shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine Briolette?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I''m hoping you guys can help me out! I''m thinking of picking up an aquamarine briolette pendant and a local jeweler has aquired one for me to look at. It''s a 1.9 carat with a white gold setting and he''s asking $350. Do any of you know about pricing for something like this? I don''t really have much information on it so any questions you think I should ask him would be helpful also.
Thanks so much in advance!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It all depends on the depth of color and clarity of the aquamarine but I think that is alot for a basic pendent. Unless it has some intricate work with diamond settings.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to a bead store (or at least search online)... they should have aqua briolettes by the strand - if yours looks like that you know what you are getting.

Large clean aquamarine is common so two carats is very small for the material: fine cut and setting might make it more expensive than a couple od $ though. However, the total cost makes me thing the piece was presented to you as a bargain. And that may or may not be the case, as usual.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am not sure how helpful my post will be--but in Jan. I had some earrings custom made--garnet briolettes--close to two carats each set in 14k y/g. The earrings cost me $280 Can. For reference, you can see them in a post dated 2/18/05, initiated by JanuaryJem (about garnet rings).

cheers--Sharon

widget

Ideal_Rock
FYI: I found this pendant on the net: 23.16ct aqua. $810.00 Including the mounting, this works out to be $34.97 per carat.

The pendant you''re considering, including whatever mounting, chain, etc. (which must be considered) comes to $184.00 per carat...

widget

untitled5.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw... this is white gold, and the aqua there is a small component of the price.
It is clean and small and not too special although the setting makes great use of it.

2.jpg

Here's why I mentioned "bead shop".
2.gif

armmi_1836_99760138

For $300 you may get about 100cts of similar aqua briolettes HERE .

Whatever makes up the price, is not the aqua.

Assuming the setting is simple, how about a larger sapphire drop ? Like these ones:

m_sa4679g.jpg
(2.5cts blue, not top sapphire, but surely as blue as aqua ever gets)
and
m_sa4679n.jpg
(4 carat peach). The pictures are not to scale, the peach piece is larger, of course.

Just a thought...

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Paula,
One thing to remember on aquamarine is that color is everything when it comes to price. The paler aqua''s are very inexpensive per carat as widget has shown. The deeper colors of pure blue can be extremely expensive as they are very rare and hard to obtain. Most cutters won''t cut top quality stones for briolettes, so if the color of the stone that you are looking at is good, then you may be getting a bargain. It all depends on color. Here''s an E-bay link to what would be considered a deep colored aqua of top quality:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10200&item=4993789788&rd=1
I don''t have any knowledge of this seller, just thought the pictures were good.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Thank you all so much for all of the comments and advice. I really have no idea what to look for, I just wanted something different and love the ocean blues in aquamarines. I have a few topaz pieces and didn''t want to go that route.
I''ll find out more info and update you. Thanks again!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Aqua is blue beryl and emerald is green beryl but if you think fine emerald is rarer than fine aquamarine you would be wrong. Aqua can be a good deal bluer than the stones pictured. However, as it gets darker in tone it tends to develop a gray mask.

As to rarity I have spent weeks at a time buying in Brazil and been offered several fine emeralds and not been able to fine a single fine aquamarine.

I have one two carat cushion and if I ever get it photographed I will post it.

regards, and good luck!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok, here is the fine color in Aqua from Secrets Of The Gem Trade of course

AquaBook.jpg

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for posting that Richard, it is gorgeous! I have an appointment with them tomorrow, so I''ll keep you all updated!

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi all
A picture of 1 kg of very good Aquamarine we just purchased .
It is a collection of santa maria type that has been kept by the miner for a number of years, we just hope the colours are good when it arrives!

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

Aqua_SM1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
makes me want to dive right into that blue!

peace, movie zombie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my
3.gif
those santa maria aquamarines look absolutely delicious!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone get the newsletter of "toshelfminerals" ? Every now and then they come up with crazy stuf: this one just came into my mailbox. Very blue aquamarine... all 4 inches of it!

300_aqu10.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow! that is quite the specimen!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That picture of the Santa Maria stones is awesome!!!
30.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2005 3:41:34 AM
Author: lonewoodminer
Hi all
A picture of 1 kg of very good Aquamarine we just purchased .
It is a collection of santa maria type that has been kept by the miner for a number of years, we just hope the colours are good when it arrives!

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au
WOW>>> WOW >>>> WOW >>>> WOOOOOOOOWWWWW>>>>>
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results