shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers - Australia...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate Any assistance or suggestions on this situation of mine..
I am just about to receive my new ering from GOG/WF, and would like an independent appraisal performed once its here.
However, I live in Australia (Perth, WA specifically), and the resources for this kind of thing are seemingly a bit harder to come across than in the US..

I have come across this http://www.gem.org.au/ The Gemmological Association of Australia, who seem to have some resources, but I have no idea how respectable they are.

I know its a long shot due to the geography, but does anybody have suggestions of independent appraisers with good reputations where I am? Or what are the professional bodies to seek out?
I'm hoping those in the trade in Oz could chime in..Garry..?
1.gif
Or PS'ers who are Oz customers.?

Many thanks in advance,
regards
AJ.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 8:41:03 AM
Author: JogiaDiamonds
http://www.ncjv.com.au/valuers.php?state=WA&statefull=Western%20Australia

Try Helen Haddy. She and Kaye are one of the only truly independent appraisers/valuers in Perth. The site says they''re in Perth, but they have recently closed their store and now I think they only do valuations in Booragoon/Applecross.
Oh wow, Mr Jogia thats just perfect - exactly the kind of resource and endorsement I was seeking.
Thankyou kindly for responding!
I will indeed contact one of those.
1.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Is it here yet?! Is it here yet?!?!

Today should be the day right?!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Sorry, got sidetracked, back to the point! While we are on that topic (well almost on it
40.gif
), can someone suggest an appraiser in Melbourne, just in case I should need an update for my insurance policy?

Thanks!

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
Actually, I am just looking for an appraiser as well!!

Is there a list of Australian appraisers??

I need someone just north of Sydney (Gosford/Newcastle kinda area)

If pushed I could also go to an appraiser in Sydney....

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Can we add QLD to that equation as well :)

Someone who knows coloured gems well as well as diamonds :)

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 1:25:48 PM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 7/7/2008 8:41:03 AM

Author: JogiaDiamonds

http://www.ncjv.com.au/valuers.php?state=WA&statefull=Western%20Australia

Try Helen Haddy. She and Kaye are one of the only truly independent appraisers/valuers in Perth. The site says they''re in Perth, but they have recently closed their store and now I think they only do valuations in Booragoon/Applecross.

Oh wow, Mr Jogia thats just perfect - exactly the kind of resource and endorsement I was seeking.

Thankyou kindly for responding!

I will indeed contact one of those.

1.gif

Hi AJ,

I had Kaye do the appraisal on the wedding set I got when they were based in town. The valuation seemed a little high but as she explained to me it is a bit unlikely that I will come in every year or so and pay for an up to date valuation so she built a little longevity into it for my insurance purposes. That is something I guess you will need to discuss with them to see what you are comfortable with.

I think it was pretty reasonably priced too. She appraised and valued three items for ~$150 IIRC.

Good luck
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Hi AJ,

I had Kaye do the appraisal on the wedding set I got when they were based in town. The valuation seemed a little high but as she explained to me it is a bit unlikely that I will come in every year or so and pay for an up to date valuation so she built a little longevity into it for my insurance purposes. That is something I guess you will need to discuss with them to see what you are comfortable with.

I think it was pretty reasonably priced too. She appraised and valued three items for ~$150 IIRC.

Good luck

Thankyou Pie for the info, I''m really glad someone here has used them, I will surely make a time to see her. Hopefully she hasn''t moved too far away!
Just a quick question, did you find she was "up to scratch" on the kind of things we are into on PS, such as H&A RB''s etc? I am just worried that appraisers here won''t understand the value inherent etc, as its not commonly sold here.
Also, did you sit with her while she did the appraisal, or leave it with them?
thanks in advance!
AJ

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Honey, DJQ and Dee,
I think this is important that we find some kind of resource or professional body for us aussies wanting appraisals - the demand is clearly there!
Perhaps someone can ask Garry to pop over and offer some advice?
It seems like we''re all in the same boat here..

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
AJ,

I just dropped the items and came back to collect a couple of hours later. We spoke about sitting in but it was really too cramped to try and squeeze an extra body into the workspace.
It may be different if they are at different premises, they didn''t seem offended or to think it was bizarre to ask.

I am sure that my stone has been noted as hearts and arrows on my valuation papers and I believe that Kaye said she had allowed for this in her assessment. My certificate had the H&A noted on it, I''m not sure what your certificate says or what that would mean to the appraiser. Your best bet is to make sure you take all your GoG paperwork with you and discuss what needs to be noted to ensure the stone is accurately represented.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:40:10 AM
Author: Pieface
AJ,

I just dropped the items and came back to collect a couple of hours later. We spoke about sitting in but it was really too cramped to try and squeeze an extra body into the workspace.
It may be different if they are at different premises, they didn''t seem offended or to think it was bizarre to ask.

I am sure that my stone has been noted as hearts and arrows on my valuation papers and I believe that Kaye said she had allowed for this in her assessment. My certificate had the H&A noted on it, I''m not sure what your certificate says or what that would mean to the appraiser. Your best bet is to make sure you take all your GoG paperwork with you and discuss what needs to be noted to ensure the stone is accurately represented.
Thankyou!
Sorry, just one more question - you mentioned the appraisal price was a lil inflated.
Did you insure for the appraisal price or the price you bought it for?
I kind of expect mine to be higher, as it would''ve cost me tons more to buy my ring here.
Please excuse all the questions, I really I appreciate your time in answering.
emthup.gif

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
No problem to reply. Much more fun than lurking
25.gif

I went with the appraisal value on the insurance. My stone etc was a lot smaller than yours though, so we aren''t talking about huge numbers that really impact what the insurance premium is. Plus I bought at a B&M store. If nothing happens to the ring I overpay a bit on my insurance. If something does happen I know I''m good for replacement. The difference in premium is something I''m happy to wear for the peace of mind.

Maybe see if you can strike a happy balance where the insurer won''t be able to replace your ring (at the necessary quality) locally for the insured value but you get a tasty internet upgrade if the worst happened
31.gif
22.gif
2.gif
We both know the extreme retail level pricing in Perth for good quality at +1ct. I know if anything happens to my wife''s ER I''ll be thrashing the insurance company as hard as possible on the detail, hopefully they''ll just pay out
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 4:16:29 AM
Author: Pieface
No problem to reply. Much more fun than lurking
25.gif

I went with the appraisal value on the insurance. My stone etc was a lot smaller than yours though, so we aren''t talking about huge numbers that really impact what the insurance premium is. Plus I bought at a B&M store. If nothing happens to the ring I overpay a bit on my insurance. If something does happen I know I''m good for replacement. The difference in premium is something I''m happy to wear for the peace of mind.

Maybe see if you can strike a happy balance where the insurer won''t be able to replace your ring (at the necessary quality) locally for the insured value but you get a tasty internet upgrade if the worst happened
31.gif
22.gif
2.gif
We both know the extreme retail level pricing in Perth for good quality at +1ct. I know if anything happens to my wife''s ER I''ll be thrashing the insurance company as hard as possible on the detail, hopefully they''ll just pay out
11.gif
Hey again Pie, I hear ya on the insurance, lol.
Don''t worry I''m way ahead of ya. I actually work for an ins. co., so when I got my quotes done I made 110% sure that if anything happens my replacement HAS TO BE from where I bought it (GOG/WF). They said that for unique circumstance like mine thats totally cool, and they will most likely offer a cash settlement. But you can bet your bottom I''m having that written on the policy, employee or no!
11.gif
9.gif

Thats why I''m thinking I''ll have insured value closer to what I paid, instead of spending the extra on premiums, but we will see.
I have contacted Kaye and Helen Haddy and am awaiting a response.

TY for all your advice....and btw, THE RING IS HERE!!!!
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results