shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know a good cooker?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello again,

I wanted to know if anyone had a good tourmaline cooker. I just had some tourmaline cut by Richard Homer and he suggested that one of the pieces he cut for me be heated to a lighter tone. It is currently deep cranberry. It was a 115ct mozambiqee pebble he cut for me. It is just about loop clean so it shouldn''t crack.

crantourm.JPG

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is the other peice he cut for me. It was a 10ct peice of aghan rough.

congbtour.JPG

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Very nice!

I dont know much about heat treatment but in sapphire you need to repolish the stone if you heat after cutting.

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for letting me know about heating sapphire. I know heating tourmline doesn''t require repolishing if it doesn''t crack or craze. I have done this myself over a flame in a test tube for small tourmaline.

Is sapphire heated prior to cutting also?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey mjo, i''m a pretty good cooker.... perhaps you should send those to me!
2.gif
9.gif

they are both very nice. my unrefined eyes like the color now, so i am curious how they will look after the heat treatment.
1.gif

please post the after shots!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Belle,

Only the Cranberry color needs cooking . The green-blue is perfect the way it is. You can tell the cranberry is dark by the way the ends are dark even though it is flooded with light.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi MJO
Yes if sapphire is heated it is done prior to cutting. I have had a few cases where I have cut a Gem fully natural and found the result dissapointing and have sent them to be heated these have needed to be re finished afterwards.

I hope your tourmaline turns out great if you do decide to heat, it would be a shame to crack it!
Just reminded me of some 20 years ago my boss cooked an 85 carat sapphire we found he was so excited to see the results he pulled it out of the oven while still very hot and it fractured badly, he ended up cutting a few nice little pieces only from this monster.

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/19/2005 9:58:30 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
Martha Stewart?...
19.gif
Do you know how its done or is "it inside information" ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results