shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Have Tahitian Pearls from American Pearl?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I've looked at Pearl Paradise, the Pearl Outlet and American Pearl. AP has by far the designs that I prefer, and more to choose from. Has anyone seen Tahitians from AP?

Also, I'd like the classic dark Tahitian pearl with the greeny shimmers. So do I choose the regular black green pearl that AP sells, or select green as the overtone? I'm concerned that the Green option will be too green, but I don't want a pearl that's too black and has no obvious green.

I'm inexperienced with Tahitians so could do with some help. I'd like to buy earrings and possibly a ring.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have a single Tahitian on a silk cord from AP. I bought it a few years ago.
It's a lovely pearl...just a casual necklace thought. I bought a tin cup from them also. Nice quality.

Just looked at their site....yikes, I think the prices have doubled since I bought.

naria

Shiny_Rock
I haven't bought from AP, but you might also want to comparison shop at Tahitianpearls.biz as well. Jose set me up with a great necklace and worked hard to make sure it was exactly what I would love. Since he specializes in Tahitians, he might have more stock or be better able to get the exact overtones you are looking for. He has more listed than appears on his website.

Anyways, I will note that I haven't bought from AP for a reason. Though, it is unrelated to their Tahitian stock. I think they take a slightly misleading view on Hanadama akoyas if you look at their grading practices. Most sellers aim to send their best stock that will meet Hanadama qualifications in for certification. AP has a history of sending in the minimally acceptable stock that meets Hanadama cert. It has been suggested that this practice is strategic to erode the brand power of what Hanadama is supposed to mean. Anyways, this practice turned me off enough that I personally decided to avoid buying from them altogether. If you do decide to go with them, read their grading page on Tahitians very carefully just to make sure you are getting the quality at the price you expect.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like the way they use the internet to slam their competition. Their education forum is a sham with only the administrator/owner who poses as the members. I will never do business with them.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1366663126|3432367 said:
I don't like the way they use the internet to slam their competition. Their education forum is a sham with only the administrator/owner who poses as the members. I will never do business with them.
what she said!!!!!

set2374

Rough_Rock
Pattye|1366729728|3432917 said:
Ditto, what both Naria and NacreLover said about AP.

While there are lots of companies that sell pearls online (mikimoto, tiffany, kay jewelers etc.), the wholesale/discount online high end pearl industry is actually dominated by a handful of companies each of roughly equal size and market share. This group is extremely competitive and will take every opportunity to bad mouth one of their competitors on their own forum and in certain unaffiliated general forums like pricescope. Every time American Pearl is mentioned on pricescope or certain other sites, it seems that there are always the same few people that quickly jump into action bad mouth them (as if they monitor these forums as part of their job). Whether these people are compensated for their work on that one company's behalf or just big fans of that one company, I would suggest taking their comments with a heavy pound of salt. Frankly, from a consumer's perspective, this all pointless anyway. I really could care less about what company A says about Company B and C and vice versa. The only thing that matters to me is how each company treats its customers. Are they selling the quality products they advertise? are their prices fair/good? Do they honor their return policies? Do they offer an easy, seemless online shopping experience? Can they be trusted with my credit card/paypal info? In short, the answer to all of these questions with respect to each of the companies the original post is yes across the board.

I have purchased pearls from Pearl Outlet, Pearl Oasis, Pearl Paradise and American Pearl. I have also exchanged emails and received photos of strands from tahitianpearls.biz (although I did not make any purchases from them). Each of these companies has been a pleasure to deal with from a consumer's perspective, regardless of what they might say about their competitors. When it comes to exotic pearls, like tahitians, inventories tend to fluctuate and at some points in time American Pearl will have a wonderful selection, while Pearl Outlet will have next to nothing in stock in the size you are looking for. Its all a matter of price, timing and luck.

In February 2012, I was hunting for a 8-10mm tahitian strand, with matching stud earrings for my mom's 65th birthday. Pearl Oasis was running a valentines day sale (15% off) on all tahitian strands and seemed to have a good selection of reasonably priced strands at the time. I bought two strands off their site, with the intent to keep my favorite and return the other strand. Both strands were just under a $1000 each, which I thought was very reasonable at the time. They were both advertised as 9-11mm, off round, with some rings and very light surface blemishing (AA+ grade by Pearl Oasis). What I received were exactly the two strands pictures on the site, but their off rounds/slightly baroque pearls, were truly off round and you can see it plainly from 4 feet away. Here are the pics:

(I can only find pictures of one of the strands, sorry). The rings were also quite noticeable in person, as was the light pitting. The lustre was good (not great), but no one was going to confuse these with mikimotos. That's not a knock, but these were both sub-$1000 (I think around $750-800??) strands and I got exactly what I paid for, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, compared to most strands out there, these were actually a great value, but I wanted something better. Unfortunately, PO didn't have anything better in stock, unless I was willing to spend another $1000-$1500. I returned both strands and continued the search. The return process was smooth (as were both transactions) and I would absolutely buy from PO again, it just didn't work out that time.

During the search, I also checked out strands from laguna pearls, pearl outlet, pearl paradise and tahitianpearls.biz. Tahitianpearls.biz was very prompt in responding to my emails and quick to send me macro photos of the strands I was interested in. Unfortunately, those strands didn't do it for me, but the experience was very pleasant.

I also exchanged emails/pictures with Pearl Paradise. In December 2011, I bought tahitian cufflinks for myself from Pearl Paradise (christmas present from me to myself). They are gorgeous baroque AAA (PP's grade) and were very clean, with excellent lustre. I had no complaints about them and the price was good. Here is a picture:

Unfortunately, in February 2012, the selection of strands at PP wasn't strong at least for the size, quality and price I was looking for. The customer service was reasonably prompt to respond to questions and provide photos. They didn't have any off rounds in my price range, but did send me photos of three different of baroque and drop strands in the $1300-1800 range. Two strands were ok looking (not much better than the strands I had sent back to PO that cost a few hundred less). The third strand was gorgeous, but at $1800, it was more than I wanted to spend.

At the same time, I was exchange emails with American Pearl. I worked with two sales people there, both of whom were very pleasant. They sent me pictures of five strands that they had just received into inventory. All the strands were gorgeous and much nicer than anything any of the other companies had sent me, but the prices were also much higher than I was willing to spend. I told her, thanks, but no thanks. She told me that they would be getting two more strands into their office the following week that might be in my price range and told me that if she could sell them to me for the price I was looking for, she will send pictures. The next week, I got an email with photos of an off round, multicolored pastel strand, 8.5-10mm, with AP's AAA quality. With the discount (AP's usual 10%) they ended up costing a little under $1100. Honestly, these were stunning and a fabulous value:

I also purchased earrings (can't find pictures at the moment) for $300 to go with them.

In short, if you find a strand you love and you think the price is fair, feel free to buy from any of these vendors. I dont' think you'll be disappointed. Happy pearl hunting!

dsc01186.jpg

dsc01219.jpg

dsc01215.jpg

dsc01180.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Every time American Pearl is mentioned on pricescope or certain other sites, it seems that there are always the same few people that quickly jump into action bad mouth them (as if they monitor these forums as part of their job). Whether these people are compensated for their work on that one company's behalf or just big fans of that one company, I would suggest taking their comments with a heavy pound of salt.

I see when you first posted this , you called Pattye, Naria and I out as shills. Then you changed your post and reworded it to the above text. A change of heart? Nah.

We buy from multiple vendors here on our forum. PP, TPO, Catherine Cardinelli, Pearls of Joy, The Pearl Source, Kojima pearls, Kamoka pearls , Honora, Imperial Deltah, Tahitian pearl biz and many more. You will find reviews good most the time and occasionally bad, but most have liberal return policies.

All you have to do is click on this posters name and read his posts from the past. It appears the pot is calling the kettle.... Black? Since you Set are the only person who has actually been allowed to post on the AP forum, you win that ring at the carnival also.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1367265487|3436857 said:
Every time American Pearl is mentioned on pricescope or certain other sites, it seems that there are always the same few people that quickly jump into action bad mouth them (as if they monitor these forums as part of their job). Whether these people are compensated for their work on that one company's behalf or just big fans of that one company, I would suggest taking their comments with a heavy pound of salt.

I see when you first posted this , you called Pattye, Naria and I out as shills. Then you changed your post and reworded it to the above text. A change of heart? Nah.

We buy from multiple vendors here on our forum. PP, TPO, Catherine Cardinelli, Pearls of Joy, The Pearl Source, Kojima pearls, Kamoka pearls , Honora, Imperial Deltah, Tahitian pearl biz and many more. You will find reviews good most the time and occasionally bad, but most have liberal return policies.

All you have to do is click on this posters name and read his posts from the past. It appears the pot is calling the kettle.... Black? Since you Set are the only person who has actually been allowed to post on the AP forum, you win that ring at the carnival also.

kettle.... Black? what she said!!!!!

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
:love: I never see the black necklace, it's amazing. What's the difference compared to other necklace?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I've looked at many of the companies mentioned and American Pear's range of designs is by far the greatest, for Tahitian rings and earrings (I'm not buying a strand.) They definitely have the designs I like the most.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Set2374 - thanks for such a fulsome reply!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results