shape
carat
color
clarity

Are “red” pearls dyed or naturally occurring?

Hi all, I saw a string of pearls a while ago and they were this beautiful red color - not a black Tahitian with red overtones, but like a lovely burgundy-red. I found a picture on google images which kind of explains the color I mean. But I’m not sure if they’re naturally occurring in that color or if they’re dyed/treated? And what kind of pearls would they be / how rare or expensive are they (roughly)? Thanks for any info! :D

524BD985-9A5E-4D28-85E9-39CD1D9CC574.jpeg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dyed. Very, very dyed. Dyed pearls are really out of fashion now, but the ones in your photo look as if they are decent quality under all the redness. At a guess, since it is hard to tell under all the red, they're freshwater.
(red pearls were a long running joke between long running members of that other pearl forum)

Dyed. Very, very dyed. Dyed pearls are really out of fashion now, but the ones in your photo look as if they are decent quality under all the redness. At a guess, since it is hard to tell under all the red, they're freshwater.
(red pearls were a long running joke between long running members of that other pearl forum)

Oh that makes me sad :cry: I thought it would be suuuuuper cool if they weren’t dyed! I have plans of collecting pearl strings in various colors (but maybe wait until I’m a little bit older because while I love pearls, I feel like I’m just a bit too young to wear them). These ones were just a random pic off google. Are there any pearls that naturally come in bright or dark colors? (Except Tahitians which I know are like a luminous black). Also, out of curiosity, which forum are you referring to? Thank you for the help though :D

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have observed recently that Edison pearls (Chinese bead nucleated freshwater pearls) have been getting darker and more colorful as well as all nacre FW lavender pearls.They are also very affordable. Here's a pic of a few Etsy strands I purchased this last year. The baroque pearls are bead nucleated and the smaller, more round strand is all nacre. None are dyed. Every year the Chinese get better at perfecting colorful FW pearls.

IMG_6497.jpg

I have observed recently that Edison pearls (Chinese bead nucleated freshwater pearls) have been getting darker and more colorful as well as all nacre FW lavender pearls.They are also very affordable. Here's a pic of a few Etsy strands I purchased this last year. The baroque pearls are bead nucleated and the smaller, more round strand is all nacre. None are dyed. Every year the Chinese get better at perfecting colorful FW pearls.

IMG_6497.jpg

I love those orangey pearls that you have in the strand on the top! These are really pretty!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love those orangey pearls that you have in the strand on the top! These are really pretty!

Thank you. Those were only $78 and there are no white spots or dull nacre. I thought it was a good buy. I should add I strung them myself which is economical and fun. Don't let your age stop you from wearing pearls. If you learn to string them you can make fun strands that will not look too formal. You can add gemstones, beads, metal- the sky's the limit. Here is an edgy strand I made that has the Haserot Angel picture in a pendant and skull beads. Not everyone's style but just something fun as an example.
IMG_3517.jpg

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock

IMG_6497.jpg

Please tell me the vendor

Thank you. Those were only $78 and there are no white spots or dull nacre. I thought it was a good buy. I should add I strung them myself which is economical and fun. Don't let your age stop you from wearing pearls. If you learn to string them you can make fun strands that will not look too formal. You can add gemstones, beads, metal- the sky's the limit. Here is an edgy strand I made that has the Haserot Angel picture in a pendant and skull beads. Not everyone's style but just something fun as an example.
IMG_3517.jpg

Ooh super cool! Unfortunately on me I only really like the typical “string of pearls” - and really big ones too, so they look even more formal - that older ladies wear, I actually borrow my mom’s pearls sometimes! I do have a string of baroque freshwater pearls (but they’re a much lighter white/pink color) that I got as a gift - I find that the baroque shape and the length helps them look less grown up almost. But I’m thinking in a few years when I feel less like I’m playing dress up in mom’s clothing I’ll take the plunge with a string of south sea (my favourites) in white and tahitians in black.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please tell me the vendor

It was QualityBeadmart on Etsy. He will send extra pictures if you request. I chose this strand from the ones he had available because it did not have many blemishes. I thought the other strands were more blemished. All in all he has some great strands if you choose carefully.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
It was QualityBeadmart on Etsy. He will send extra pictures if you request. I chose this strand from the ones he had available because it did not have many blemishes. I thought the other strands were more blemished. All in all he has some great strands if you choose carefully.

Thank you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: I must admit i thought those red pearls were very pretty

there have been pearls on the runways in recent years including early 2020 and ive noticed the mall jewlers here getting into more fun freahwater looks

Im not really into being trendy or wearing what's in fashion
Just buy what you like and make the look your own

If you have a friend tell you pearls are old fashoned she is talking out her um er you know what

They are timeless and classic and suit any age
If you like them wear them
life is too short to wait till your older

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I saw a string of pearls a while ago and they were this beautiful red color - not a black Tahitian with red overtones, but like a lovely burgundy-red. I found a picture on google images which kind of explains the color I mean. But I’m not sure if they’re naturally occurring in that color or if they’re dyed/treated? And what kind of pearls would they be / how rare or expensive are they (roughly)? Thanks for any info! :D

524BD985-9A5E-4D28-85E9-39CD1D9CC574.jpeg

You know have been googerling red pearls and i don't even like red ! But that colour is really lovelly

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is! I wish they were undyed :(

Ive been so inspired by the colour ive been looking at dyed pearls all afternoon
Some are so cheap, of course not great pearls but could be a lot of fun

im still lamenting the loss of a dyed blue baroque pearl and silver necklase i got at an outlet store for $30
I had so much wear out of it, why didn't i keep the bits when it broke ???
I could have restrung them myself

taste dedinatly changes over time

Ive been so inspired by the colour ive been looking at dyed pearls all afternoon
Some are so cheap, of course not great pearls but could be a lot of fun

im still lamenting the loss of a dyed blue baroque pearl and silver necklase i got at an outlet store for $30
I had so much wear out of it, why didn't i keep the bits when it broke ???
I could have restrung them myself

taste dedinatly changes over time

Blue and silver pearls sound super lovely! I hope you find a similar strand at a reasonable price!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue and silver pearls sound super lovely! I hope you find a similar strand at a reasonable price!

I still have the braclette that was super long and im sure i can find some of the bits from the necklase so im hopeful i can recreate it
It was just super fun and i didn't know how much i loved it till the last few pearl threads

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's quite hard to find bright coloured dyed pearls these days at wholesale.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There is no red mollusc, so no red pearls [I will not bet that this is an absolute rule - there are more pigments in molluscs than in their shells, & natural pearls happen as they happen; yet, so far, so good]... a few things get close: there are brick-red pearls (not nacre, a varied porcelain like texture, much like the bulk of the relevant shells - I know of Pecten www & Strombus www species) & deep gray-purple (Pteria sterna) a rarity among 'black' pearls with strong overtones, I doubt a full strand exists (Douglas McLauren was showing one larger pearl around & a few smalls & no more; he had a decade worth of harvests to pick through, but I do not know if he did!)

2p

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can find lots of Freshwater pearls at Wen or Kong on ETSY - all sorts. But all the Red, Bright Blue, Black, Yellow, Green ( like lime or grass ) are dyed. ( you can find Tahitians in Black but I'm talking about inexpensive pearls) They are fun and usually very inexpensive as they generally use a lower quality pearl and tart them up with colour.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can find lots of Freshwater pearls at Wen or Kong on ETSY - all sorts. But all the Red, Bright Blue, Black, Yellow, Green ( like lime or grass ) are dyed. ( you can find Tahitians in Black but I'm talking about inexpensive pearls) They are fun and usually very inexpensive as they generally use a lower quality pearl and tart them up with colour.

Sometimes colour is just about fun :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results