shape
carat
color
clarity

Are all SI1s created the same?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mykejt

Rough_Rock
In addition to working with a couple of regional diamond stores, I am currently scouring the net for appropriate stones. However, I am a little weary of purchasing an SI1 without first seeing it. Of course, many online retailers have some sort of return policy, but I was wondering if there were any tricks/tips that I could use when looking at the certifications. I have seen many SI1s that are not "eye clean" and would like to minimize the risk that I have to send the stone back and fight to get my money returned.

I assume that one is to try to get one with inclusions on the pavillion or crown instead of right on the table, but maybe I''m wrong. I don''t know. Is there any reasoning to how dark the mark is on the certificate? Also, is it customary to email pictures of the diamond, and are these reliable to determine whether they are really "eye clean?" Again, I really appreciate the help you guys are providing, I wouldn''t be able to get married without y''all!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Si1's are certainly NOT all the same. They vary considerably. You also need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples, i.e., GIA Si1's to GIA Si1's etc.

And the plots aren't usually super useful for determining if you can see an inclusion with the eye or not...pictures or a vendor's eye are the best way.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two words: White. Flash.
9.gif

Check out their website: www.whiteflash.com

I''m currently working on a pair of princess-cut diamond studs with them, and mine are SI1s. I specified that they needed to be eye clean, and I''m very satisfied. WF just e-mailed me photos, 40x photos, IdealScope images, Sarin reports and ASET images on my stones today. I posted them in my post below entitled "Good News" if you''d like to see.
21.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to your vendors and be sure that they are speaking the same language that you are about eye clean.

Many clients expect eye clean to mean from all angles and the trade means them to be eye clean when viewed from the top.

Also, if you have eagle eyes you may see things that your vendor may not.

It is certainly to be expected that most SI goods are eye clean from the top, but even many VS goods are not eye clean from the bottom or side views.

Wink

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'd say MOST non-step-cut SI1s graded by GIA or AGS are eyeclean from the top from 8-10in away. That's how clarity is graded, from the top. So, some you will see the inclusions from the side, or bottom-up, if that matters to you. If you are going to be inspecting it from all angles, from 4 inches away from your eyes, in super bright lights, after pinpointing the inclusion's location with a loupe- well, that's a different definition of eyeclean than what a lot of people/vendors mean, and you need to talk with a vendor about exactly what you expect when you mean eyeclean.

That being said, some SI1s & SI2s are perfectly eyeclean from all angles- actually, my EGL-USA SI1 is eyeclean from any angle even inspecting it super close up.

A cert/inclusion plot isn't THAT useful for determining eye-cleanliness. Basically working with a vendor who actually has the stones you're interested in and will be your eyes is your best plan. Some inclusions are better than others for eyecleanliness. Twinning wisps are some folk's favorites to get an eyeclean SI2; they look horrific on an inclusion plot but are sometimes invisible to the eye in person. Also clear crystals & some feathers, which are clear inclusions, are harder to see. Black carbon inclusions are probably the ones that are most likely to be not eyeclean.

ETA: Wink's quicker & more succinct than I am!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 8:28:49 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Two words: White. Flash.
9.gif

Check out their website: www.whiteflash.com

I''m currently working on a pair of princess-cut diamond studs with them, and mine are SI1s. I specified that they needed to be eye clean, and I''m very satisfied. WF just e-mailed me photos, 40x photos, IdealScope images, Sarin reports and ASET images on my stones today. I posted them in my post below entitled ''Good News'' if you''d like to see.
21.gif
Yep, I ordered SIs from whiteflash and they are immaculate.

Work with a vendor who can send you lots of photos and who has the stone at their location so they can view it for themselves before sending it on to you.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Definately not! I would never try to determine the inclusions for any stone from the cert, let alone a SI1 clarity stone.

If you want to purchase sight unseen, you need to go with a trusted vendor. Try Whiteflash - they will give you a detailed, honest opinion of each stone''s eyecleanliness - ie. it is eyeclean from x inches, viewing from y angle/view. Everyone''s version of eyeclean is different, so you need someone you can trust to fully explain the inclusions of each stone. They obviously need to have the stone in their possession to do this, you won''t be able to get this kind of information from a vendor who drop-ships stones.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Whiteflash here (I purchased an SI2, eyeclean), however there are several Pricescope vendors who will also give you an experienced and honest opinion.

I differ on the "must have the stone in house". You will find many stones using the pricescope tool at the top of the page that the vendor may not have in house. I personally would not avoid those if I liked the specs. I would just ask them to bring the stone in for them to look at. The charge to do so is negligible, around $75 if I remember correctly. You may find a special stone at a bit less than their current in-house stock.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 8:20:44 PM
Author:mykejt
In addition to working with a couple of regional diamond stores, I am currently scouring the net for appropriate stones. However, I am a little weary of purchasing an SI1 without first seeing it. Of course, many online retailers have some sort of return policy, but I was wondering if there were any tricks/tips that I could use when looking at the certifications. I have seen many SI1s that are not ''eye clean'' and would like to minimize the risk that I have to send the stone back and fight to get my money returned.

I assume that one is to try to get one with inclusions on the pavillion or crown instead of right on the table, but maybe I''m wrong. I don''t know. Is there any reasoning to how dark the mark is on the certificate? Also, is it customary to email pictures of the diamond, and are these reliable to determine whether they are really ''eye clean?'' Again, I really appreciate the help you guys are providing, I wouldn''t be able to get married without y''all!
post a ideal scope pic that should help to determine if it is eye clean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results