shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
Are there any certain questions I can ask to make sure an appraiser is experienced and is using the proper equipment? What kind-of equipment should they be using (i.e. type of scale, type of lighting, etc.)? Are there certain certifications or degrees to look for? I read the articles listed (thank you) on fluorescence and appraisers (none were in our area) but are there specific questions you can suggest I ask? I looked all over the Internet for advice on finding and choosing an appraiser and didn’t find too much. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

Thanks again,

-Diamondseeker -

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can help you some in this regard. When you locate an appraiser, ask them do they charge a flat fee, hourly rate or percentage? The first two are okay, the percentage is a no-no. Ask where their APPRASIAL training was obtained. ISA,ASA, NAJA, and AGS are the main sources of study. Ask if they are a member of one of these organizations at the present time, too. What is their title?

Are they a GG(GIA) or some other equivalent in gemology training? FGA is an excellent other title.

Are they "independent" or part of a retail store? Can you get honest work on a diamond from a retailer, YES. Can you be sure, NO. A lot of interviewing will be required and you will never be certain. The potential for a biased appraisal is very strong. Retailers are not crooks. It is just so very difficult to wear two hats and keep them totally separate.

I hope that helps you.

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I will begin calling soon to interview potential appraisers.

This site has just been a wealth of information. Thanks to everyone for all their posting and a special thanks to all the knowledgeable people who provided us with answers and guidance. Take care and I wish everyone happy and safe holidays.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
One way that might be helpful in locating a "good" appraiser versus a mediocre one is to call several jewelry stores and tell them you are looking for an experienced, non-biased local appraiser who is tops in his field.

After 3 or 4 stores recommend the same fellow, you'll know you've probably found your guy.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results