shape
carat
color
clarity

apple just announced a new frigging cat . . . HISSSS!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of calling it system 9 or 10, apple names it's operating systems after wild cats.
The problem is when I read about which system does what I can't remember if I have Leopard, Snow Mountain Lion, Bobcat, or Puddy-Tat!
I have 10.6.8 Dammit! :angryfire:

[RANT] I sure wish apple would drop this cat thing and call them 10.5, 10.6, 11.1, 11.2 etc so you can tell which is newer.

apple was supposed to be a brilliant response to DOS, and be about what's intuitive for stoopid people like me who are incapable of learning or memorizing anything.
It's pretty intuitive that 11.1 comes after 10.6.

How are we supposed to remember which cat comes before or after another cat? :angryfire:
I guess I could make a chart on a post-it note and stick it on my monitor. [/RANT]

BTW if I owned two cats I'd name them 10.5.2 and 10.6.4.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:lol:
I think I agree with you. My DH can keep them all straight but then, he's so MAC oriented its insane! I like the logical simplicity of the version dot numbering system.

Wont you eventually run out of cats??

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1343833725|3244285 said:
:lol:
I think I agree with you. My DH can keep them all straight but then, he's so MAC oriented its insane! I like the logical simplicity of the version dot numbering system.

Wont you eventually run out of cats??
os11 will likely have the new special name. Theyll do yknow a few more cats ;-)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I actually prefer non-numerical names. I'm much more likely to remember a word than a number.

Android names their operating systems after desserts and they're in alphabetical order. Seems to meet both our requirements.

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1343855265|3244488 said:
I actually prefer non-numerical names. I'm much more likely to remember a word than a number.

Android names their operating systems after desserts and they're in alphabetical order. Seems to meet both our requirements.

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

Yeah, Ice Cream Sandwich coming after honeycomb is so obvious, everyone will remember.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

I think this is really cute ::)

Eclipse (Java IDE) did sorta the same - they just came out with their latest Juno. Callisto, Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo, Juno, and Kepler will be next year.
I'm just annoyed they didn't fix the ONE thing I wanted :sick:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1343856283|3244500 said:

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

Yeah, Ice Cream Sandwich coming after honeycomb is so obvious, everyone will remember.
If they know enough to be familiar with operating systems, they probably know enough to be familiar with the alphabet, so, yes, it is obvious.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
kenny, I really need a new Mac, mine's running 10.4.11 and that's as far as it will go. Go out and get that mountain lion and tell us Apple folks how you like it, pretty please? :lol:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1343870329|3244622 said:

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

If they know enough to be familiar with operating systems, they probably know enough to be familiar with the alphabet, so, yes, it is obvious.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the cat names!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

OH!

Yes, now that you point out that they are in alphabetical order it IS obvious which came first.

But, perhaps I'm not the only one too stupid to notice that.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you on this 100% - give me something that has an OBVIOUS sequence.

The android names are OK once you stare at the list with the names all TOGETHER or someone tells you that's how they work...but if you're looking at any of these names isolated (ETA: and you don't know they're supposed to be in alphabetical order), you wouldn't know which one is newer than another.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1343923586|3244858 said:

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Bean

OH!

Yes, now that you point out that they are in alphabetical order it IS obvious which came first.

But, perhaps I'm not the only one too stupid to notice that.
I pointed out that they were in alphabetical order in my original post. Time for new reading glasses? ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I need to read more carefully, but still ... the public . . . oh never mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results