shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine from Mogok/Myanmar?

ColoredGemConnie

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this forum and wanted to seek advice on how desirable untreated aqua from Myanmar are. There's an opportunity to buy a VERY large (91.3 ct) one, which feels like overkill, but I'm told it's a good quality one and a good "investment." Being new to buying aquas, are the specs of this stone good? I only have the cert and a video (couldn't attach the video, but it seems very pretty, though there might be a few inclusions in it since it is so big/maybe easier to see. Many thanks for any feedback!

IMG-20190226-WA0000.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First things, gemstones of any type should not be considered “investments”. Yes they are beautiful and if bought well can retain value even improve if quantity and quality dwindles but provide a reliable “investment return” - no.
They are not income producing (unless you set it and rent it out!) will require “safe keeping” and insurance and unlike say a work of Art can’t be easily and readily ”admired” by others unless set in jewellery.
To the aquamarine.
Firstly as a gemstone they are not considered “top tier” and at that size only really suitable as a pendant if to be in jewellery. And at that size it would be considered more a “formal wear” piece and to be honest, no one except maybe actresses or royalty are going to places where formal style jewellery is worn.
Aquamarine aren’t a particularly commercially “popular” gem unlike say diamonds, rubies and sapphires. They also aren’t “rare” in available quantity.
The origin of Burma is neither here nor there. While unheated rubies from Burma are highly valued and keenly sought, an aquamarine from Burma is not the same. And I’m not sure how reliable the attribution to a Burma origin is. It doesn’t seem to be an AGL or GIA report?
Colour with Aquamarine is the number 1 criteria and current trend is for the Brazilian Santa Maria Blue, which is much deeper blue.
Being large isn’t such an important attribute as aquamarine crystals are often found in mammoth sizes so huge aquamarines though impressive, aren’t particularly rare. Unheated aquamarine is rarer and important and adds value but as a successful investment vehicle ie sell at a profit you need a substantial pool of people desiring to acquire your large and unheated aquamarine. I don’t think such a “pool of people” exists.
And of course anyone “selling” a gemstones is going to say “it’s a great investment”. And it will be, for them, if they can persuade you to buy it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
804D38D2-4F8F-4BA5-8852-D72C08BDEBCC.jpeg So I did a bit more reading.
Aquamarines are routinely assumed to be heat treated, even done at the mine, because low heat at 400c to improve colour does not alter any microscopic inclusions. The GIA does not routinely undertake more advanced testing to determine heat treatment or lack thereof unless requested (cost / benefit). Both GIA and AGL are unlikely to be able to offer an origin opinion on aquamarines as aquamarines from one source to another do not normally show specific inclusions attributable to one source over another.
So, without more advanced testing by a reputable and equipped lab the claim of “unheated” may be spurious.
And the determination of a Burmese origin is also unlikely to be confirmable by any reputable lab.
Tone and saturation chart attached, the colour of the aquamarine you are considering is not in the “premium” colour category and the fact it has colour zoning (noted in report and visible to the eye in the photo) is another big negative in my opinion.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquas are often heat treated, and aren't generally considered super valuable. They are definitely pretty, but no gems are a good investment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarines are not investment gems. Buy it only for enjoyment.

That being said, while the cut is nice, the color is not exceptional for an aqua. It’s a pretty stone, but fine aquas are a much darker blue color, according to the trade ideal.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The tinny image attached looks very pretty. Although a biger image would be needed to say something more meaningfull. It is carrying a lot of weight in the bottom/pavilion, so a lot of that 91 cts is mostly contributing towards making it harder to set -- i.e. it wont be a practical ring stone for lots of different reasons. For a good price it might make an eye catching pendant. For an investment it is a bad buy for all the excellent reasons above. This is invariably the case with gems though -- as the person selling it to you tends to know more about pricing/market-resale-value than you do and thus the transaction is rarely ever in your favour (if evaluated purely on a resale value standpoint).

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to disagree with most folks here and say that gemstones can be investments. No investments, stocks and bonds included, have guaranteed returns. But you need to be mindful of your exit strategy. If a gemstone is in abundant supply relative to demand, as is the case with aquamarine, then that's similar to speculating in penny stocks. Gemstones, however, are not liquid assets, so investing in an aquamarine is worse than buying penny stocks.

I think of gemstone investments as similar to private equity: need a lot of capital to get in in the first place and need an exit strategy for it to work. The kinds of gems you need to be investing in are 3ct+ unheated rubies, and you need to have a plan as to how and when you'll sell them. Otherwise, don't even think about trying to make money by trading gemstones, because the return will not be good for the amount of time and effort you put in, even if it is positive.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm going to give another perspective. Myanmar locals will always pay a premium for their own stones as they think they are the best hence #buyMyanmar. This includes semi precious stones. Not forgetting the rich here are ultra rich.

However outside of the country I'm not sure how many would pay that sort of premium.

AGGL is also the top local lab and locals trust that over the rest and over government labs.

So from that pov they may consider it an investment in the local context. Especially since good blues aren't being mined here currently. I only see the colourless types.

Not in the PS context.

ColoredGemConnie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your feedback! It's so helpful to get the different perspectives! Given all the points made above, I'm leaning toward not getting it, even if it is a pretty stone. It doesn't seem to be an overwhelming "yes" in favor of the stone, and it sounds like it would be a good investment if I get in with the royal families or Hollywood :D I will pass on this one but will definitely come back if I stumble upon any others that seem good :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results