shape
carat
color
clarity

Apparently my watch isn't "good enough".

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just in a jewelry store, one of my chains needs a new clasp and while I'm there I'm looking around and I ask them to clean my jewelry. What I'm wearing today: Diamond earrings, Marguette pendant and Aurora Band and my watch. So the manager of the store is checking my pieces over to make sure nothing is lose before cleaning them and says... "You know... your watch, it doesn't match your other stuff. Not nice enough, gives wrong impressions and brings your look down. You should get a nicer watch."

And I am just sitting there flabergasted. Talk about backhanded comments. Insults my watch and compliments my other stuff in one breath. Then while I'm waiting for my pieces to be cleaned he brings over a bunch of watches! None under 3K mind you.

I'm not one to react quickly when I'm processing strange comments thrown at me, but when I got to the car I started giggling and just could not stop.

For reference, my watch is the Coach Madison made by Movado. No, it's not a 3K watch (actually it was a 300 watch) but it has a lot of sentimental value for me and I love it.

I'm still gigling. I'm going to go home and tell my DH that I have it on the *best* (snicker) authority that I must get a nicer watch.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really offensive way to try to drum up business. I think I would be bugged and probably not go back to the store....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1302904108|2897246 said:
That is a really offensive way to try to drum up business. I think I would be bugged and probably not go back to the store....

Well, I have to go and pick up my chain. But yeah... I won't be going back after that. I was really just... in awe. There is actually a watch on my wishlist, but it is low priority. Longines Evidenza Mini with diamonds. Black Face. Arabic Numerals.

But it's not something I'd buy myself. It's a 'safe present' so it's on DH's list of things he can buy me when he wants to. But I just could NOT believe the way this guy just brought the watches over and starts handing them to me. LIke I'd be, "Okay, you're right. Here's my credit card."

Disgusting. You are stronger than me.. I would've grabbed my stuff and left.

OR.. I would've said, "You're right.. I only wear my $30,000 watch for special occasions."
OR.. "Mwahaha you think this is all that I have? OH TO LIVE ON A SMALL BUDGET SUCH AS YOURSELF.."

I'm an ass.. :rodent:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1302904926|2897268 said:

OR.. I would've said, "You're right.. I only wear my $30,000 watch for special occasions."
OR.. "Mwahaha you think this is all that I have? OH TO LIVE ON A SMALL BUDGET SUCH AS YOURSELF.."

I'm an a$$.. :rodent:

Nah, just jaded. I have REALLY REALLY REALLY low expectations from most B&Ms. And both the ones I normally use for repairs are a minimum 30 minute drive from me (without traffic). And for a simple 'switch out the lobster clasp' I'm not inclined to let their idiocy cost me a gallon of gas... especially at 4.30 a gallon right now... not to mention the time. But yeah, I won't be going back after I pick up the chain.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1302904926|2897268 said:

I'm an a$$.. :rodent:
I love the way you think !

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I've had a senior partner (who was a nice and personable man to boot, surprisingly, given the story I'm about to share) say something similar to me once. Admittedly, my watch that day was an old P.o.S., but there is *something* to be said for someone pointing that out... well, someone who's not biased in the matter, like a jeweler would be, at least.

I've come to realize that watches are to men like diamond engagement rings are to women. Most people don't notice them too much, but some people absolutely do. A smaller subset of that second category use that data when making those 'first four seconds" snap judgments about people. Shallow? Sure. Does it mean you should change? Nope. Would it be shrewd to absorb the lesson that it's something to worth keeping in mind in certain social situations? That's for each one of us to judge for ourselves.

Bad business for that jeweler to mention it so artlessly, though. I'd have found myself giggling in the car afterwards, too.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
All I have to say is this: that is so effed up...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess times are tough at that jewelry store! Trying to HUSTLE the biz HARD. A little TOO hard. I would agree that watches are the *jewelry* of men. And an established shorthand for guessing people's socioeconomic status. (Ditto: shoes.) But I kinda can't believe he "went there". YIKES! How ROOOOOOOOOOOOUDE!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fleur, I definitely think that's true. I know a lot of men who are watch hounds.

The thing for me is... my Coach watch is the EXACT style I like. You can pretty much get this style in a LeCoultre, Longines, etc. And so everytime I go watch shopping I'm looking at the EXACT same style, but with a different brand name on it. And I'm not a brand person. If there is a REASON to chose a particular brand, sure, but I'm not one to buy something that is pretty much identical to another thing, but pricier, just for a brand name. It's true about my car, about my jewelry in general. So... actually I think the watch is very accurate. I could have spent 700 for the version of this watch with the Movado name on it, but I opted for the Coach version that is made by Movado for Coach for half the price. Pretty much how I run my life. I don't pay more for a brand name unless there is a reason for it- quality, warranty, dependability... whatever.

It keeps time and makes me smile. Do I want diamond on my watch... sure, eventually. But not because of what someone assumes about me from my watch. But because I genuinely want a different time piece. Or my husband decides that it's an appropriate gift for a special occassion.

Deco: not only did he go there. He went across the showroom and pulled watches and brought them back to me and expected me to try them on for him. REALLY???? I just looked at them, kept mine on, and said I'm not in the market for a different watch right now.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is one my pet peeves-naturally. Rule number one in retail, never insult someone's jewelry. I also don't understand the you-have-to-wear-pieces-of-the-same-price-bracket nonsense. There are no rules. Mix real with faux-High end with low. You never know why someone is wearing a specific piece. When I worked in the biz some of the wealthiest clients wore plain bands and not much else-really. Another peeve is a retailer insulting another shop-off topic, sorry Gypsy. :)) ...but that too gets my goat. Love your jewelry, G-and your watch sounds really nice-like the sentiment too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
People are MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely to buy something if they TOUCH it. He's just pulling old school power sales moves w/that one. "Trrrrryyyyy it. You'll liiiikkkkeeee it". As if once you felt the heft and luxury of a 2k watch on your arm NOTHING ELSE will ever do again. :tongue:

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1302908396|2897314 said:
I guess times are tough at that jewelry store! Trying to HUSTLE the biz HARD. A little TOO hard. I would agree that watches are the *jewelry* of men. And an established shorthand for guessing people's socioeconomic status. (Ditto: shoes.) But I kinda can't believe he "went there". YIKES! How ROOOOOOOOOOOOUDE!

Your parenthetical reminds me of that scene from Silence of the Lambs, Deco.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably would have sniffed and said, "how gauche!"

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Coati. When I got my VERY FIRST paycheck after passing the Bar, it was burning a hole in my pocket and I was on the way to deposit it and on the way I happened to go to a local Coach store and it was in the case and it seemed like such an extravagance. To spend 300 on JEWELRY that is not an engagement ring (obviously I've changed that mindset).

And my husband (then fiance) wanted me to buy it when I told him about it that night... but I was just out of school with a grad student mind set and could NOT bring myself to do it. But I did visit it often, husband in tow. I couldn't buy it though. We'd gone too many days where hot dogs were the menu item, and the dollar menu was a luxury. So a year later we move to CA and I'm now making a REAL salary, and it's my birthday. My husband stops at the watch counter at Macy's and says... isn't that the watch you wanted last year? And I'm like... HE REMEMBERED! And even though at that point we could have spent more on a watch... I don't think any present could have made me happier. It always reminds me of the time when twenty dollars in my wallet was a REAL luxury... and how far we've come. More than any other piece of mine... it's actually the one that represents "success" to me.

But then again, I equate "success" with comfort. Not with keeping up with the joneses. To each thier own. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1302909427|2897333 said:
I probably would have sniffed and said, "how gauche!"

Julie, the day I can do that with a straight face on is the day I apply to the Screen Actor's Guild.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1302909469|2897334 said:
Thanks Coati. When I got my VERY FIRST paycheck after passing the Bar, it was burning a hole in my pocket and I was on the way to deposit it and on the way I happened to go to a local Coach store and it was in the case and it seemed like such an extravagance. To spend 300 on JEWELRY that is not an engagement ring (obviously I've changed that mindset).

And my husband (then fiance) wanted me to buy it when I told him about it that night... but I was just out of school with a grad student mind set and could NOT bring myself to do it. But I did visit it often, husband in tow. I couldn't buy it though. We'd gone too many days where hot dogs were the menu item, and the dollar menu was a luxury. So a year later we move to CA and I'm now making a REAL salary, and it's my birthday. My husband stops at the watch counter at Macy's and says... isn't that the watch you wanted last year? And I'm like... HE REMEMBERED! And even though at that point we could have spent more on a watch... I don't think any present could have made me happier. It always reminds me of the time when twenty dollars in my wallet was a REAL luxury... and how far we've come. More than any other piece of mine... it's actually the one that represents "success" to me.

But then again, I equate "success" with comfort. Not with keeping up with the joneses. To each thier own. :wavey:

Gypsy, that's such a lovely story!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Fleur. I LOVE this watch. Always have.

And it is true. You never know WHY someone is attached to something, so it is always best not to insult it. Especially with anything jewelry related, IMO.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely story-Gypsy. (I totally relate)

Your watch is priceless. Enjoy that beauty. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1302910237|2897351 said:
Lovely story-Gypsy. (I totally relate)

Your watch is priceless. Enjoy that beauty. :))

Priceless. Perfect word. I also lost most my 'priceless' items in a robbery a couple years back so this and a couple of my other pieces are really irreplaceable, and mean that much more to me because they 'survived.' ((HUGS HONEY))

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
You do have beautiful jewelry.
Often, women prefer to wear fashion watches. I usually wear my Michelle and love to change out the straps to match my outfit. I see my watch as an extension of my clothing; I do not think of it as jewelry. I have two nice watches, but I always reach for my Michelle. He was making quite an assumption about you.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Pink Tower|1302911108|2897366 said:
You do have beautiful jewelry.
Often, women prefer to wear fashion watches. I usually wear my Michelle and love to change out the straps to match my outfit. I see my watch as an extension of my clothing; I do not think of it as jewelry. I have two nice watches, but I always reach for my Michelle. He was making quite an assumption about you.

and for me, my Michele is my 'nice' watch :)

Gypsy I can't believe he said that...how rude. And what a lovely story about your watch :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - I'm glad you were able to get a good giggle out of your encounter with that stupid man! And - I love your Coach watch story!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That IS a great story, it makes me even madder for you! It is a wonder that jewelers stays in business. But, I have come across
odd attitude at jewelry stores often. I don't know why.

I agree with Coati, most of the people that I know who are really wealthy, do not wear it. In fact, you would never know it to
look at them. Store employees don't really seem to get this. I have seen employees fawn over someone who looks like they are
wearing expensive jewelry only to have them walk away without a sale, and totally ignore someone else who was waiting
to purchase something.

This guy even tops that!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That guy needs a sales course BAD!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
So so rude. :angryfire:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one time i was in a jewelry store and i was staring down at a case full of Rolex watches,then a SA walk up and ask me...are you ready for a Rolex? what he really meant to say was... can you afford a Rolex? how rude of him .. :rolleyes:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much Pink Tower. I think describing it as clothing is a good way to talk about it. I'm not that way, but neither is my watch really 'jewelry' for me. It's an accessory. There are MANY days I go without one altogether. I probably wear it twice or three times a week. It's not an essential to me.

I've seen the Michelle watches and they look really nice. My aunt has one that she loves and it's a great accessory.

Thank you slg! Yeah, he was an odd duck.

Hi VR... thank you. I did get a giggle. And I AM still on the hunt for that vintage pear faced LeCoultre. YOU my dear, have gorgeous watches!

Luv2sparkle, around here a lot of BMs have gone out of business and several of them have been ones where I've just been disgusted by their service and misinformation. But some of them still baffle the mind. :rolleyes: I've had the same experience. Some of the wealthiest men I know look like regular joes with just a plain gold band.

Jewelfreak, I know, right?

Rosetta, totally!

OMG DF, I got that EXACT line when I was in the Lexus dealership last year. "So... are you ready for a Lexus." I was like...ugh. Can I have another sales person please? Needless to say, I didn't buy a Lexus.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1302924933|2897528 said:
OMG DF, I got that EXACT line when I was in the Lexus dealership last year. "So... are you ready for a Lexus." I was like...ugh. Can I have another sales person please? Needless to say, I didn't buy a Lexus.
i got the same reaction from a BMW SA.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, your watch story is so sweet and moving...No doubt your watch means so much to you and that's the way it should be...Always wear it proudly...The sentimental value of things is extremely important and that's what makes them so special. No salesperson should ever make such rude and imbecile comments to customers, but unfortunately those people exist and we have to put up with them...
It happened to me in a Louis Vuitton boutique. I own more than ten LV handbags and also wallets, pochettes, keychains, silk scarves, belts, you name it. I go in a LV store one day carrying a $40 handbag that my fiance' got for me (because i said i liked it when we passed by the window of the store which was selling it in Eaton Center, Toronto) and the people in there gave me the "are you sure you can afford that $3000 bag you're asking to see" look. What is wrong with people, i wonder... Needless to say that i didn't buy anything that day. They totally ruined my mood and i didn't feel like spending my precious money in there. And you know something? I'm still wearing that $40 bag almost every day, with all my diamond jewelry...That's how much i love it...So just do what makes you happy and leave such people in their stupidity, losing your business.

Idiots :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results