shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a copper sink?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Another question for my bathroom remodel. I''m looking at a getting a darkened copper sink, but I''m wondering if it discolors or greens, like other copper things do? Are they treated with something? Anyone have experience with this?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m under the impression it would patina like other copper things. I''ve seen copper sinks and counters and oooooohhh would I love to have it myself!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Hi Joflier,
I have a hammered copper sink in the wet bar. It has a patina, but it does get water marks of various colors. But I like it. It adds character. It is fromlinkasink. This sink doesn''t get a whole lot of use. If discoloration and water marks bother you, I would only use it in a guest bathroom.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What is a patina? I could probably just google it, but I''m too tired right now.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:09:06 PM
Author: joflier
What is a patina? I could probably just google it, but I'm too tired right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina
ETA sorry, didn't work.
A patina is discoloration or darkening that can happen naturally with age, or there are certain chemicals used to reproduce them.
My sink has some sort of antiqued bronze patina, and the hammering also changes the look and feel of the copper.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:22:24 PM
Author: iluvcarats

Date: 1/8/2010 10:09:06 PM
Author: joflier
What is a patina? I could probably just google it, but I''m too tired right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina
ETA sorry, didn''t work.
A patina is discoloration or darkening that can happen naturally with age, or there are certain chemicals used to reproduce them.
My sink has some sort of antiqued bronze patina, and the hammering also changes the look and feel of the copper.
Ah. Thank you. Well, this would be in my main bath, so maybe not such a good idea.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mercy..those sinks are beautiful! There''s a yellow Smithsonian one and the white Cloissone one that I am in LOVE with. Vessel sinks are so cool! I think the prices would give me a migraine but dang they''re something to look at.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love them, but it is a distinctive look

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I have one, I just posted a picture of my kitchen copper sink in the Kitchen help thread

We have not used it yet, but have heard if any marks are left they correct themselves in a few days.

It is a very dark hammered copper. I love it.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 1:18:12 PM
Author: crystalheart1
I have one, I just posted a picture of my kitchen copper sink in the Kitchen help thread

We have not used it yet, but have heard if any marks are left they correct themselves in a few days.

It is a very dark hammered copper. I love it.
Very nice! You''ll have to let me know how you like it after using it for a bit! That''s exactly what I want -except a topmount for a bathroom.

gardenlover

Rough_Rock
Joflier, we got two bathroom copper sinks more than three years ago from a company called Fine Crafts & Imports and they are still doing very good. No special treatment needed so far, toothpaste does not damage the patina on them, unless it contains whitening chemicals. We just try to wipe them out after use (whenever we remember to do it) and our water is not heavy. When doing research to buy them, we found a very good copper sinks faqs at this company website too, you might want to check it out, it contains a lot of information about copper sinks: Copper Sinks FAQS

Hope this helps.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
DON'T DO IT. We have a copper vessel sink in our only full bath and it always looks DISGUSTING. Water marks, toothpaste spit marks, etc. It's seriously awful. It's not my taste to begin with but I figured I could live with it since a lot of people seem to like it. NOPE.

We plan to replace it with a white porcelain vessel sink as soon as I finish up with what I call Phase 1-painting, hanging up all the artwork, etc. I really want to replace it now but I'm making myself finish up the painting and decorating projects before I start tearing up the bathroom!

gardenlover

Rough_Rock
thing2of2, what is the finish in the copper vessel? Polished copper tends to be like you describe, once it gets a full weathered patina it will be more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results