shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
I've 3 diamonds that interests me E/F/G VVS1 approx 0.8ct from 3 separate vendors here.

If I like to have it appraised, preferably by an appraiser who is on this board AND one whom the vendors will send the diamond to without me putting all 3 on a credit card, how much will it cost me?

Will I be charge appraisal fee for all 3 diamonds? Searching the forum, I find the price to be approx $120. So, do I have to pay $360? Also, do I have to pay for the Fedex shipping from the vendor to the appraiser AND appraiser back to the vendor? I'm not sure how much Fedex cost but I figured maybe around $30 overnight w/ insurance? So, that's $180.

Will it cost me $540 for this exercise?

The 3 vendors are GOG, Superbcert and WhiteFlash.

Thank you.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Jlim~

I think you haven't gotten a response because most people only get one diamond independently evaluated. White Flash shipped 2 diamonds to me to compare and choose from. I had both independently verified locally. The appraiser charged one flat fee to confirm the diamonds matched the Certs. I wasn't getting Brilliance Scope, Sarin, the whole work up, just a verification. Also, I wasn't shipping them to and from and then on to me so I can't answer your question.

You should ask the vendors and/or appraiser this question.
1.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Just about to head home.

pq - short of me calling Fedex and asking them how much it cost, how much did it cost you to mail the other stone back to WhiteFlash with insurance and everything?

The reason I ask for shipping it to an appraiser here is because I've read some instances where a poster was undecided about 2 diamonds and he/she had the 2 sent to a appraiser active on this board that the vendors trust. That way he/she doesn't have to put the 2 stones, let alone 3 stones in my case, on a credit card.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I shipped both diamonds back and White Flash set the one I selected. White Flash, and I suppose other vendors as well, had me ship the diamonds back via Registered US Postal Service. Registered Mail travels in Armored trucks, so there is no question the package arrives with what you said was in it. With insurance it was less than $20 to ship both diamonds. $4 of that was for Priority charge. Something to do with the box I was using. Take out the $4 and it would have been closer to $15.
wacko.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi JLIM. I would suggest having the appraiser look at the three diamonds, and pick out the best stone. Send the other two back, and appraise the one. My charge to do something like that would be $125, plus return shipping costs to the vendors ($17 per box if sent back registered mail).

Usually vendors will pay for the shipping to an appraiser, leaving you with a total cost of $176.

There's also the possibility that one or more could be eliminated without even having to be sent. You could provide all the info on an advance email, and possibly some characteristics will knock a stone (or two) out of the running.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Richard - thanks for the info. I'll ask the vendors and see if they are agreeable to send the diamonds to you and what if any cost will it incur me.

I'll try to narrow down to 2 out of 3. Thanks.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Jlim ~

I know your looking at this from a consumers end.

But from a vendors end , save your self the money and trouble. The diamonds come with lab reports you dont need somebody telling you what the lab has told you and they are all three honest dealers .

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing? Why a VVS1 ???????

If your into something clean drop down to a VS1 or VS2 your still talking pinpoints? You know its the proportions that make the diamond sparkle not a clarity grade from flawless down to SI2. Just in case you thought different. Ive always thought of that grade as a big waist of money.

Im just saying this because I see you are questioning paying for extra things like $540.

None of my business , just an outside observation

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Appreciate your opinion iceman.

Looks like it is less than $540 as Sherwood pointed out.

The difference is one I'm paying for something tangible. The other, I'm paying for service.

I know gemologist and appraisers are professionals and they do need to make a living. I've no problem paying the $125 fee. I've a problem with paying $125x3 just to figure out which one to buy plus the shipping cost via USPS.

But I'll do what Sherwood suggests. I'll contact the vendors and see if they are willing to do this "exercise". It was suggested to me as an option to help me decide which of the 3 to buy.

Thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
But from a vendors end , save your self the money and trouble. The
diamonds come with lab reports you dont need somebody telling you what
the lab has told you and they are all three honest dealers.
-----------

Hi Ice. I find that consumers are often looking for peace of mind in their purchasing decisions. They want a professional to tell them whether they are making a smart purchase or not. In this case, JLIM is wondering which of the three is the best stone. As you know, this is not just a case of which one has the better color or clarity, but a whole blend of characteristics which come together to make one stone better than another.

An appraiser can also help with such things as whether or not the lab reports and grading is correct, or whether a stone is a "high" grade or a "borderline" grade.

Most consumers looking at three different lab reports are going to be lost as to what is what. And in the case of GIA, there is not enough information reported to make an intelligent decision (no crown/pavilion depth/angle info).

Then there's the question of price. The average consumer has no idea the difference in value that different combinations of color/clarity/cut produces.
They would have no way of knowing for example that a 1.00 ct. G/SI1 carries a 20% premium over a 1.00 ct. I/VS2.

A good appraiser doesn't cost the consumer money, he saves the consumer money.
Sometimes he saves the consumer from making mistakes worth thousands of dollars, for a fee usually averaging about a $100.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results