shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever had a TEE?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Even though all of my tests for the blue lips and fingernails came back normal (better than normal actually) my doctor suspects that I may have an atrial septal defect (ASD). He''s recommending a transesophageal echo and setting up an appointment for me with a cardiologist. I''m waiting for the office to call me back and let me know when my appointment is, but I''m kind of freaking out. I''ve read up on the procedure and I know that I''ll be sedated, but just the thought of getting the IV is enough to make my anxiety rise. DH keeps assuring me that everything''s fine and that he''ll be there with me the whole time. Will they let him do that? Do you think there''s any chance they''ll be able to give me something before I even get to the test? A valium or something? I keep thinking about stories of people being completely aware of what''s going on when they''re under sedation and I think if that happened to me I''d have a full blown panic attack which can''t be safe if you have a transducer in your esophagus.

39.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Robbie, ASK for the valium. I wouldn''t assume that they''d offer you one. Good luck! I am sure it will be fine, though!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry your so nervous! I would reccommned that you discuss your concerns with your doctor.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a VSD (ventricular septal defect) and it hasn''t caused me any problems. I just had to take antibiotics before dental work and have to see a cardiologist every couple years to get a little check-up. No biggy!

I hope your doctor can offer you some help with your concerns!

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
Definitely ask for the valium! I think people routinely get them before procedures because I''ve seen a lot of prescriptions come through the pharmacy for just one single pill, but I don''t think it''s something you''ll need to let them know about before hand since it will likely need filled at your pharmacy.

Good luck!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, no one called me back and apparently they closed 40 minutes ago. This is not my week
8.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
geez! I've been reading the posts b/c I was curious to know what happened...well, it will all work out fine....don't worry for nothing!

as for the IV, come on girl, it's like giving blood...a lot of people I know have been having big operations lately and getting chemo, etc...talk about poking and prodding...it's just a tiny iv and you'll wak up sooooo relaxed!!!! take a valium and you'll be in heaven! I have had a few procedures with the iv sedation and it's awesome actually!

best of luck...

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I know most people aren''t bothered nearly this much by needles and IVs, but the thought of needles and veins literally makes me start feeling nauseas and dizzy. I can''t give blood. Just having blood taken causes way too much anxiety. By the time they''re done filling up their 2 little vials it''s all I can do to sit still and not be outwardly freaking out. I know it''s worrying for nothing, but I can''t help it. It''s that darn anxiety disorder. Hopefully DH will be allowed to be with me at least while they''re doing the IV so he can help me remember all those useful tips the therapist I saw last summer gave me for dealing with an anxiety attack.

I spoke to the doctor''s office today and he''s personally going to call the cardiologist to tell him what''s been going on and I should know by the end of the day when my appointment is.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''m with you Robbie. I gave one vile of blood a couple of months ago and my anxiety whipped through like a tornado! I hope your doctor will give you some valium or a xanax or something.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Ok, now I'm really annoyed. My family doctor's office called me back around noon to let me know that my doctor had spoken to the cardiologist and filled him in on what's been happening and I could now call him and schedule my own appointment. Uh...ok...they were supposed to schedule the appointment. I could've called myself yesterday and had the doctor fill the cardiologist in after the fact had I known that's what they were going to do.

My doctor told me he wanted to get me in to see the cardiologist ASAP and have the test results of the TEE by the end of the week. Well, the earliest the cardiologist could get me in is the 30th. That's 2.5 weeks! And it's just for a regular office visit. No test. So I'll probably have to wait a while after that visit to even schedule the test.

I called my family doctor back to ask if I need to avoid alcohol while I'm waiting to find out what's wrong (I have sabine's bachelorette party this weekend) and they closed at 11! Are you freaking kidding me?!

I'm not in a good mood right now.
29.gif

ETA: The cardiologist my family doctor spoke to isn't even the one I'll be seeing. Seriously, what was the point of him even calling?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oh, i think it's time for the little blue magic pill...ahhhhh. such sweetness in a baby blue bit of heaven AKA XANAX LOL....I gotta say, the stuff rules...I've been known to take a nibble from time to time and it's really awesome stuff...I think it would do you some good to start them...best of luck! be brave!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I called my family doctor''s office this morning and told them they either need to get my cardiologist appointment moved up or give me a prescription for something to help me calm down since I''m not allowed to exercise right now and that''s how I''ve been controlling my anxiety.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Robbie, please relax!!!! The TEE is nothing, a piece of cake. You''ll sleep right through it and the only thing you''ll have is some mild throat irritation afterwards. The worst thing about a TEE is the yucky tasting spray they squirt in your throat. That''s some nasty stuff! The TEE is how they found the hole in my heart [PFO] and my ASA. I''m all fixed up now and eternally grateful that the TEE was done to find my issues. I know how frightening this all is, but don''t worry about the test itself. I hope you have a positive outcome!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a little bizarre that the doctor wanted a rushed test and then had YOU call for the appointment! I''d call them back and tell them they have to make it! They obviously did not schedule you for the right thing!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Catmom. Don''t you have to be awake to swallow the transducer? Unfortunately, for me relaxing right now is a bit more difficult than it is for a lot of people due to having generalized anxiety and the fact that my way of controlling it (exercise) has been taken away. The family doctor called in an ativan prescription this morning so hopefully that will help.

Diamondseeker, when I called this morning they said they can''t do anything to move up the appointment since it''s not their office. My understanding is that the family doctor is unable to order the TEE, it has to come from the cardiologist and I guess the cardiologist wants to do a regular exam before doing that. I''m guessing that what''s going on is concerning my doctor more because he probably deals with less serious issues more often so it''s more of a concern to him, whereas the cardiologist regularly deals with things that need much more immediate attention so it''s less concerning to him. From what the family doctor said, I don''t think it''s a problem medically to wait 2.5 weeks for the appointment. It''s just a problem for my anxiety, but hopefully the ativan will take care of that.

I keep flip flopping back and forth between being sure that when I go to see the cardiologist he''ll tell me it''s nothing, that my family doctor was overreacting and he won''t even want to do the test to having anxiety attacks that it''ll end up being an ASD or something worse.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2008 10:40:39 AM
Author: robbie3982
Thanks, Catmom. Don''t you have to be awake to swallow the transducer? Unfortunately, for me relaxing right now is a bit more difficult than it is for a lot of people due to having generalized anxiety and the fact that my way of controlling it (exercise) has been taken away. The family doctor called in an ativan prescription this morning so hopefully that will help.

Diamondseeker, when I called this morning they said they can''t do anything to move up the appointment since it''s not their office. My understanding is that the family doctor is unable to order the TEE, it has to come from the cardiologist and I guess the cardiologist wants to do a regular exam before doing that. I''m guessing that what''s going on is concerning my doctor more because he probably deals with less serious issues more often so it''s more of a concern to him, whereas the cardiologist regularly deals with things that need much more immediate attention so it''s less concerning to him. From what the family doctor said, I don''t think it''s a problem medically to wait 2.5 weeks for the appointment. It''s just a problem for my anxiety, but hopefully the ativan will take care of that.

I keep flip flopping back and forth between being sure that when I go to see the cardiologist he''ll tell me it''s nothing, that my family doctor was overreacting and he won''t even want to do the test to having anxiety attacks that it''ll end up being an ASD or something worse.
Robbie, I sincerely hope that the ativan works for you!. I was not awake when they put the transducer down. Last I remember was being told "ok, here comes the happy juice" and the next thing I knew I was awake and being told it was over. The test in and of itself is a piece of cake. I know it''s extremely difficult for you but please try to not stress too much until you see the cardiologist, have the test and get the results. And know that in the chance that you do have an ASD or something, it can be fixed! I''m living proof of that.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
ok, you''ve got the ativan you can take before you go for the procedure. if part of your anxiety is pain-related, you can ask your doctor to call in a script for emla cream. you can put it on a couple of sites (where you see the best veins) an hour before the appointment. that should definitely make things a little easier. i love that stuff.

every center has different policies, but generally your husband would be allowed to be with you for the iv. he wouln''t be allowed in the procedure room. whether he''d be allowed in recovery definitely varies. once your procedure is scheduled, i''d call and ask the center these specific questions. that way you''ll know exactly what to expect.

you do not need to be awake for any part of the tee. it is easier for everyone (including the cardiologist doing the procedure) if you''re completely awake. you shouldn''t remember a thing.

the no exercise thing sounds really fishy to me. asd is not at all a contraindication to exercise. neither is a vsd or pfo. they do need to be repaired (in your age group), but you activity should not be limited. sounds like your md is being overly cautious. perhaps you should revisit with him/her about the exercise thing. it doesn''t make sense.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2008 2:25:45 PM
Author: novia
ok, you''ve got the ativan you can take before you go for the procedure. if part of your anxiety is pain-related, you can ask your doctor to call in a script for emla cream. you can put it on a couple of sites (where you see the best veins) an hour before the appointment. that should definitely make things a little easier. i love that stuff.

every center has different policies, but generally your husband would be allowed to be with you for the iv. he wouln''t be allowed in the procedure room. whether he''d be allowed in recovery definitely varies. once your procedure is scheduled, i''d call and ask the center these specific questions. that way you''ll know exactly what to expect.

you do not need to be awake for any part of the tee. it is easier for everyone (including the cardiologist doing the procedure) if you''re completely awake. you shouldn''t remember a thing.

the no exercise thing sounds really fishy to me. asd is not at all a contraindication to exercise. neither is a vsd or pfo. they do need to be repaired (in your age group), but you activity should not be limited. sounds like your md is being overly cautious. perhaps you should revisit with him/her about the exercise thing. it doesn''t make sense.
Novia, that''s what Sabine''s FI said about the no exercise too. I asked the doctor about if it would be ok if I just kept my heart rate below a certain level (I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise) or just do fewer reps with less weight. I definitely stressed how important exercise is to my lifestyle and he said no, absolutely no exercise beyond regular every day stuff along the lines of walking from the car to my office. It really sucks because after just one week of no exercise I can see the difference in my body and I still have 2 more weeks before my appointment.

I''m notoriously bad about following doctors recommendations (definitely didn''t follow his no drinking rule this weekend...), but he was so adamant about not exercising that I feel like I should listen to him. Yeah, it sucks that I worked my butt off (literally) to get in shape but I think I''d rather be safe than sorry on this one even though he''s probably just being extra cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results