shape
carat
color
clarity

Appropriate discount for Fluorescence in D color stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I think this subject is more appropriate for my question.

How much of a discount is typical for medium blue fluorescence in a D, VS1 stone (.23 ct.)?

I''m considering a GIA graded diamond with the following specs for a promise ring for my g/f of three years. I could really use some help determing what a stone with these characteristics would be worth.
.23 ct. Round Brilliant
Excellent Cut
D Color
VS1 Clarity
Very Good Polish
Very Good Symmetry
Medium to Slightly Thick Girdle, Faceted
No Cutlet
Medium Blue Fluorescence (Not Oily or Cloudy)
Table: 59% (slightly big but I was told this is less important than the Crown and Pavillion Angles and Depth)
Depth: 60.2%
Crown Angle: 34
Pavillion Angle: 40.8

I plugged these numbers into the HCA and received a 1.4 TIC with excellent for all scores except scintillation (very good). Also, the diamond fell within both the AGS and GIA ideal/excellent cut ranges.

I believe the link below will work.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD01174385&track=rvDia_1&elem=dia_view

I have the diamond on hold for $362. Is this a good deal? It seems to be significantly discounted for the Blue Fluorescence which I think she''d actually enjoy. I get the feeling that the diamond was also discounted because of the larger table than ideal (59% being above the 57% ideal cutoff). But when you consider the other dimensions like the Crown and Pavillion angles, it seems to be a better cut than one would expect from the table and depth numbers alone.

What would you expect this diamond to be worth? Am I getting a steal? Thank you so much in advance for any help you could provide.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC, I remember reading something like a 10% discount for D stones with strong fluorescence. It seems like a promising stone just by the HCA. I wish BN would do Idealscope pictures to back that up. I would not call the pricing a steal, but it is certainly in line with the other PS vendors' pricing.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Most other AGS Ideal, D, VS1, .23 ct. are going for around $440 though. So it seems like the stone is being discounted around 18%. Seems like a pretty good price, no?

Actually there are other diamonds in the price comparison that have good polish/symmetry instead of very good polish/symmetry with medium blue fl and they are selling around $450. So this one seems to be $90 cheaper AND has better polish and symmetry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results