shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine in Platinum Art Deco Halo

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved aquamarine’s and have been disappointed by having an opal as my birthstone since it is such a soft stone for a ring. I don’t really know too much about colored gemstones but I am loving that they are becoming more popular choices for e-rings. I like the idea that aquamarine’s remind me of water and the step cut has this pool effect when I move it around. I have either lived on or near water all my life and I just find that it has a calming effect for me and I was trying to capture that in a ring.

This is probably on the lower end of PS projects but I was trying to stay on budget as I have a few different ones in the works. The setting and small details are also very important to me so I wanted to pick an affordable gemstone that would still give me a decent amount of finger coverage. This was also a bit of a birthday gift for me knowing I would be recovering from a 2nd surgery this week after being hit head on by a 17 year old kid texting....a cautionary reminder to not text and drive! If I was going to be stuck binge watching Netflix for in bed for my birthday, I wanted something interesting to stare at and this came just in time!

I met at lapidary earlier this year that was starting to take his side business a bit more seriously and thought I would give him a try on a few colored stones (light blue aquamarine and a lemon yellow tourmaline). I really wanted to learn & enjoy each piece of the process so he was sending me pictures of rough until we finally settled on a piece that I believe was ordered through Kenya from someone he had used in the past. I paid him and he made payment via Western Union to someone he had used several times before with no problems. A few weeks went by and he came back and said he thought the person had run off with the money and immediately refunded my payment. This was a good sign to me regarding his business ethics but I didn’t want to put me or him in the same position again. I decided it was worth it to pay a bit more and I wanted to get the rough, have it cut and the ring all made in the US. I tried helping out but after a few weeks he said ‘swaye’ you are basically sending me colored rocks off of ebay that will not work...again, do not recommend! You do have to have a well trained eye for this stuff. We looked at a few different vendors and finally settled on a square piece of rough from TMS Gems in San Diego. The small parcel of rough that we had to choose from had small inclusions or feather’s in each piece. I guess aquamarine rough has decidedly gotten much more expensive recently for unknown reasons. We settled on a piece that had a small feather in the corner that wasn’t going to be very visible in the setting so I was ok with that. We were given an extra 10% off for the small feather and started the process. Total cost for the stone plus cutting/shipping was $288.
248DAA6E-EADD-46A2-A978-FA4D92AED2C4.jpeg
I decided to go for a 9 mm square precision step cut in an Art Deco platinum setting made by Debebians in LA. I wish Debebian’s had more love on these boards because Sam & Maggie are very talented jewelers & people. There are a few jewelers I work with but after a few bad experiences, I will never work with anyone on my projects again that don’t get ‘me’ or are not fun because I ‘do’ want a ring to bring me joy and not misery every time I look at it! I was hoping to do single cuts & baguettes but it was too pricey so I settled on a halo with 1.3 mm modern round diamond. This is a very heavy duty platinum setting weighing 11 grams and the tdw is .42. The bezel helped bring out the color a bit more and it shines with the most brilliant blue in outdoor light. Works well with either my pave or wheat engraved platinum bands too..

I love the pictures with the Fall leaves reflecting back on the mirror. It also has this way of changing color in different lighting situations and backgrounds.
B4E8E29A-8FFD-4714-8C33-E88D7E16BCAA.jpeg 1BEF0C4B-200A-4EF1-B5C7-7106367E5586.jpeg 054E6B58-EFAA-484D-B757-79D45CF6EBA3.jpeg F24AB9A5-17D6-4FA4-AF04-41E6289418EB.jpeg 5778B3C7-160A-4A15-8269-08B341FCDB75.jpeg 52924DB6-9DA4-4AA3-9615-5AE30A7F7B6C.jpeg
955BCB90-94B4-48F7-B285-9BDFD7D472BD.jpeg 5354AB49-3644-49C9-A5CD-78E787F65F2F.jpeg 23ADCB5A-2B79-49E0-8DE7-AC877534C155.jpeg

Couple videos:

https://imgur.com/a/VOvyDzO

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just a stunning ring, both the stone and the setting!!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Very lovely! Thanks for the story.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So icy! Beautiful!!! :))

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! What a dreamy aqua and a stunning timeless setting! 11g is very substantial I had not heard of Debenhams before I’m off to see if they have an insta account now!
I’m sure the aqua prices have gone up since Meghan wore Diana’s old aquamarine ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exquisite ring!!!!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! What a dreamy aqua and a stunning timeless setting! 11g is very substantial I had not heard of Debenhams before I’m off to see if they have an insta account now!
I’m sure the aqua prices have gone up since Meghan wore Diana’s old aquamarine ring.
They are about two blocks down from David Klass. Same work and pricing w/o the wait. I keep bugging them to add more of their custom projects to IG. They have done some beautiful engraving for me on many of my rings. It’s hard to find good jewelers that will also set outside stones and are still somewhat affordable these days.

AK29

Shiny_Rock
I have always loved aquamarine’s and have been disappointed by having an opal as my birthstone since it is such a soft stone for a ring. I don’t really know too much about colored gemstones but I am loving that they are becoming more popular choices for e-rings. I like the idea that aquamarine’s remind me of water and the step cut has this pool effect when I move it around. I have either lived on or near water all my life and I just find that it has a calming effect for me and I was trying to capture that in a ring.

This is probably on the lower end of PS projects but I was trying to stay on budget as I have a few different ones in the works. The setting and small details are also very important to me so I wanted to pick an affordable gemstone that would still give me a decent amount of finger coverage. This was also a bit of a birthday gift for me knowing I would be recovering from a 2nd surgery this week after being hit head on by a 17 year old kid texting....a cautionary reminder to not text and drive! If I was going to be stuck binge watching Netflix for in bed for my birthday, I wanted something interesting to stare at and this came just in time!

I met at lapidary earlier this year that was starting to take his side business a bit more seriously and thought I would give him a try on a few colored stones (light blue aquamarine and a lemon yellow tourmaline). I really wanted to learn & enjoy each piece of the process so he was sending me pictures of rough until we finally settled on a piece that I believe was ordered through Kenya from someone he had used in the past. I paid him and he made payment via Western Union to someone he had used several times before with no problems. A few weeks went by and he came back and said he thought the person had run off with the money and immediately refunded my payment. This was a good sign to me regarding his business ethics but I didn’t want to put me or him in the same position again. I decided it was worth it to pay a bit more and I wanted to get the rough, have it cut and the ring all made in the US. I tried helping out but after a few weeks he said ‘swaye’ you are basically sending me colored rocks off of ebay that will not work...again, do not recommend! You do have to have a well trained eye for this stuff. We looked at a few different vendors and finally settled on a square piece of rough from TMS Gems in San Diego. The small parcel of rough that we had to choose from had small inclusions or feather’s in each piece. I guess aquamarine rough has decidedly gotten much more expensive recently for unknown reasons. We settled on a piece that had a small feather in the corner that wasn’t going to be very visible in the setting so I was ok with that. We were given an extra 10% off for the small feather and started the process. Total cost for the stone plus cutting/shipping was $288.
248DAA6E-EADD-46A2-A978-FA4D92AED2C4.jpeg
I decided to go for a 9 mm square precision step cut in an Art Deco platinum setting made by Debebians in LA. I wish Debebian’s had more love on these boards because Sam & Maggie are very talented jewelers & people. There are a few jewelers I work with but after a few bad experiences, I will never work with anyone on my projects again that don’t get ‘me’ or are not fun because I ‘do’ want a ring to bring me joy and not misery every time I look at it! I was hoping to do single cuts & baguettes but it was too pricey so I settled on a halo with 1.3 mm modern round diamond. This is a very heavy duty platinum setting weighing 11 grams and the tdw is .42. The bezel helped bring out the color a bit more and it shines with the most brilliant blue in outdoor light. Works well with either my pave or wheat engraved platinum bands too..

I love the pictures with the Fall leaves reflecting back on the mirror. It also has this way of changing color in different lighting situations and backgrounds.
B4E8E29A-8FFD-4714-8C33-E88D7E16BCAA.jpeg 1BEF0C4B-200A-4EF1-B5C7-7106367E5586.jpeg 054E6B58-EFAA-484D-B757-79D45CF6EBA3.jpeg F24AB9A5-17D6-4FA4-AF04-41E6289418EB.jpeg 5778B3C7-160A-4A15-8269-08B341FCDB75.jpeg 52924DB6-9DA4-4AA3-9615-5AE30A7F7B6C.jpeg
955BCB90-94B4-48F7-B285-9BDFD7D472BD.jpeg 5354AB49-3644-49C9-A5CD-78E787F65F2F.jpeg 23ADCB5A-2B79-49E0-8DE7-AC877534C155.jpeg

Couple videos:

https://imgur.com/a/VOvyDzO

Gorgeous! Love the step cut and being able to see the original piece of rough it came from. So unique. Also wishing you a speedy recovery!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! :love::love::love:.
DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's a beautiful ring. LOVE.:kiss2: All around stunning. Congratulations! Enjoy and wear in good health and blingy happiness.:appl:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring to stare at during your recovery!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
408F74FA-37B2-4991-AD49-E9BCF07892EC.gif

Wowza. You’re new ring is stunning!!! :love:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful- talented jewelers indeed!!!!!!! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a ring! And what a story.
I love the colour and the setting. Very calming and sophisticated.

Hope your 2nd surgery went ok

Gummybear

Rough_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful ring!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous and classic!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring is gorgeous and I really enjoyed hearing the story behind it. Your pictures are excellent, too. Feel free to post more!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you started a thread on this beauty!! Love it so much.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg this is sooooo gorgeous :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I think I just found my primary inspiration for my yellow sapphire ring setting :love::love::love:

Reactions: prs

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Agree. I had never heard of them! Such a good result!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had never heard of your jeweler either.

Gorgeous ring! I love aquamarines when they have good cuts but so many don’t. Yours is wonderful. Beautiful color. The setting really suits the step-cut. I love when octagonal stones have octagonal settings.

Do you have any profile shots of the ring? I’m curious to see what the gallery looks like.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I had never heard of your jeweler either.

Gorgeous ring! I love aquamarines when they have good cuts but so many don’t. Yours is wonderful. Beautiful color. The setting really suits the step-cut. I love when octagonal stones have octagonal settings.

Do you have any profile shots of the ring? I’m curious to see what the gallery looks like.
I added a fleur-de-lis detail underneath from what I have seen on some modern and vintage settings. This is an elegant setting but I like that you can dress it up and wear it with blue jeans and a sweater.
08F09451-8496-4690-B9FB-EA07252A2D87.jpeg
I have done lot’s of Debebian’s projects. They have standard settings like Blue Nile or James Allen but they also do so much custom work that it not shown on their IG. Sam has an amazing in house hand engraver though. They are busy enough that they may not see what is going on on the boards but I feel like they reliably do such good work that they are worth mentioning.

I did a sapphire ring last year and a two toned ring with a moissanite center that I wasn’t allowed to post over here but just so you can see the work. I am kind of into black rhodium plating at the moment to change up some of my rings:
1E4A8E5B-67BF-4723-9BBA-3C23A1474712.jpeg 8F2A900D-BBE2-4E4D-85FC-F5B84B6B63B9.jpeg 8858A767-B18A-41E3-B936-35B2A85D458B.jpeg C23A58F0-F011-42E9-B3B4-EBF8F24ADE16.jpeg 0566A555-4B64-4247-B47B-1CACADF3D6E4.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I added a fleur-de-lis detail underneath from what I have seen on some modern and vintage settings. This is an elegant setting but I like that you can dress it up and wear it with blue jeans and a sweater.
08F09451-8496-4690-B9FB-EA07252A2D87.jpeg
I have done lot’s of Debebian’s projects. They have standard settings like Blue Nile or James Allen but they also do so much custom work that it not shown on their IG. Sam has an amazing in house hand engraver though. They are busy enough that they may not see what is going on on the boards but I feel like they reliably do such good work that they are worth mentioning.

I did a sapphire ring last year and a two toned ring with a moissanite center that I wasn’t allowed to post over here but just so you can see the work. I am kind of into black rhodium plating at the moment to change up some of my rings:
1E4A8E5B-67BF-4723-9BBA-3C23A1474712.jpeg 8F2A900D-BBE2-4E4D-85FC-F5B84B6B63B9.jpeg 8858A767-B18A-41E3-B936-35B2A85D458B.jpeg C23A58F0-F011-42E9-B3B4-EBF8F24ADE16.jpeg 0566A555-4B64-4247-B47B-1CACADF3D6E4.jpeg

All your rings are wonderful! I love the ruby collar on the last one.

Just so you know, there is a “fabulous fashion jewelry” area where you can post moissanite, CZ, etc.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
All your rings are wonderful! I love the ruby collar on the last one.

Just so you know, there is a “fabulous fashion jewelry” area where you can post moissanite, CZ, etc.
The moissanite ring is there but it is not an area that gets a lot of traffic if you want to show off a diamond setting. The sapphire is a no heat from my MIL’s engagement ring from the 1940’s so it is under the eye candy gem folder from earlier this year.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
your rings are gorgeous! wow!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning desiqn! Aqua-luscious!! :love:
Congrats! Wish you a speedy recovery:))

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
This ring is GORGEOUS, @swaye2010 ! I love the vintage and elegant design. :love: Enjoy it!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@swaye2010 oh my god! This turned out so stunning!!! What do you think of the bezel now that you have one?(you know I love them!) The gallery on the aqua is divine too. Love the whole thing!
The workmanship on the other 2 rings is also very impressive. The engraving on the sapphire, wow!
Is Debebians on Hill St? I'm going to the diamond district Friday, I want to go check them out! Thank you for introducing us to your jeweler!

I hope you are recovering well! Texting while driving is so dangerous. Seriously people, nothing is that important that you can't wait to text when it's safer. So sorry you got injured, Swaye!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results