shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know the size of the pave in the Harry Winston halo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
I think they may be the 1mm half pointers but that just seems so small to me.

I was considering using the 1.3mm .01ct stones in the halo but do you think that is too big?

thanks!

cant believe i am so worried about 0.3mm but it does make a difference I guess - trying to go for that delicate look

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 12:46:33 AM
Author: Phoenix
I''ve read somewhere that they''re something like 0.6-0.7 of a pointer, ie. less than one pointer each.

Who are you considering having your stone set by (it''s really beautiful btw)? I am having my pear set in this style (811 Adriana):

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=286

And I''ve asked Leon to make the halo as thin and as delicate as possible.

You might also find this article helpful:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/articles/micropave.php

Those Leon settings are amazing. That pear style is stunning - I love it and would have him set a pear if and when I ever get one
1.gif

The jeweler who found my cushion is also a very talented setting maker and can replicate almost anything. He''s here in NYC but doesnt do much retail sales other than for friends, etc.

I think you are right about them being half-pointers which are about 1mm wide. I''m just wondering if going to 1.3mm (one pointers) will make a huge difference in how delciate the final product will look. I dont want the halo looking clunky but I think it has a lot to do with being sure the way the pave are set i.e. shared prong/bead set so you dont see ANY metal. An HW ring I saw used 86 rounds in the shank and halo for a total of 0.51ct which is an average ct weight of .0059, so basically all half-pointers. But their shank was super thin - i think around 1.5mm and although very dainty, it looked like it would bend with the slightest amount of pressure. I think I like the 1.8mm width.

Cartier''s halo used slightly larger stones in the halo as they said they like to make each ring in proportion to the center stone. I think they use slightly larger in the halo because their total was 0.80ct. Tiffany (it wasnt a cushion but a halo''d emerald) used 60 rounds in the melee for a total of 0.41ct (.0068 avg ct weight).

I know I am splitting hairs here (0.3mm differences) but if I''m going the custom route I might as well make it as precise as I can. All 3 make gorgeous rings and Cartier is the one that uses just a tiny bit larger pave on the halo. And that Leon setting above also uses one-pointers and I think it still looks VERY delicate.

Are you going for a flush style or going to have a little bit of a basket?

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Just as a follow up, the HW ring uses really tiny diamonds - half pointers on the shank (1mm) and may a touch bigger on the halo. It seems most micropave designs use no more than 1 pointers with most being less. I''m going with .007 - .008 (~1.2mm) for the halo to ensure daintiness and .005 for the shank.

Tiny finger ;-)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 7:12:58 AM
Author: stone_seeker
Just as a follow up, the HW ring uses really tiny diamonds - half pointers on the shank (1mm) and may a touch bigger on the halo. It seems most micropave designs use no more than 1 pointers with most being less. I''m going with .007 - .008 (~1.2mm) for the halo to ensure daintiness and .005 for the shank.

Tiny finger ;-)
Thanks for the info; I am sure it will help others! Your ring will be gorgeous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results