shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraising a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

losi999

Rough_Rock
I will most likely be purchasing a 1.5ct Regent diamond from GOG within the next month and would like to get it appraised before purchase. Can anyone recommend a good appraiser. Is it standard for the vendor to ship to any appraiser that I request? Also, I''ve decided to get the diamond set in a Vatche X prong, but would entertain some other similar X prong designs if anybody has had good experiences. From the Vatche X prong style pics it seems as if the prongs cover the diamond a little more than expected. Has anyone seen an Vatche X prong in person that could comment on the prongs possibly being to large? Pics can sometimes be deceiving. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
I would venture to say that a vendor would only send a diamond to an independent appraiser that they're familiar with to some degree, or that they can somehow verify their credentials and reputation.

http://www.sarasotagemlab.com/ and http://www.gemappraisers.com/ are two good ones that most any vendor on PS would probably feel comfortable sending their stones to. There are a bunch of other appraisers though and it all comes down to which one you'd prefer. I really like the look of SGL's appraisels.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I can't help you on the x prong questions, but both of the appraisers above are very well respected, (I've used sarasota labs, and would use him again). I don't think an internet vendor would have a problem shipping to either of them. If you want to find someone local, check the list above, or ask the stone vendor if they know anyone near you. Most will ship to an independant if they are in good standing with the industry...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Similarly, I don't have anything meaningful to add about the x-prong, but I am also a very satisfied client of Rich (Sarasota Gem Labs). I went to him even though he works in FL and I reside in MA.....and I'd do it again in a minute. Thorough, professional, and great to work with.

I haven't worked with Dave (at AGA), but I hear wonderful things about him too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results