shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone from around LA area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

My husband, kids and I are going to California toward the end of August. We decided to fly into LA and then rent a car and spend a few days in LA and then head down and spend some time in San Diego.

We''re planning to go to Disney Land one of the days while in LA (which I cannot believe the price of. It''s going to cost us over $250 for just admission & parking!!! - not to mention food - and drinks! Hopefully there is a beer garden there as I''m going to need it!
3.gif
) and then also a day hanging out around LA. I''m curious about visiting Hollywood. Is anyone familiar with the area and have any suggestions of a few fun places to visit which would also be appropriate for two boys (ages 5 & 6)?

We''re going for a whopping eight days. This is going to be the ultimate test of my husband''s and my endurance as is it will be for my boys, too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up in LA. I think San Diego is much nicer, and you have more attractions, though after Disney you might be theme parked out. Hollywood is honestly pretty grubby, there are the stars, scattered all over different streets, and Graumans, but I am not sure if your kids are going to appreciate those things and the area, at least when I was there, was NOT nice for the most part. I would not take kids around there. There is the Hollywood Bowl and Universal, again, after Disney you might want to skip another theme park. Griffith Park and the observatory used to be cool, not sure what is open to the public and if it is a safe area. La Brea Tar Pits on Wilshire near LACMA was always a big hit when I was a kid. Also, the Descanso gardens in Pasadena or La Canada, somewhere around there. Your boys are on the younger end, and may not be thrilled with museums and gardens...just not sure what their patience level is and what interests them...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hollywood is pretty grubby, but it has cleaned up quite a bit since they built the Kodak Theater (home of the Oscars) and the surrounding shopping complex where you can get a good look at the Hollywood sign. Your kids may like it because there are always "characters" outside the theater to take pictures with (they expect a tip). You can find parking on the side streets which are metered, and on Sundays it''s usually free. I wouldn''t park in any paid lots, if there are any.

I always take people to Rodeo Drive because they want to see it, but it would probably hold zero interest for your kids.

Personally, I am a fan of our south bay beaches. Hermosa Beach would be a great place for the kids to play, and there is a pedestrian area where you can pick up reasonably priced food and ice cream...which you may appreciate in August! Parking is reasonable in the parking structure adjacent to the Coffee Bean and Tea leaf, and if you are here on a weekday, parking is not hard. This area is very clean and very safe...not to mention you will be getting away from the heat...it rarely gets over 85 degrees in Hermosa Beach...and if it''s hotter than that, you can bet you want avoid anywhere else!

Santa Monica and Venice Beaches are a big tourist draw, but personally, I''m not a fan.

I didn''t really appreciate Disneyland until I went there with kids. There''s just so much for them, and it''s a blast to watch them in wonderment of everything. I paid for TGuy''s family to go (it was about $450 bucks just for entrance fees for us) and it was worth it. Bring some of your own snacks to save money. I honestly didn''t find the food prices in the park unreasonable, considering it IS Disney, but it wasn''t cheap either.

There is also the aquarium in Long Beach if that floats your boat.

The San Diego Zoo is a must see...although in August I would think that it would be quite crowded, stinky and hot. We went in the winter and it was awesome. Go when it opens when most of the animals are more active. Have fun!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
RE: Hollywood and your boys... they might enjoy the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum (a chain, but still fun!) and Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. If you want to see that stuff and the more "famous" stuff (walk of fame, chinese theatre) I suggest just parking at Hollywood and Highland (a shopping/eating complex built up around the Chinese and Kodak Theatres) because it's only $2. All the fun Hollywood-y stuff is within a block of that complex
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, thanks. Maybe we''ll skip Hollywood and do a beach instead. I kind of want to do a "me" thing, but it''s difficult keeping my kids AND husband entertained, and if Hollywood is run down, it''d be a bummer to spend one of our days being miserable. I forgot about the SD Zoo. We''re planning to do Sea World, so I guess it''ll be one or the other.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have never been to Hollywood but when I was working I had a business trip to San Diego. I stayed a few extra days and really enjoyed it. Be sure to go to the San Diego Zoo. And I think Seaworld is there too? San Diego is so pretty. And LaJolla is not far away and that is such a pretty area too. More adult but worth an afternoon to see it if you can.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hollywood is not so children appropriate at night. i''m sick of seeing 12 yo hipster children smoking. it''ll make them look 10 years older! i''d definitely stick to the most touristy spots

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I used to live in San Diego and it was just the most beautiful city ever! So much to do and see. It''s been 20 years since I lived there though, so I''m sure the city has changed somewhat although I''m sure it''s still as gorgeous as ever. I''ll take a looksee this weekend - we''re running the San Diego 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I second some of the comments about LA... kindof scary - I''ve lived in lots of big cities (Chicago, Portland, Phoenix, Las Vegas, SD) and visited many others (Boston, Seattle, Houston, NY, London, Paris, Dublin..) and seriously of ALL the places I''ve felt most uncomfortable in LA. Plus I hate, hate, hate driving there. IMHO, I''d take a trip to Disney Land (not Labor Day weekend though... if I''m not mistaken, there''s a 1/2 marathon there that weekend), then head south to San Diego (there''s Lego Land in Carlsbad for the kiddies and the Del Mar Horse races going on in addition to gorgeous beaches and a million other things to do). Alternately, you could head north to Ventura and Santa Barbara area for another option. Right now, I live 120 miles north of LA, and its just NOT a place I ever want to go. That said, I''ve sucked it up to visit the diamond district down there a few times.
3.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
This doesn''t really answer your question, but, there is so much to do in Orange County for moms, dads and kids. Here are a few ideas other that D-Land:

Bowers Museum in Santa Ana - For you and the kids! They have a gem exhibit right now. I keep meaning to get to it...

Discovery Science Museum also in Santa Ana - I haven''t been here for a few years, but, I''ve heard that it has many new exhibits. They used to have an earthquake simulator that my boys loved.

If you decide to stay in LA I second DF''s advice to go to the LACMA and La Brea Tar Pits. If your DH is into cars here''s a great museum Peterson Automotive Museum The boys would probably love it, too. The batmobile used to be there...I''m not sure if it still is. Maybe you could head to the spa( Burke Williams has a West Hollywood location)or Rodeo drive while dad and boys have testosterone time
28.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 12:35:32 PM
Author: lizardofaz
Hello! I used to live in San Diego and it was just the most beautiful city ever! So much to do and see. It''s been 20 years since I lived there though, so I''m sure the city has changed somewhat although I''m sure it''s still as gorgeous as ever. I''ll take a looksee this weekend - we''re running the San Diego 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I second some of the comments about LA... kindof scary - I''ve lived in lots of big cities (Chicago, Portland, Phoenix, Las Vegas, SD) and visited many others (Boston, Seattle, Houston, NY, London, Paris, Dublin..) and seriously of ALL the places I''ve felt most uncomfortable in LA. Plus I hate, hate, hate driving there. IMHO, I''d take a trip to Disney Land (not Labor Day weekend though... if I''m not mistaken, there''s a 1/2 marathon there that weekend), then head south to San Diego (there''s Lego Land in Carlsbad for the kiddies and the Del Mar Horse races going on in addition to gorgeous beaches and a million other things to do). Alternately, you could head north to Ventura and Santa Barbara area for another option. Right now, I live 120 miles north of LA, and its just NOT a place I ever want to go. That said, I''ve sucked it up to visit the diamond district down there a few times.
3.gif
Thanks for the warnings. After rereading this thread, I talked to my husband again (who said he wanted to see around that area no matter what) and said that we should just go to Disneyland and then head on south to San Diego, and he agreed. Luckily, I hadn''t booked a hotel room yet.

The only big cities we routinely go to are Seattle (where I live by) and Vancouver, BC, so we''re kind of sheltered. The scariest I''ve seen is China Town in Vancouver!

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Hi, MC, I don''t think you''ll miss much by bypassing LA.... No offense to the people who live there, but it''s one of the only places I''ve ever been that I''ve said that I could NEVER live there. I just found out that my nephew is planning to attend film school at UCLA and I''m seriously worried about him. He''s from a very sheltered background and I keep thinking about him straying into the ''hood''... maybe I''m over-reacting, but....

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Just don''t head down on a Saturday!!! Last Saturday it took me 2 hrs and 15 min to get from San Clemente to Del Mar!!! I-5 can be a disaster on weekends.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 11:12:32 PM
Hi, MC, I don''t think you''ll miss much by bypassing LA.... No offense to the people who live there, but it''s one of the only places I''ve ever been that I''ve said that I could NEVER live there. I just found out that my nephew is planning to attend film school at UCLA and I''m seriously worried about him. He''s from a very sheltered background and I keep thinking about him straying into the ''hood''... maybe I''m over-reacting, but....
Well...UCLA is surrounded by Brentwood, Westwood, and Bel Air, which are some of the most affluent neighborhoods in the United States....so if he lives anywhere near UCLA you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Unless he is on location in south central at night he''ll be fine. The most common crimes in my neighborhood are car vandalism, petty theft, tagging, etc. They make a neighborhood look ugly, but nothing to worry about in terms of safety.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I just found out that my nephew is planning to attend film school at UCLA and I''m seriously worried about him. He''s from a very sheltered background and I keep thinking about him straying into the ''hood''... maybe I''m over-reacting, but....

I live somewhat near UCLA. It''s very safe here. There are no ''hoods'' in this area. You have nothing to worry about.

We''ve walked everywhere at night around here and never, ever had a problem.

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
20.gif

Date: 8/15/2007 12:25:27 AM
Author: KittenKat

I just found out that my nephew is planning to attend film school at UCLA and I''m seriously worried about him. He''s from a very sheltered background and I keep thinking about him straying into the ''hood''... maybe I''m over-reacting, but....

I live somewhat near UCLA. It''s very safe here. There are no ''hoods'' in this area. You have nothing to worry about.

Hi, thanks for putting my mind at ease about the UCLA area. I didn''t mean to suggest that all of LA is scary and bad.... hope I didn''t offend anyone!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Hehe. I am certainly not offended :)

There are certainly parts of LA I stay far, far away from.

It's not hard to be safe here, especially on the West Side. The sketchy parts are quite a distance from here.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 11:50:21 PM
Author: Miranda
Just don''t head down on a Saturday!!! Last Saturday it took me 2 hrs and 15 min to get from San Clemente to Del Mar!!! I-5 can be a disaster on weekends.
Eh, okay! I''m going to plan out all our details on Fri while my kids are in preschool, and am thinking of heading down the coast. I still need to check the maps.

I told my husband I want to go shopping on Rodeo Drive and he said okay, but now I''m not sure if it''s worth it since he''ll be around and I won''t be able to buy anything fun with him watching.
3.gif
lol

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 11:02:57 AM

It's not hard to be safe here, especially on the West Side. The sketchy parts are quite a distance from here.
I second this. With the terrible traffic here in LA, the frustrating commute to get to the Westside from the sketchy part of town is a bigger crime-of-opportunity deterent than any police force.
28.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 8:48:25 AM
20.gif

Hi, thanks for putting my mind at ease about the UCLA area. I didn''t mean to suggest that all of LA is scary and bad.... hope I didn''t offend anyone!
Naw, I''m not offended. I just wanted to clear up any concerns about the ucla area. The USC area is more unsafe and I''d worry more if he was there instead.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MC,

I currently live in LA, and it is a very hard town to get a grasp of unless you''ve been here a while. It''s a town where you can do nearly any activity you''ve ever thought of (you can learn the flying trapeze, ski, buy the finest couture, learn to bellydance, hear up and coming bands, windsailboard, etc.) but the sprawl of it all can be pretty isolating if you let it.

It would help to know a bit more about your kids interests to come up with more specific ideas since 6 year olds can be a very diverse group, but I can suggest a few things in various parts of LA.

1. Kidspace Children''s Museum in Pasadena. http://www.pasadenacal.com/museums_attractions/kidspace_museum.htm It''s near the greens of the Rose Bowl, and Colorado Boulevard (path of the famous New Years Rose Parade) has lots of shops, restaurants, and activity afterwards.

2. Griffith Park-- within the sprawl of Griffith Park is the LA Zoo, an old carousel, a train, an equestrian center, and lots of picnic areas for running. My nephews love ''em all. (links here: http://www.laokay.com/KidStuff.htm ) If they are really outdoorsy/athletic, you could even hike up to the Hollywood sign one day.

3. Santa Monica Pier/Third Street Promenade. The Promenade is a very popular walking/shopping area with street performers, water fountains shaped like dinosaur topiaries, and a variety of shops; two blocks away is the famous Santa Monica pier, which has rides and games including a ferris wheel, rollercoaster, bumper cars, and carnival-style games where the wee ones can win a nice memento of their trip. (http://www.santamonicapier.org/ ; click "Pier Directory")

As for Hollywood itself, Diamondfan''s right that it was DEFINITELY sketchy back in the 70s/80s/90s, but the intervening years of land appreciation has brought an influx of investor money (including plans to build both Ritz Carlton and W towers near that famous intersection) that''s definitely helped clean up the area a bit. But if I were there with kids, I would make sure to keep the kids close; I mean, sure the evening hookers have been replaced with the evening smoking Emo teens from the suburbs with funny hairstyles and that''s an improvement, but still not your classic hangout for the milk-drinkin'' set.
2.gif
Since it sounds like your husband really wants to go (and it is fun in its touristy way to see the footprints outside of grauman''s, and... there''s a LV shop inside the neighboring Hollywood and Highland complex for you, shhhh), you should. If you want to follow it with a place more familiar to the kids, it''s a great place to take in a movie. I would check to see what''s playing at Grauman''s Chinese Theater (http://www.manntheatres.com/chinese/), as well as the Disney-owned El Capitan Theatre across the street (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/), or even the renovated Cineramadome multiplex down the street (http://www.arclightcinemas.com/(yw1uiz2jmn2fo3r0aou3somn)/Arclight/ArclightHome.aspx). It''s entertainment that will be familiar, and if you''re running them so ragged that they''re exhausted, they might even nap a bit once the lights go down.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I think a few other people have suggested postponing the beach thing until you''re further south, and I agree. Newport Beach has many excellent beaches, and there are many many more as you go further south in both OC and SD. If you have any Qs, don''t hesitate to ask!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

I just found out that my nephew is planning to attend film school at UCLA and I'm seriously worried about him. He's from a very sheltered background and I keep thinking about him straying into the 'hood'... maybe I'm over-reacting, but....
I live somewhat near UCLA. It's very safe here. There are no 'hoods' in this area. You have nothing to worry about.

We've walked everywhere at night around here and never, ever had a problem.
Hi, thanks for putting my mind at ease about the UCLA area. I didn't mean to suggest that all of LA is scary and bad.... hope I didn't offend anyone!
I was just about to make the same distinction. USC is my alma mater. After living for 3.5 years by the school I was quite relieved to move away. I was lucky enough never to be the victim of a violent crime...
20.gif

Anyway, we always used to gripe about "lucky UCLA kids in Beverly Hills" while we were stuck in the ghett-O.

Don't worry about him for a single SECOND over by UCLA!
3.gif

LAPD crime maps from the two areas (and that's VERY little crime compared to normal, since USC's out of session):

uscvucla.jpg

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reassurance!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock

Kittencat we are staying 4 nights in Hollywood (we are from Australia) with my DH and 15 year old . I know its cheesy in Hollywood (we stayed there last year) but she loves it and we just want to shop go to Venice Beach and Universal. DH wants to see a Dodgers game but I am a little worried about getting there and choosing the right seats etc in the stadium. We won't be driving and there is no way my cautious husband will catch a bus so I guess its taxis or maybe an estate car but I'm still a little worried. Any info would be great!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 7:44:52 PM
Author: katebar

It''s not hard to be safe here, especially on the West Side. The sketchy parts are quite a distance from here.
Kittencat we are staying 4 nights in Hollywood (we are from Australia) with my DH and 15 year old . I know its cheesy in Hollywood (we stayed there last year) but she loves it and we just want to shop go to Venice Beach and Universal. DH wants to see a Dodgers game but I am a little worried about getting there and choosing the right seats etc in the stadium. We won''t be driving and there is no way my cautious husband will catch a bus so I guess its taxis or maybe an estate car but I''m still a little worried. Any info would be great!

Yeah, sadly... the public transportation here leaves A LOT to be desired. I grew up in LA, and I have never been on the bus.

Taxis are probably your best bet to travel in that general area. (Although, Venice is far pretty from Hollywood with traffic and the taxi ride would be $$$.) Maybe your hotel will have info on shuttles of some sort? :)

I do not know much about Dodger games. But I know many people who go, and have fun no matter where they are sitting.

Since you''re in Hollywood, you can certainly go to Melrose, Robertson, Universal. There are lots of hip, fun restaurants out there. Hmm... If I think of more fun places I''ll let you know.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 2:47:30 PM

It''s not hard to be safe here, especially on the West Side. The sketchy parts are quite a distance from here.
Kittencat we are staying 4 nights in Hollywood (we are from Australia) with my DH and 15 year old . I know its cheesy in Hollywood (we stayed there last year) but she loves it and we just want to shop go to Venice Beach and Universal. DH wants to see a Dodgers game but I am a little worried about getting there and choosing the right seats etc in the stadium. We won''t be driving and there is no way my cautious husband will catch a bus so I guess its taxis or maybe an estate car but I''m still a little worried. Any info would be great!

Yeah, sadly... the public transportation here leaves A LOT to be desired. I grew up in LA, and I have never been on the bus.

Taxis are probably your best bet to travel in that general area. (Although, Venice is far pretty from Hollywood with traffic and the taxi ride would be $$$.) Maybe your hotel will have info on shuttles of some sort? :)

I do not know much about Dodger games. But I know many people who go, and have fun no matter where they are sitting.

Since you''re in Hollywood, you can certainly go to Melrose, Robertson, Universal. There are lots of hip, fun restaurants out there. Hmm... If I think of more fun places I''ll let you know.
I take the bus in LA every day. It''s very slow, but it does get you where you need to go. The worst part is that with the traffic the bus schedules are basically useless. You just have to go to the bus stop and relax and read or something until it comes. From the hollywood area there are a ton of connecting buses to get you where you need to go. Here''s a trip planner that is sometimes helpful to me: http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Katebar-- I''ve attended about a dozen Dodger games in the last few years (FH is a sports nut) and a number when I was a little kid, and IMO there really isn''t a bad seat in the house. Obviously, the seats get better as they become more expensive, but even the ones in the upper deck reserve give an excellent view of the action. In the closer seats, you see the players'' facial expressions; in the higher seats you get a birds'' eye view of the action. (I personally avoid the bleachers in the outfield, in which fans who hope to catch a homerun sit, because you can''t see the game very well.)

Unfortunately, Dodger Stadium is notorious for not having any great public transportation options. If you have/rent a car, it''s very easy to get to from either the 5 or 110 freeways. If not, arranging a private car through your hotel or calling a cab really are your only options.

If you go, the most famous food is obviously the Dodger Dog; the best food, IMO, are the Gordon Biersch Garlic Fries.
3.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 7:13:41 PM
Author: musey

I just found out that my nephew is planning to attend film school at UCLA and I'm seriously worried about him. He's from a very sheltered background and I keep thinking about him straying into the 'hood'... maybe I'm over-reacting, but....

I live somewhat near UCLA. It's very safe here. There are no 'hoods' in this area. You have nothing to worry about.

We've walked everywhere at night around here and never, ever had a problem.

Hi, thanks for putting my mind at ease about the UCLA area. I didn't mean to suggest that all of LA is scary and bad.... hope I didn't offend anyone!

I was just about to make the same distinction. USC is my alma mater. After living for 3.5 years by the school I was quite relieved to move away. I was lucky enough never to be the victim of a violent crime...
20.gif

Anyway, we always used to gripe about 'lucky UCLA kids in Beverly Hills' while we were stuck in the ghett-O.

Don't worry about him for a single SECOND over by UCLA!
3.gif

LAPD crime maps from the two areas (and that's VERY little crime compared to normal, since USC's out of session):

hehe... I'm from LA and thought the same thing. you really shouldn't be worried if he's going to UCLA, it's USC you ought to worry about!! haha!!! Tell him to eat those cookies... man I forget the name of the joint, but everyone at UCLA knows it...

MC - I think San Diego would be a fun roadtrip. Don't forget LEgoland, it's great for kids your age, I think. In San Diego, you can do the zoo, and go to the park and everything, on weekends they always have outdoor events, esp in summer. Gaslamp/Gaslight (Iforget what it's called exactly) is where you wanna go for dinner and all that.

I think LA has it's fun areas too. How come no one mentioned the GETTY MUSEUM?!!!! THat is one of my fav spots in LA. Although I'm not sure the most fun place for the kids. Some folks mentioned Griffith Park, I recommend the Observatory. THey just reopened recently and it's quite beautiful up there, and there's a bunch of stuff for kids. Near USC is the IMAX and science museum, that's usually fun for the kids too, and the brea tar pits that someone else mentioned. For shopping you can't beat Rodeo; Melrose has some great trendy smaller shops that are more fun than the big fashion houses on Rodeo, IMO... and 3rd street in Santa Monica is a great spot if you want to shop and have kids, there's street performers and a fun outdoorsy atmosphere, and it's close to the beach too. Also old town Pasadena has some nice things to see, and good food. Highly recommend the beaches in LA and SD. Hermosa and Manhattan are my favs. And venice if you want the more 'alternative' lifestyle.

Also MC - do you know anyone who lives in LA? THey can usually purchase the 'locals' price for Dland for cheaper. That and you can try craigslist and other things like that for discounted stuff. Sometimes AAA or other orgs have some small discounts that might help. That and I'm not sure what days you plan to go to Dland but try to go on a MOnday or during the week. It's going ot be pretty nutty there anyway bc it's summer, but the lines will be atrocious if you go on a weekend.

Have a great trip!!!

ETA: if you can score tix to the hollywood bowl, and get there by bus, it's a really great experience, and usually they have shows that are fun for the kids, with fireworks, etc... it's a pain to get up there by car (hence the bus rec) but just a totally LA thing to do.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 6:55:49 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Hi Katebar-- I''ve attended about a dozen Dodger games in the last few years (FH is a sports nut) and a number when I was a little kid, and IMO there really isn''t a bad seat in the house. Obviously, the seats get better as they become more expensive, but even the ones in the upper deck reserve give an excellent view of the action. In the closer seats, you see the players'' facial expressions; in the higher seats you get a birds'' eye view of the action. (I personally avoid the bleachers in the outfield, in which fans who hope to catch a homerun sit, because you can''t see the game very well.)

Unfortunately, Dodger Stadium is notorious for not having any great public transportation options. If you have/rent a car, it''s very easy to get to from either the 5 or 110 freeways. If not, arranging a private car through your hotel or calling a cab really are your only options.

If you go, the most famous food is obviously the Dodger Dog; the best food, IMO, are the Gordon Biersch Garlic Fries.
3.gif
Oh this is great thanks fleur-de-lis
35.gif
. My Dh is desperate to see a baseball game he watches all the baseball and ice hockey and basket ball online LOL. He prefers the to our sports. Well that not really true but he get sport 24/7 taht to the WWW. He really wants DD and me to go and of course we will but my 15 year old a little hesitant but the garlic fries just my be the kicker!
Thanks kcoursolle and KittenKat . We caught the bus last time and it really did take forever so with my husband who wants to go when he wants to go I don''t think its and option.
For shopping I think we might use the company Shoppershuttle they have good reviews so we can get down to Santa Monica with them I think. Taxis as you say is also an option.
Can''t wait
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 8:15:42 PM
Author: flopkins

MC - I think San Diego would be a fun roadtrip. Don''t forget LEgoland, it''s great for kids your age, I think. In San Diego, you can do the zoo, and go to the park and everything, on weekends they always have outdoor events, esp in summer. Gaslamp/Gaslight (Iforget what it''s called exactly) is where you wanna go for dinner and all that.
flopkins - We''re definetly doing Legoland. That was THE FIRST destination on my husband''s itinerary!!! Him and our boys are obsessed with leogs. We literally have our own lego land here with thousands of pieces. It''s insane.

Thanks for all the additional ideas. I''m a bit overwhelmed now.
9.gif
We''re wondering if 8 days is too much now, but when we tried to change our flight it was going to cost $200, so we''ve decided to keep our fingers crossed that we hold out that long.

Laundry pile is going to be scary when I get home.
39.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 8:15:42 PM
Author: flopkins
Date: 8/15/2007 7:13:41 PM
Author: musey

20.gif

Anyway, we always used to gripe about ''lucky UCLA kids in Beverly Hills'' while we were stuck in the ghett-O.

Don''t worry about him for a single SECOND over by UCLA!
3.gif
hehe... I''m from LA and thought the same thing. you really shouldn''t be worried if he''s going to UCLA, it''s USC you ought to worry about!! haha!!! Tell him to eat those cookies... man I forget the name of the joint, but everyone at UCLA knows it...
Diddy Riese
31.gif
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results