shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grjoe

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m in the market for a diamond engagement ring, and I have a couple questions about appraisals I was hoping you could help me with.

I live near Grand Rapids, MI. Looking at the Pricescope list, the closest independent appraiser is Jim Krol in Birmingham (a couple hours drive or so). Does anyone have a recommendation for an independent appraiser that is closer to where I live?

I''m planning to buy a diamond from Whiteflash (an ACA). I''m also planning on buying the setting from them. I will have the ring appraised after the work is completed. Should I also have the diamond appraised prior to setting it?

Thanks.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could just have WF send it to an independent appraiser of your choosing, some appraiser accept shipments direct from vendor. It is not necessary for you to be there at the time of appraisal, some appraisers do even work that way from what I understand.

With the stone and setting, loose stone appraisal is more accurate as once in a setting, the stone's dimensions and weight will be guessed rather than measured and the prongs may hid some inclusions and the pavilion of the diamond may be inaccessible. With setting, the appraisal can determine how well the setting is and how well the stone is set. To be safe, you can get it done both before and after for an additional fee, usually slight, dependent on the appraiser you use. So depends on your comfort level.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If you''re going to use an out of town appraiser, and you''re comfortable with the vendor and the diamond you selected, I would recommend having the diamond appraised after being set.

That way you avoid two additional shipping charges and one appraisal revision charge.

A good appraiser can usually work around a mounted stone, particularly if he has Diamcalc software, an ASET and/or Idealscope, and access to the Sarin report and major lab report performed on the diamond when loose.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2009 10:37:48 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
If you''re going to use an out of town appraiser, and you''re comfortable with the vendor and the diamond you selected, I would recommend having the diamond appraised after being set.

That way you avoid two additional shipping charges and one appraisal revision charge.

A good appraiser can usually work around a mounted stone, particularly if he has Diamcalc software, an ASET and/or Idealscope, and access to the Sarin report and major lab report performed on the diamond when loose.
Ditto Rich.

Have you tried Pearlmans Jewelers in Battle Creek, Michigan? Their e-mail is [email protected]

espressa

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure of a closer appraiser, but I wanted to mention that I went to Jim Krol for an appraisal of my diamond from Whiteflash and he was fantastic! Very knowledgable, took the time to explain a lot of things, etc. I would highly recommend him if you don''t mind the drive. Jim is in downtown Birmingham which is a nice area for walking around, shopping, dinner, and you''d also be a short drive away from Somerset Mall (Tiffany''s! and other nice stores) as well as downtown Royal Oak, which also has some great restaurants and shopping.

I''m not sure what your timetable was in regards to getting the ring, proposal and appraisal, but if you plan on proposing fairly soon after receiving it, you could always take your then-fiancee along for the appraisal, followed by a nice meal and some shopping or walking around town. Since you''re getting an ACA, I''m sure Jim will have lots of nice things to say about the stone and your FI may enjoy it!

Are you doing the appraisal for insurance purposes or just to check that you got what you paid for? If it''s primarily for insurance, you can insure the ring through Jeweler''s Mutual using the invoice and other documents from WF to get it covered right away, and I''d imagine you could modify the policy after the appraisal if necessary (call to make sure, though). I''m not sure how other insurance companies work (I have JM), but I spoke to someone there this week regarding this because I''m upgrading and decided to forgo the appraisal for now (already spent enough on the upgrade!).

If you need the appraisal done before you propose then all of this info is pretty useless to you, but I figured I''d mention this in case you can''t find a closer appraiser that you feel comfortable with.
1.gif

grjoe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input. I was able to find jewelry appraisers close to where I live, but they all seem to be affiliated with a jewelry store. The closest independent appraiser I''ve found is still Jim Krol. I''ll probably drive over to see him after I get the ring, as I would like to be present for the appraisal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results