shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone heard of the seller "Jim McCormick" AKA"Elvisprasiolite"?

hifihua428

Rough_Rock
Anyone heard of the seller "Jim McCormick" aka "Elvisprasiolite"?

Is he a reputable seller? It seems that he had a PS account under the name "Elvisprasiolite" but can't find him anymore.

I saw a stone listed by him that I might be interested.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen him here much but yes, he is still selling online.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He's known. Personally don't like dealing with him because he reminds me of a used car salesman. Never brought from him only spoken.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone heard of the seller "Jim McCormick" aka "Elvisprasiolite"?

Is he a reputable seller? It seems that he had a PS account under the name "Elvisprasiolite" but can't find him anymore.

I saw a stone listed by him that I might be interested.

I've bought from him a couple times. He seems very nice and I've had no problems returning anything to him either.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an amazing stone from him. He has great customer service and returns are not a problem. I would recommend working with him.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an amazing stone from him. He has great customer service and returns are not a problem. I would recommend working with him.

Same here. I've bought stones from Jim before and international shipping was not an issue. Kept some and returned others. Refunds were prompt and problem-free. Jim was always polite if sometimes a bit passionate about his gems.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm glad to see all these positive reviews. I've seen some gorgeous gems from him but how he comes across in emails *always* puts me off. Seems to come off as really *really* pushy and I dislike how much he normally tells me to "trust him" :) trust is earned not just demanded!!!

I'd understand trusting him once I've done business with him for a bit, not just going to randomly trust a total stranger because he says I should...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Representation of color/saturation varies between his photos and his videos. For whatever reason, his photos show intense, often vivid color, whereas his videos do not. I discount his photos and only look at the video.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I've noticed him using a lot of another ebay seller's photos for his listings, aka one of his supplier.
And I've bought from that ebay seller before, highly PSed photos. I returned all stones.
So I personally wouldn't buy from him cause I know where he buys from and that source ain't that good.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've noticed him using a lot of another ebay seller's photos for his listings, aka one of his supplier.
And I've bought from that ebay seller before, highly PSed photos. I returned all stones.
So I personally wouldn't buy from him cause I know where he buys from and that source ain't that good.

You couldn't tell us who could you?? The eBay seller I mean.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
caratzone2015
I've eyed their stones many times but it really bothers me that they post 4 copies of the exact same photo, with 2 rotated 90 degrees so that it appears that they are different.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I've eyed their stones many times but it really bothers me that they post 4 copies of the exact same photo, with 2 rotated 90 degrees so that it appears that they are different.
Me too...
Anyway, those photos are quite saturated and not a good represent of the real stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, that explains why I find his photos so very different than his videos! Thanks, OTL. ;-)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't see why not. We are here to share vendor experiences right?
ebay: caratzone2015

Thank you! This is probably the cause of my "used car salesman" feeling I get when speaking to him. I've spoken to him multiple times, because he does seem to have some gorgeous stones, just always get put off after the conversations.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the GIA and the GRS reports make the color of the stone look good - and oftentimes, the photos from lab reports are meh. It seems that there is no lab report/appraisal on the diamonds, so you'd be relying on his opinion as to quality. The good news is that if you wanted, you could probably take the ring to your jeweler and have them verify the diamond quality.

hifihua428

Rough_Rock
I am from New Zealand so naturally I am bit more careful when I buy from private seller/dealer. It will be much more difficult for me to return due to tax/custom etc. Hence, I seeked advices here. I hope that I havent caused too much distress for him as its not my intention. I have received email from Jim, and he seems frustrated that he is unable to defend here

I am seeing some very positive feedback, while others are not so great. It does cause some concern for me, especially being a oversea buyer and not being able to see the stone/ ring.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm glad to see all these positive reviews. I've seen some gorgeous gems from him but how he comes across in emails *always* puts me off. Seems to come off as really *really* pushy and I dislike how much he normally tells me to "trust him" :) trust is earned not just demanded!!!

I'd understand trusting him once I've done business with him for a bit, not just going to randomly trust a total stranger because he says I should...

Quick response (It's been a very hard week)- Jim is trusting and he treats people the same. For example, I bought a $400 spinel and he sent another large expensive spinel with it for me to review even though I hadn't committed or paid for the spinel. He trusted me to be honest and return it or buy it- even though he would not have had a case if I chose to keep it and be dishonest about it. So I think he asks for trust because he trusts people - if that makes sense.

Another note- he does buy spinels, garnets, chrysoberlys and zircons from a Sri Lankan Ebay vendor which I don't have a problem with. He takes the risk of evaluating and many times having the stone re-cut for resale. I would much rather Jim take the risk and allow me to buy and have a hassle free US return to him then buying from the overseas Ebay vendor and sending it back. He is taking the risk not me.

With all that said- remember when buying a colored stone- if it doesn't knock your socks off when you open that package- send it back. That is the best advice I have ever been given. And always choose a vendor who offers a hassle free return.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick response (It's been a very hard week)- Jim is trusting and he treats people the same. For example, I bought a $400 spinel and he sent another large expensive spinel with it for me to review even though I hadn't committed or paid for the spinel. He trusted me to be honest and return it or buy it- even though he would not have had a case if I chose to keep it and be dishonest about it. So I think he trusts people because he trusts people - if that makes sense.

Another note- he does buy spinels, garnets, chrysoberlys and zircons from a Sri Lankan Ebay vendor which I don't have a problem with. He takes the risk of evaluating and many times having the stone re-cut for resale. I would much rather Jim take the risk and allow me to buy and have a hassle free US return to him then buying from the overseas Ebay vendor and sending it back. He is taking the risk not me.

With all that said- remember when buying a colored stone- if it doesn't knock your socks off when you open that package- send it back. That is the best advice I have ever been given. And always choose a vendor who offers a hassle free return.
LisaRN, that's really good advice! Since we all want to fall in love with beauty, there is always the problem of seeing what we want to see rather than thinking critically. And with imagination, we can find ways to bring out the soul of a gem, but really, first impressions are what we should be trusting as the deciding factor. I read a line recently about colored gems that went something like, " the best walk the walk and talk the talk. They wink at you from across the room, beckon you closer, and you find yourself willing to sell your soul to devils or lords to be able to call them your very own." Lol! How I can relate to that. That's the feeling that you should get when upon first sight.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick response (It's been a very hard week)- Jim is trusting and he treats people the same. For example, I bought a $400 spinel and he sent another large expensive spinel with it for me to review even though I hadn't committed or paid for the spinel. He trusted me to be honest and return it or buy it- even though he would not have had a case if I chose to keep it and be dishonest about it. So I think he asks for trust because he trusts people - if that makes sense.

Ok that's definitely a different way to view it, he's totally trusting so expects others to be the same... I just can't be that trusting haha. Not when I'm expected to give money to a stranger over the internet and just 'trust' he's not a con artist. I just felt like he's hestitant to answer my questions and pushes the "trust me" (and buy this stone right now without asking too much).

He does actually seem like a nice person if that kind of pushy-ness doesn't bother you, it's probably just me.

I also wouldn't like a vendor lurking on forums like this and contacting me (if I asked for opinions on him like this poster) and show his displeasure. This is what I mean by being pushy. I just don't find it right.

adler9

Rough_Rock
That and his clarity rating is meaningless. I have bought multiple times and all of his "VVS, EC" stones had undisclosed, very obvious and serious surface reaching cracks/imperfections/whatever you call it. The ones you dont even need to feel with your fingernails, bc they weren't "EC". And they weren't the cheap ones he sells. I was stupid enough to buy $1K+ stones from that store. Not worth 1/5 of that. If I decided to keep the stones, drastic recuts would have been necessary.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That and his clarity rating is meaningless. I have bought multiple times and all of his "VVS, EC" stones had undisclosed, very obvious and serious surface reaching cracks/imperfections/whatever you call it. The ones you dont even need to feel with your fingernails, bc they weren't "EC". And they weren't the cheap ones he sells. I was stupid enough to buy $1K+ stones from that store. Not worth 1/5 of that. If I decided to keep the stones, drastic recuts would have been necessary.

Are you talking about Jim or the Ebay vendor? Sorry, I got confused who we're talking about now.

adler9

Rough_Rock
Are you talking about Jim or the Ebay vendor? Sorry, I got confused who we're talking about now.
Sorry the quote function didn't include the orignal comment. Ebay supplier. Never bought from Jim McCormick

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have met him in person and looked at his gems. He allowed me to look as long as I wanted and encouraged me to study them under indoor and outdoor lighting conditions. He extolled the positives of each gem and also mentioned other vendors too that I should consider. I did purchase a spinel from him and found him friendly and professional. But since he is in the business of selling I would recommend that you have your purchases checked by a reputable jeweler.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Jim and I've purchased from him in the past. He makes returns simple and is a no-hassle seller. He always answers questions promptly too.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

well, you are not alone, I pretty much shopped around that number too. I returned all of them, like you said, real stones worth very little. It's the pretty dreamy pictures that fooled my mind.
Hence it bothers me that Mr Jim just use his photos as is for his listings. Now a lot of the listings no longer exist. Yet you can still find a few his listings on LT that are using this ebay seller's photo, I know they are so unreal, so I can't trust them personally.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1: Jim is always willing to explain a lot about his stones. For example how his stones behave in certain lighting conditions. Also he always is willing to answer questions. For me - as an international buyer from Europe - this is crucial. He is passionate about his work and his stones. In my limited experience his videos are very reliable.
My experience: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/6-06-ct-spess-lipstick-ring-by-david-klass.211491/
The photo below is a still from his video and it's accurate (though the stone proved more beautiful in real life).

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful ring, Acinom. Gorgeous stone! Yum!

I have bought from Jim. JMO. I think Jim has a good eye for color. Also:

- The stones I purchased from Jim were not misrepresented
- He has good return policy
- He never created problems with refund
- He is always professional

Re. "used auto salesman". Let us be honest - isn't it what all retailers programs teach one to be? "These earrings match the grey in your eyes... Should I wrap them? And speaking of it, we have a great matching necklace!" ;-) So why should we be upset if our vendors use the same methods? But as to Jim personally, he reminds me of the city I used to live in for one year, in IA, and I mean it in a positive way.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your experiances/opinions guys!

Any thoughts on this kashmir sapphire? Graded fby GIA and GRS.
GIA stated kashmir origin.
GRS stated vivid blue.
There is slight differnce in the measurement. But I am guessing it is due to difference in measurement equipments and error.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...ated-89ct-gia-slash-grs-origin-report-vivid-b

I would not respond to the word "Kashmir" per se. I have seen several in my life... only to understand that "Kashmir sapphires" is not the same as "best Kashmir sapphires". In general, I find sapphire is a very tricky stone to buy online. You really have to examine it under very different lights in the place where you live. I can't say anything about this one specifically, as I never purchased sapphires from Jim. Good return policy means a lot, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results