shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Opallover

Rough_Rock
I love this stone. My question is this.... I have seen ice blue aquas and somewhat of a seafoam greenish blue (which I like the most). What is the natural color of aquas, and are the bluer aquas heat treated? I think I heard that from somewhere.

Linda

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It''s safest to assume all aquas have been heated. There''s no reliable way to tell that I know of and heating doesn''t affect the price. The AGTA gem treatment chart says it''s "usually" heated and the color is permanent with no special care required. But aqua does come out of the ground in a range of natural colors, from seafoam green to ''extra'' blue.

The dictionary definition of aquamarine is ''greenish-blue.'' But the seafoam colors that pleased my grandparents were gradually eclipsed by a demand for bluer and bluer stones. That trend peaked in the late 1970s when irradiated/heated blue topaz entered the market. Since topaz in a range of vivid blue colors and large sizes was available at much lower prices, it quickly became the faceted blue gem of choice. Now, with the passage of time, sophisticated buyers are again beginning to appreciate the true beauty of traditional aqua color.

Richard M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results