shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a new quiz thread?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I know but I did look it up. I will leave it for someone else to answer who knows without a search on the www. This is FUN!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to tell you there is a 6 minute clip of the Burton-Taylor episode of Here''s Lucy on Youtube. I watched it. What a BIG diamond.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:03:59 PM
Author: marcyc
I think I know but I did look it up. I will leave it for someone else to answer who knows without a search on the www. This is FUN!
It is, and never knew this tid bit!!!
31.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 10:56:13 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Why was Evalyn Walsh McLean known as being less respectful to the Hope Diamond.

You have to list two reasons...

( I know most of you are into colored stones, and am not there yet... That is a few courses away but have lots of great diamond and jewelry questions.. We''ll see how it goes!! )
oh,oh pick me,pick me!
1-
She let her dog wear it around his neck
2-
she pawned it to raise money in troubled times for her husbands news paper and political career
3-
She lent it to friends and wore it everyday out to lunch and to the movies
The best book on the Hope is by Richard Kurin!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Cant remember where i read this...didnt she also wear it to visit a medium(sp)to talk to the dead?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:16:35 PM
Author: jewelerman

( I know most of you are into colored stones, and am not there yet... That is a few courses away but have lots of great diamond and jewelry questions.. We''ll see how it goes!! )
oh,oh pick me,pick me!
1-
2-
she pawned it to raise money in troubled times for her husbands news paper and political career
3-
Ding ding ding!!

Now where did she keep it when she wasn''t wearing it?? OMG this killed me!!!
23.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:22:11 PM
Cant remember where i read this...didnt she also wear it to visit a medium(sp)to talk to the dead?
That wasn''t in my book/ course material, but wouldn''t be surprised, she was very eccentric...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:26:49 PM

oh,oh pick me,pick me!
1-
2-
3-
Ding ding ding!!

23.gif
i remember from Kirins book that after her death her lawyer found all her jewelry in a shoe box...yes?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:35:11 PM

Date: 6/15/2009 11:26:49 PM

oh,oh pick me,pick me!
1-
2-
3-
Ding ding ding!!

23.gif
i remember from Kirins book that after her death her lawyer found all her jewelry in a shoe box...yes?
Yes!! A shoe box, that just floored me!!! You win!!!
1.gif
36.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:04:55 PM
I forgot to tell you there is a 6 minute clip of the Burton-Taylor episode of Here''s Lucy on Youtube. I watched it. What a BIG diamond.
just went and watched it!Great clip!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A shoe box? I''d probably forget what it was and throw it away.

Jewelerman, glad you watched the clip. That diamond is amazing. Ewe for pouring champagne on it.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 12:04:23 AM
A shoe box? I''d probably forget what it was and throw it away.

Jewelerman, glad you watched the clip. That diamond is amazing. Ewe for pouring champagne on it.
Its been years since ive seen it!
NEXT QUESTION
Name the most famous green diamond(apple green!)extra points for naming an owner, and what its set in!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
MORE DIAMOND QUESTIONS!
Name the famous blue diamond that the smaller Hope diamond was supposed to have been cut from,its size and for extra points...why was it recut!anyone can go to the web on this one...name the www. so that we can learn more about famous diamonds and their history!Name a famous owner for the stone.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Awwwww shoot! That''s what I get for missing a day online. I knew the answers to the first Hope question – good work jewelerman! Fun stuff. Hey, more power to Evalyn... if you can''t enjoy it, why bother? Also, Evalyn and others who owned the Hope all seemed to have such tragedy-filled lives. I say, one might as well have a bit of fun with the gem while one can...

I believe Liz Taylor got flack for letting others hold and try on her magnificent jewels as well.

So, let''s see. more Hope stuff... I know it was recut several times, first it was 112-plus cts, then 67 or 68cts when Louis XV had it. During his time it was known as The French Blue. Next, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette had the diamond, however, the French Blue and the rest of the Crown Jewels disappeared during the French Revolution (as well as a few heads *SIGH*). I believe when it reappeared in the early 1800''s (can''t remember when) it was purchased by a king (don''t remember who) and weighed less... probably what it does now – about 45 cts.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Oh sorry – the first recut of the French Blue was to better its performance and to change the shape into a heart (French Kings, you know... such sentimentalists). My guess would be that it was recut again to disguise it as the stolen French Blue.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Dresden Green? Only big green diamond I know...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 12:35:15 PM
Author: Rockit
Dresden Green? Only big green diamond I know...
Yes its the Dresden!Also you win on the French blue!It was never recovered after a robbery during the French Revolution period and was heart shaped.Interesting that the Hope looks like it was recut from a heart shaped stone
31.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
What Famous diamond was connected with Russia''s Catherine the great and what cut is it.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Orlov? Don''t know/remember the shape or cut (or color!).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greetings, Lisa! I had wanted to congratulate you on a reallly interesting question on how the Hope Diamond was handled by one of its owners, so I looked back in the thread to see where you posed the original question. I was amazed to see that you are becoming a GIA Gemologist! Congratulations! That took me totally by surprise. And I am very happy for you that you have taken the plunge and decided to take your love of jewels and expertise with diamonds and jewelry to the next level!

Please keep us informed of your progress!

Many hugs of congratulations,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
This quiz got me curious again about some of Liz Taylor''s jewelry collection. So, last eve I pulled out my big Liz Taylor jewelry book and was drooling over all the gorgeous pieces before I went to bed. Then, I left it on the lower shelf of my night table. Too bad... I woke up this morning to discover that the dog had chewed the binder of my beautiful book! Aghhh!
38.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockit, sorry to hear about your book. It is so amazing to look at all of her beautiful jewels.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/17/2009 12:24:59 PM
Author: Rockit

This quiz got me curious again about some of Liz Taylor''s jewelry collection. So, last eve I pulled out my big Liz Taylor jewelry book and was drooling over all the gorgeous pieces before I went to bed. Then, I left it on the lower shelf of my night table. Too bad... I woke up this morning to discover that the dog had chewed the binder of my beautiful book! Aghhh!
I am sorry s/he got that book, Rockit, but I have been dreaming of having a dog again. Reading this made me very nostaglic. I remember the days of telling my daughter that ours was a book lover while at the same time shouting, "NO books! NO books!".

AGBF
34.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Haha, cute, AGBF. Well, having a binderless book is not ALL bad. Really, I can always use the loose pages as wallpaper... perhaps, I should rethink my powder room?
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 12:37:38 AM
What Famous diamond was connected with Russia''s Catherine the great and what cut is it.
The Orlove. Strange cut.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 9:43:00 AM
Author: AGBF

Greetings, Lisa! I had wanted to congratulate you on a reallly interesting question on how the Hope Diamond was handled by one of its owners, so I looked back in the thread to see where you posed the original question. I was amazed to see that you are becoming a GIA Gemologist! Congratulations! That took me totally by surprise. And I am very happy for you that you have taken the plunge and decided to take your love of jewels and expertise with diamonds and jewelry to the next level!

Please keep us informed of your progress!

Many hugs of congratulations,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif
Many thanks Deb. I will email you, don''t want to take up space on this thread..

I have more really fun questions to add, but am studying for my final exam. Once that''s done on Monday I will sort through some and post them here.

PS has taught me sooooo much. I am learning stuff that I never knew before evern after working in the business. I am really excited and can''t wait till I get to the colored stones etc... I have a long road ahead, but I am very motivated.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 7:48:26 PM

I have more really fun questions to add, but am studying for my final exam. Once that''s done on Monday I will sort through some and post them here.
Good luck on your test Monday, Lisa!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 10:27:47 PM

Date: 6/20/2009 7:48:26 PM

Good luck on your test Monday, Lisa!
Awww, thanks Marcy. I took it yesterday and got an A. I am now onto Diamonds and Diamond Grading...
34.gif
I hope to do it in two months, lord willing. You never know what life has in store for you. But am going full force in the mean time...
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 11:00:46 PM
Awww, thanks Marcy. I took it yesterday and got an A. I am now onto Diamonds and Diamond Grading...
34.gif
I hope to do it in two months, lord willing. You never know what life has in store for you. But am going full force in the mean time...
1.gif
Sorry my well wishes were late but sounds like you did GREAT without them.
36.gif
Congratulations. How fun to be venturing on to Diamonds now.
9.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your test grade Kaleigh!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results