shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal Question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

taghans

Rough_Rock

Ok, I found the stone etc everything that I think I want =)

Now, I want to get the stone(s) appraised before I buy and also make the finished ring purchase contingent upon a final inspection/appraisal. Now I found an appraiser which I may use but I have a question. The center stone has a GIA cert but is not laser inscribed. What do you suggest I do to make sure I get the same stone(s) I have appraised before the ring is created. Is there something the appraiser or seller can do to guarantee the stones are the same as what I initially had inspected? Is it feasible to have the stones sent for laser inscription w/ the GIA # on them or will that take months?

Thanks,
Tag
33.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know that I''ve read this sort of question here, but the procedural aspect is interesting, and I might hope could be easily configured for you, kind of like a library loan (unless I''ve become analogy challenged). Other places besides GIA do inscribing, including other appraisers and graders (PGS in Chicago, Dave Atlas in Chicago, an appraiser Denver Appraiser recently mentioned, I think in Colorado)...and I would hope your appraiser could, on your behalf, forward the diamond to one of these quick and cheap services, get it back, confirming for you before & after it was the same diamond received as sent, and continue on. Oddly, I think it''s standard for GIA to only provide routine inscribing for their smaller (under 1 carat) stones.

I hope you can make something like this work!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you learn how to ID your diamond you will not need to get it inscribed. Unless you have an FL or IF clarity, you need to learn how to find the inclusions in your diamond. Buy a loupe and learn right where they are. The appraiser can show you what to look for. Also, don''t be afraid to ask to use the jeweler''s microscope which is stronger and makes IDing easier.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2006 11:49:07 AM
Author: jazmine
Well, if you learn how to ID your diamond you will not need to get it inscribed. Unless you have an FL or IF clarity, you need to learn how to find the inclusions in your diamond. Buy a loupe and learn right where they are. The appraiser can show you what to look for. Also, don''t be afraid to ask to use the jeweler''s microscope which is stronger and makes IDing easier.

Good advice.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tag
what is the clarity grade on your stone?

taghans

Rough_Rock
DancingFire:
Here are the specs on the stone...what do you think?

Shape: Radiant
Carat weight: 1.98
Cut: Premium
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 64.9
Table: 62
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: M-STK
Culet: NONE
Fluorescence: NONE
Measurements: 8.25*6.72*4.36
Price (lowest so far is $14,600)
33.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you're doing a loose/pre-purchase appraisal AND a completed ring appraisal. Your appraiser will tell you if it's the same stone.

taghans

Rough_Rock
Yes all 3 stones center and 2 sides should be sent for inspection then when ring is complete it will be re-evaluuated for accuracy.
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results