carat
color
clarity

Anyone here not tone deaf?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not posting this as political.
I'm posting this as an astonishing example of an astonishingly incompent "singer" who was somehow hired for an apparently important gig.

When someone sings a serious song in a serious venue they are supposed to hit the notes, on pitch, not sharp, not flat.
They are also supposed to not drift so far from the song's key that it feels like they have modulated to a different key, let alone do that a few times during the song.
This singer didn't get the memo. :knockout::nono::doh:

America's national anthem is notoriously difficult to sing.
That's why event planners must find a competent singer who can pull it off.
This singer makes Florence Foster Jenkins sound like Whitney Houston.

You who read musical notation will get the next joke.
Marc J Harroo wrote the musical notation of incorrect pitches and keys that she actually sang. :wacko:
Also notice his notes.
He titled his transcription, "The Star Strangled Banner". LOL

Some of the comments are a hoot too.:lol-2:

Enjoy.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh!
This is even funnier.

Here is a pianist trying to accompany her - after the fact.
Notice how he kept having to search for and change the key to follow her.

Last edited:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
:???: This is the kind of "singing" that makes me itchy! A friend of ours is a drummer (has a music degree from a highly recognized institution) who, as a young adult, was in a marching band. He has impeccable rhythm (he plays guitar and is great w/ key, as well) and one day, had us in stitches laughing as he imitated how a bagpiper freeforms "Amazing Grace" for rhythm. I laughed so hard!

I cannot imagine what was going through this gal's accompanying pianist's mind! She was off tempo from the get-go, poor thing. To be this off-key is mind boggling...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:???: This is the kind of "singing" that makes me itchy! ...

If that makes you itch then Florence Foster Jenkins will have you breaking out in hives.

Meryl Streep recently stared in a film about Jenkins.
I bought a Jenkins CD around 30 years ago.
Her life is such an amazing story.

Here's Florence in all her glory.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that was so painful...and I'm someone who cant sing a note (but at least I know it!)

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
omg!!! @kenny

I cannot sing nor do I have musical training but my ears work and I love good music. And this aint it! At least Florence was fun and exuberant, like a kid singing Happy Birthday. Or like Alfalfa and his Figaro bit.

omg. I just listened again. No words.

Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kenny agreed that Florence Foster Jenkins was a great movie! Such an interesting life story brought to life.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have perfect pitch. Can't read music to save my life though. This practically makes my ears bleed. :knockout:

Was classically trained, shifted into jazz.

It's a hard piece, even harder a cappella. But what makes it so hard is the range & time...the melody itself never struck me as terribly challenging. But she shouldn't have tried. Poor thing crucified her singing career IMO.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
If that makes you itch then Florence Foster Jenkins will have you breaking out in hives.

LOL! @kenny We watched the Meryl Streep movie and I was so impressed with how she could purposefully sing off key. I have relative pitch (rather than perfect pitch) and find it's difficult to be off on purpose. :???: My hubby, on the other hand, loves and adores music, and could. not. carry. a. tune. in. a. bucket. Le sigh. On the odd occasion that he's on key, it's a stellar moment in the household. :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
LOL! @kenny We watched the Meryl Streep movie and I was so impressed with how she could purposefully sing off key. I have relative pitch (rather than perfect pitch) and find it's difficult to be off on purpose. :???: My hubby, on the other hand, loves and adores music, and could. not. carry. a. tune. in. a. bucket. Le sigh. On the odd occasion that he's on key, it's a stellar moment in the household. :lol:

Meryl Streep was a marvel with that!

You describing your husband reminds me of my sister....she has always been utterly and hopelessly tone deaf. When she was in high school, it was mandatory for her to learn how to play an instrument. She chose the French Horn.

Why, in God's name, would her music teacher let her select the FRENCH HORN of all things, an instrument that is notorious for requiring an exceptional ear and control to master...I will never know.

But I was subjected to hours of off key practicing for two years. Of course, our bedrooms shared a wall. Oh it was MISERY.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Meryl Streep was a marvel with that!

You describing your husband reminds me of my sister....she has always been utterly and hopelessly tone deaf. When she was in high school, it was mandatory for her to learn how to play an instrument. She chose the French Horn.

Why, in God's name, would her music teacher let her select the FRENCH HORN of all things, an instrument that is notorious for requiring an exceptional ear and control to master...I will never know.

But I was subjected to hours of off key practicing for two years. Of course, our bedrooms shared a wall. Oh it was MISERY.

ROTF!!! I can commiserate! I play electric bass (fretless) and used to play violin at one point. My hubby plays guitar and LOVES when we "play together". Honestly? I have pulled back from playing because the off-key racket he makes grates on my nerves. He also loves Tom Waits and insists on doing those songs (over and over, ad nauseam) to the point where they make me itchy. Back to the "itchy". LOL!

I really admire my DH's dedication to learning to play, and his tempo is greatly improved so that it's pretty good now. But the "singing", oh the singing...

ETA: Our house hasn't any doors that close off the basement from the rest of the house. He practices down there with great zeal (and volume) on electric and or acoustic instruments. I have to use earplugs, sometimes. Well, I don't have to, I choose to. Gratefully. LOL!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
ROTF!!! I can commiserate! I play electric bass (fretless) and used to play violin at one point. My hubby plays guitar and LOVES when we "play together". Honestly? I have pulled back from playing because the off-key racket he makes grates on my nerves. He also loves Tom Waits and insists on doing those songs (over and over, ad nauseam) to the point where they make me itchy. Back to the "itchy". LOL!

I really admire my DH's dedication to learning to play, and his tempo is greatly improved so that it's pretty good now. But the "singing", oh the singing...

ETA: Our house hasn't any doors that close off the basement from the rest of the house. He practices down there with great zeal (and volume) on electric and or acoustic instruments. I have to use earplugs, sometimes. Well, I don't have to, I choose to. Gratefully. LOL!

Very cool that you play bass! Oh and that is sweet of your DH. At least he is TRYING. I guess...A+ for effort? LOL.

But you might have to sneak off on your own to get in some jamming in solo to maintain sanity from time to time...it really is like nails on a chalkboard!

...but maybe I should thank my lucky stars that she finally gave it up.... :lol: I think she secretly delighted in how much I hated it. We were two teenaged girls after all. :lol-2:

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Bless her heart...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
She's not a terrible singer, per se. Her voice has a decent tone and quality. HOWEVER...

She did a lousy job with this. She did not adequately prepare, rehearse, know how she was going to handle the tricky ups and downs of this music. She definitely needed to have musicians behind her to keep her on key and in the proper time. All of which means that she is by no means a professional and should not consider herself one. And she should never sing a solo again.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It suits the occasion.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It's called transposition in musical terms. It takes skill to shift every 2 notes. :lol-2:

@chrono I laughed so hard at this!

@kenny Thanks for this, I just spent about 20 mins watching all the other variations. My cats did not appreciate it.:errrr:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Haha.....she is being spontaneous and improvising with unplanned key changes!

The closest thing I have heard to this horrendous version was a tone-deaf kid (around 10) singing at a softball season opening. Her dad was the president of the softball association :)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh!
This is even funnier.

Here is a pianist trying to accompany her - after the fact.
Notice how he kept having to search for and change the key to follow her.

OM Gosh!!! Hahahahahahahhahaha. The poor guy's face!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you guys are just so mean.

Today everybody gets an award, the same award.
If little Jonny says 2+2=5, well just bless his little heart.
If little Susie doesn't want to learn spelling and grammar don't discriminate against her.
You elite academics are what's wrong with the world.

Haven't you heard?
We're all equal now. :roll:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do not under any circumstances invite her to the Olympics or the collective ears of the world will have a diplomatic incident

That was just awful, diabolical, disgraceful, gringworthy and embarrassing

I almost think she was either trying too hard or taking the pi**

an insult to everyone from the pilgrims and the funding fathers down to little kiddos learning it in elementary school, brand new citizens and immigrants and not forgetting the ears of friendly nations !!!

Lots of national anthems are hard to sing, not all citizens or patriots can sing
But there is no excuse, when so many talented people of all ages can actually hold a tune - to hire or otherwise engage someone who performs it like that

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
45 should have played that on the boarder instead of building that wall he was always going on about

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m trying to figure out how no one close to her told her this was a very bad idea. Surely someone had to hear her sing the song before she went on stage. This was shown on Jimmy Kimmel last night and I thought it was a joke.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m trying to figure out how no one close to her told her this was a very bad idea. Surely someone had to hear her sing the song before she went on stage. This was shown on Jimmy Kimmel last night and I thought it was a joke.

To get this gig I suspect she had to be a powerful muckyety muck in that org, or a family member of a muckyety muck.
That would explain the absence of an audition. :doh:

Some have suggest it was intentional, and was a statement to make a point.
... but I hesitate to speculate what exactly that point is.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get this gig I suspect she had to be a powerful muckyety muck in that org, or a family member of a muckyety muck.
That would explain the absence of an audition. :doh:

Some have suggest it was intentional, and was a statement to make a point.
... but I hesitate to speculate what exactly that point is.

You are probably right Kenny. This would not have passed an audition. I feel bad for her.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have any of you ever heard Fergie's version? Yike on a bike.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results