shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone has ever experiences these 3 Dallas appraiser?

4ever_ring

Rough_Rock
I live in Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area and want to get ering appraises. I found only these 3 appraisers on PS, but no experiences w/ them,and couldn't find any reviews.
I found Mr. Jarvis and Ms. Geolat website to find cost, equipments ,...etc, but nothing about Mr.Pearlman. In Mr.Jarvis's website show the cost($95/30min.) and equipment he use but Ms.Geolat web doesn't show any(not sure I missed something!). They both close on weekend,I will call them on Mon 4/4/2011.

* John Pearlman 5580 LBJ Frwy., Suite 532 Dallas TX US
* Patti J. Geolat 16910 Dallas Parkway, Suite 204 Dallas TX US
* Steven W. Jarvis 5550 L.B.J. Freeway Suite 501 Dallas us

Q: 1. Anyone had ering appraised with them?, If so please share.
2. Do you know how much Ms.Geolat charges for ering appraisal? Will I get the appraisal result report same day?
3. Is Mr. Pearlman still in business? Any contact / website ?
4. Is it unusual that the appraisers can have office in same building?
5. Will the charge be different between appraisal for insurance and personal(matching ags, not overpaid,..) purpose?

Regarding what I found in each one website, I tend to go see Mr.Jarvis b/c of fast result report. But Ms.Geolat sound more professional, may be charge more.

So, please share your experiences and recommendation.

Thanks for any help

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Hi 4ever! I had Steve Jarvis look at a diamond I bought at BlueNile.com. He's cool. I don't even think he charged me.

No, it's not weird for them to be in the same building. There are a lot of jewelry people in that building.

4ever_ring

Rough_Rock
NEU, Thanks a lot for your response!

Does he do blind inspection before show him the lab report?
Would Jeweler Mutual/House Insurance Co. accept his appraisal report?

Thanks again

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I don't remember if I showed him the paperwork before showing him the diamond, but he did nail the price before I even told him (almost down to the dollar amount!). I plan on taking an antique diamond in to show him that has no paperwork whatsoever, just to see what he says about it.

I'm guessing that an insurance company would take is appraisal no problem. He is legit.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not unusual to find appraisers in clusters or at the same address. We don't require lots of space and only certain buildings in any given area have that kind of space offered for rent. It isn't much different than finding doctors or dentists located in one cluster or in a a building that just seems to meet their unique needs better than what else is surrounding them. As far as comparing one appraiser to another, that is an entirely more complex matter. Some of the very best appraisers choose not to charge the higherst fees and some of the worst charge a lot for their work. The reverse also happens. Those appraisers who are "average" charge what they believe the market will bear in their region, but you can't judge the quality of an appraiser's work by their fee basis.

I suggest you look into their credentials. What appraisal organizations are they members of? What do they list as their educational background in their appraisal specialty? Do they have a CV, a resume', on-line for you to review and compare to other appraisers? What tools do they offer to use in the analysis of your item? Can you watch and wait or must you leave the item for a day or more?

All of these things, and more, are part of how to choose.
Below is a list of National Association of Jewelry appraisers located in Dallas. Some may have retail store operations and some may prove to be independent appraisers. Patti Geolat is definitely a well respected member of the appraisal community even though I don't find her name as a member of NAJA.....

Michelle Bland GG

Jill C. Burgum, GG

Elliott Cumonow GG

David D. Heffley, GG

Jerry D. Forrest GG

Steven W. Jarvis GG

Shawn Anne Shannon, GJG

Howard L. Traxler GG
Certified Member

Beti Waits AJP

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results