattan, I'd say EFFY's diamonds are typical "mall" stones, nothing to get excited about.

How about if you post some pics of the designs you've seen at Macy's that you like so much, so that we can suggest alternative sources for such designs :))
02DC1D5D-9981-464E-B2B0-65F546B8E6C7.png four DAD884A5-D21D-44A3-9C6E-2CDC28953462.png F75732E3-B8EE-4AB0-8687-02BD3D3A6023.png 26B74041-0F46-42E1-A1F7-282A6624C391.png
These are four of the ones I’m considering. My current budget is not more than $1500.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you love your two ruby pieces, enjoy them and do not worry about enhancements. Unless you are returning or considering selling them, there isn't anything to be gained imo. And because you buy one ruby from Macy's (or any other store) that isn't glass filled - it doesn't mean that another isn't. While I loved everything PS taught me, it once tainted how I viewed some of my pre-PS pieces. It took awhile for me to realize that many are still beautiful pieces of jewelry and meant to be worn. I now buy/wear what I love - the big difference is that PS has made me a more knowledgeable so I can make informed decisions based on what is important to me.

No one wants to pay "real ruby" prices for something that is glass-filled or otherwise enhanced (other than low heat). That being said, I think that unless you find a preloved piece, you probably won't be able to recreate what you posted for the same prices. That's because department stores typically buy mass produced jewelry which lowers their cost (and quality).

PS is a diamond and gem forum, so the focus is going to be on the quality of the stone (which also includes cut, clarity, tone/saturation) so generally speaking, pieces from Macy's won't check our boxes. While, you've said that your priority isn't the quality of the stones but the jewelry design, I also assume you posted here because you want to make an informed purchase. So know that priorities on value can change as you learn/compare (for example, size for me has taken a backseat to other stone qualities). I know many who just look at jewelry as fashion items and feel like you do now. They will admire/ask questions about my pieces and sources, yet are still just as happy buying and wearing something on sale at a department store or even JTV...and while not my choice, that's okay because it gives them pleasure.

Lisalovesceasar

Rough_Rock
Macy's sells commercial quality jewelry,period. I would only buy jewelry that you like to look at, you will not get a return on your money. Macy's does not sell investment pieces. I'd stay away and look at a locally owned shop. Jmo.

Gmx

Rough_Rock
Since you love your two ruby pieces, enjoy them and do not worry about enhancements. Unless you are returning or considering selling them, there isn't anything to be gained imo. And because you buy one ruby from Macy's (or any other store) that isn't glass filled - it doesn't mean that another isn't. While I loved everything PS taught me, it once tainted how I viewed some of my pre-PS pieces. It took awhile for me to realize that many are still beautiful pieces of jewelry and meant to be worn. I now buy/wear what I love - the big difference is that PS has made me a more knowledgeable so I can make informed decisions based on what is important to me.

No one wants to pay "real ruby" prices for something that is glass-filled or otherwise enhanced (other than low heat). That being said, I think that unless you find a preloved piece, you probably won't be able to recreate what you posted for the same prices. That's because department stores typically buy mass produced jewelry which lowers their cost (and quality).

PS is a diamond and gem forum, so the focus is going to be on the quality of the stone (which also includes cut, clarity, tone/saturation) so generally speaking, pieces from Macy's won't check our boxes. While, you've said that your priority isn't the quality of the stones but the jewelry design, I also assume you posted here because you want to make an informed purchase. So know that priorities on value can change as you learn/compare (for example, size for me has taken a backseat to other stone qualities). I know many who just look at jewelry as fashion items and feel like you do now. They will admire/ask questions about my pieces and sources, yet are still just as happy buying and wearing something on sale at a department store or even JTV...and while not my choice, that's okay because it gives them pleasure.
What a wonderful post! You are right, I joined PS to learn as much as I can about quality jewelry. It is just that Macy’s jewelry is accessible, affordable and looks nice . I’m thinking of buying one of the pieces I posted. My main goal is to buy something that looks nice and is of “decent” quality. While not really a true investment, I’m hoping to get my money’s worth by wearing and enjoying it. Many years from now if it increases in the value of the materials...it would be nice too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results