shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone make their own smoked salmon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
We love smoked salmon, but they can be pricey... so.. here I am trying to learn to make cold smoked salmon so I can eat as much as I want whenever I want. Any good and simple DIY recipes for cold smoked salmon would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to know too. I love smoked salmon, especially with bagels and cream cheese. Now I am hungry!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...maybe if someone from the PacNW could chime in. I haven''t done it myself, so I''m not sure...

How do you ladies feel about Gravlax?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t smoke my own salmon, but I do make my own gravlax. Dead easy and delicious!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heck yeah Lady D! I need to make some soon...yum yum yum...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here you go, Freke:

Get a nice piece of salmon, preferably thick

Season it with freshky ground black pepper and place it on a long piece of foil or saran wrap (it should be long enough to wrap around the fish)

Cover the upper side with fresh dill and then with coarse seasalt (some people add some sugar to the salt, but I dislike that). Go heavy on the salt: enough so you don''t see the fish under it

Flip the fish over so that the side with all the salt is facing down (it helps to use a plate to hold everything in its place). Procede to cover the second side with dill and then salt.

Wrap the foil around the salt and the fish and close it tightly. Place everything on a baking tray or something similar with low sides that will catch the liquids that come out of the salmon. Put something heavy on top of the fish (I use a 600ml measuring cup filled with water) and put it in the refrigerator.

Every 4 hours, drain the liquids in the pan and flip the fish. For a thinner salmon, about 8 hours will do. If it is a very large fillet, then you may need 24 hours or more. The fish should be firm and dark pink all the way through when ready.

Wash the salt and dill off and serve. Yum!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Yum !

Hubby went salmon fishing in August and we have a freezer full of Salmon filets and Halibut.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if I have any salmon in the freezer?

*runs off to make Gravlax*

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 8:39:47 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Here you go, Freke:

Get a nice piece of salmon, preferably thick

Season it with freshky ground black pepper and place it on a long piece of foil or saran wrap (it should be long enough to wrap around the fish)

Cover the upper side with fresh dill and then with coarse seasalt (some people add some sugar to the salt, but I dislike that). Go heavy on the salt: enough so you don't see the fish under it

Flip the fish over so that the side with all the salt is facing down (it helps to use a plate to hold everything in its place). Procede to cover the second side with dill and then salt.

Wrap the foil around the salt and the fish and close it tightly. Place everything on a baking tray or something similar with low sides that will catch the liquids that come out of the salmon. Put something heavy on top of the fish (I use a 600ml measuring cup filled with water) and put it in the refrigerator.

Every 4 hours, drain the liquids in the pan and flip the fish. For a thinner salmon, about 8 hours will do. If it is a very large fillet, then you may need 24 hours or more. The fish should be firm and dark pink all the way through when ready.

Wash the salt and dill off and serve. Yum!

Can lazy folks like me put the filet on a pizza pan and let it drain into a bowl/pan underneath? Then I'd only have to flip instead of drain, wipe, and replace. But seriously, that's it??? I thought it would be much more complicated than that! Thanks for the recipe
1.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may get some strage marks on the salmon, but it should work fine. It is hard to mess this up! The only time I did was when I left some for too long and it was ttoo salty - but it went fine with scrambbled eggs anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results