shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alphagator

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I am wondering whether I should get my WF ring appraised by an independent appraiser? I read from other posts that appraisal will be quite different if the stone is loose compared a mounted stone. Just wondering if I should even bother with it or just trust WF. The ring is still with Fedex, and delayed in clearing custom.

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on you and your comfort level.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Like Lorelei said it depends on your comfort level.

I do have things pieces independtly appraised if they''re over a certain amount though.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are reasons to seek an independent opinion, but when dealing with a vendor which enjoys such a nice reputation, the reasons are definitely reduced. An appraiser can see if the diamond is properly and securely set, be sure the mounting is in good shape and no issues of durability or safety of the stone exist. Besides, on rare occasions a wrong diamond might be used which is not the one on the grading report. It would be an accident and hardly what we'd expect to find. Primarily the appraiser's role in these things is to just eliminate the gray areas of doubt which some consumers are truly bothered by until they have absolute confirmation that all is well.

Even after you master the task of selecting a great diamond, it is not the end of what could be learned about diamonds and their mountings. It is a life's work to figure it all out. I'm still working on it. An appraiser can help many people to do a better job of buying or give them the confidence that there is no problem at the time pf purchase. If anything is incorrect and discovered immediately, it is far easier to make an adjustment with the seller. If months or years go by before a problem is uncovered, it is your word against their's and no one comes out feeling good. I have seen such events several times and the only cure would have been in the very beginning of the deal, not months afterwards.

A good example was a recent purchase we made of a pear shaped diamond which was supposed to have weighed 4.25cts and we could only come to just under 4.00ct by formula. When it was removed to actually weigh it, it weighed 3.95ct. The consumer had the original invoice from the 1960's but of course, the store and its owner are long gone. Such misrepresentation is far less common today on weight, but there are many ways to trick consumers which still are common. Thankfully, Pricescope vendors are not the main offenders.

alphagator

Rough_Rock
Hello All and thank you for all your replies and opinion. I spoke to a local appraiser and she pretty much said the same thing.

Thank you all and have a safe and happy holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results