shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have siblings married/engaged very close together?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies!

Great news!! SO''s younger sister got engaged this last week!!! I will try to get pics to show you, the ring is gorgeous, a 60 year old antique cushion with a ton of detailed engraving and RBs on the band. It was his great-grandmother''s - how sweet!

We are SUPER excited for them!

Then we got to thinking...we were planning on getting engaged within the next couple of months at the most, and getting married next winter. We''ve been talking about this seriously since this spring.

This means two things: our engagements and our weddings will likely both be within months of each other. Because of both couple''s crazy schedules (school and work timelines) this is unavoidable unless one couple has a two year or longer engagement.

Obviously, neither couple is changing plans, but I was just curious if anyone else has planned a wedding or will when their sibling is doing the same? Did it go ok? Was it more fun/crazy/enxiety-inducing? I love his sis, so it would be fun to plan with her, but I''m just curious!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
my sister got engaged about five (maybe six??) months after us! she was originally planning on having their wedding in june, six months after our december wedding, but they changed it to september to give a little more time in between. it''s only been a couple of months, but so far there haven''t been any problems at all! and it has been fun planning with her
1.gif
. we''re each others maids of honor also. it hasn''t been stressful at all so far, mostly because i got all of our big stuff taken care of long before they got engaged, and there will be almost nine months after ours to focus on hers.

i think that anything within a month of each other would be a bit too crazy, but i think that a two month or more cushion would be just fine between weddings!

i think musey and/or anchor is having a sibling get married close to their own wedding...but i think there were other ''circumstances'' that made it more difficult maybe? i''m not sure...maybe one of them will chime in.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 4:09:47 PM
Author: mimzy
my sister got engaged about five (maybe six??) months after us! she was originally planning on having their wedding in june, six months after our december wedding, but they changed it to september to give a little more time in between. it''s only been a couple of months, but so far there haven''t been any problems at all! and it has been fun planning with her
1.gif
. we''re each others maids of honor also. it hasn''t been stressful at all so far, mostly because i got all of our big stuff taken care of long before they got engaged, and there will be almost nine months after ours to focus on hers.

i think that anything within a month of each other would be a bit too crazy, but i think that a two month or more cushion would be just fine between weddings!

i think musey and/or anchor is having a sibling get married close to their own wedding...but i think there were other ''circumstances'' that made it more difficult maybe? i''m not sure...maybe one of them will chime in.

Cool, sounds like it''s going well for you guys. Ours will be a bit closer, engagements being less than three months apart I''m thinking, and wedding will be about six. They can only get married in July, and us in December. That should be ok - thanks for your reply!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

Not a sibling but my best friend who I consider a sister.

Her wedding was scheduled for November of this year. I had mentioned wanting a December wedding because its cooler and she flips out saying “You can’t get married a month after me!!!”

I told her to calm down, I meant December of next year. LOL

Anyway, she has to push her wedding to 2009 now because she did nothing to plan her wedding for November and as I predicted, everything is booked. Now I’m wondering how we’re going to deal with everything. I am her wedding planner. She sends me a million emails a day asking for ideas and opinions…can you do this? Where can I get that? Does this make sense? Etc. I don’t know how I’m going to handle that PLUS handle my own. Not to mention that she will be my MOH so while I’ll be there for her as her MOH, she most likely wont be able to be there for me until her wedding is over. It’ll be a mess that I’m not really looking forward to if I’m going to be totally honest.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
firery - i would die if my bestf''s wedding was that close to mine. i mean, i love her like a sister but i would probably run her over!

Good luck handling that - hopefully she''ll understand.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 5:26:03 PM
Author: jcarlylew
firery - i would die if my bestf''s wedding was that close to mine. i mean, i love her like a sister but i would probably run her over!

Good luck handling that - hopefully she''ll understand.
I know. I was/am really upset over it. I''ve been bending over backwards to help her out because I figured its her special moment. But the girl was dragging her feet throughout the whole process. I kept dropping little hints that she should be doing more in terms of planning and she never did. So now her wedding will be next year (I''m praying January-February) which will go into my planning time. And I know myself...I''m a planner. I''ll be super busy from the moment he finally proposes to the moment the honeymoon is over. It''ll be stressful to say the least LOL

heather318

Shiny_Rock
I went to a wedding recently where the younger brother got engaged 11 days before the older brother..

Each couple was engaged for a little over a year.. And then the younger brother got married 6 weeks before the older brother..

So both the engagements and weddings were VERY close together. And as far as I know, they didn''t have any problems with it.. The only problems I would see with having 2 weddings really close together is that if people are traveling from far away, they might not want to travel again so soon and may not come to the 2nd wedding.. But a few months apart isn''t really that close in my mind..

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance''s sister got engaged a little over a week after I did in December of 2007. FI and his sister were both very happy for each other and the proximity of the engagements didn''t cause any tension. FI and I had already decided on summer 2008 for our wedding, so FSIL graciously decided to plan her wedding for summer of 2009. I told her I wouldn''t mind if our weddings were close, but her parents encouraged her to delay her wedding until 2009 both to have more time to plan and so they wouldn''t have to deal with two weddings in one year.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister got engaged the day before my wedding and asked if they could make the announcement at our wedding which was great with us. I was so happy that her bf finally proposed LOL!! And, they got married 5 months afterwards. The person I felt sorry for was my poor mom (and dad by extension
9.gif
) because right after they did my wedding they had to do my sister's wedding.
37.gif
But we were all so happy for her that no one minded at all! And it was nice to be able to announce that happy occasion at our wedding. It seemed right as I had introduced them about 10 years prior!
36.gif
She was my maid of honor at my wedding and I was her matron of honor at hers. It was a happy time in our lives. Not too crazy at all. Except for my parents LOL.

Congrats LeeNY and I wish you all the best! This is a super exciting time in your life.
emlove.gif
Enjoy it!!
35.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
FBIL got engaged - June 06
FI and I got engaged - Dec 06
FBIL got married - Sept 07
Brother got engaged - Dec 07
FI and I get married - July 08
Brother gets married - May 09

Not a problem at all, but I would space the weddings out - less stress and expensive for everyone...

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Hi there! Just thought I would chime in as this has just become a situation in my life recently. My FI and I started talking about getting engaged in March of this year and my sister (who is 14 month''s older than me) decided that there was no way that I was going to be married before her, so she asked her BF to marry her and they were engaged in April and I was engaged in May. I am excited for her and she loves her FI very much and they were going to get married anyway, but I just think it happend quicker than it would have if my FI and I hadn''t gotten engaged when we did.

Anyway, to the point of your question. I think it has been very fun to look at dresses together, go see venues together, talk about all of the details together, but there have been a few issues with money. She and her FI both have children from previous relationships and are merging families, so they saw it fit to have a smaller, more intimate ceremony with only family and a few very close friends. Now, my FI and I have no chldren and I want a ceremony and a reception with our families and friends (about 150 people) and am obviously going to cost my parents more money. Well, my sister''s feelings were hurt when my mother told her the amount that she would be giving her vs. the amount that I would be getting. She is getting enough to cover her ceremony and reception and part of their honeymoon, but not enough to cover it all. My sister thought that she should get the same exact amount as I am getting and I can see her point, but my parents have practically supported her children so that she could finish school and better herself and they feel that they have given her more money overall in life than I will be getting for my wedding. So, as long as the money issues don''t creep their way into your situation, I think it is fantastic and that you are going to have a fantastic time with someone who understands why you are stressed about this color vs. that color and why this dress with one more bead than the other is the perfect one.
emteeth.gif
So, enjoy it and just make sure you are able to be open with each other if there is something that comes up between you two!

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
My SO''s brother got engaged May ''07. We figured they would plan a wedding for this year or next, which would leave a year or two between their wedding and ours. Well, they decided on April ''10. We want Sept ''10. This isn''t a problem financially or really for people traveling, since there are very few OOT guests for either of us, but I''m still worried SO''s mother isn''t going to be happy with the situation.

She''s very close to both of her sons (she was a single mom) and has had a hard time letting them go, which is totally understandable, but I feel like I''m being a bad person by wanting a wedding in the same year.

I think it would be fun to go dress shopping together and have someone to share ideas with.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Bridemaid had her wedding June 26th (I was in it)
I had mine July 7th (She was in it)

We were both VERY busy, but it was really fun!

Then my BIL and his wife were married 3 months after DH and I. So, DH''s family was VERY busy!

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
yes this has just happened to me. Bf and i have been together for 4 years. I didn't know exactly when but i knew for certain he was going to propose sometime after April, Sept at the latest. And we have our wedding planned for April '10, silly i know but he won't propose without the ring and its being made now so...

Then my 19 yo younger sister got engaged in early June to her bf of 5mths. It was a big shock to our entire family, especially to me. When i told bf, he was upset because he was planning to proposes 10 days later.

I was upset because i thought that we would have to postpone our engagement because it wouldn't be right etiquette wise. Bf rang parents and explain he was just about to ask me, when they found out this Mum, dad and sister all insisted that we continue on with our plans. But it took a while for me to come round, i didn't want anyone to think that we were competing ect. But i told sis straight away when i talked with her that we were planning april '10 wedding. She and fiancé had made no plans wedding wise just sometime after June '10 (after her 21st bday. So hopefully our weddings won't be too close in time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results