shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone elses SO worried about conflict diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
So last night E and I had a great talk on the long drive to his parents and back.

We talked about what it would be like to live together (we call it "Bizzaro World") and how he could get the nice car he wants when we share expenses, but I reminded him that there are other fairly expensive things that have to happen before we can live in "Bizzaro World." *hint hint*

A little later we were listening to a Kanye West song about conflict diamonds and this has always been a subject he feels strongly about. Several of his employees are from Africa and have told him stories about what the greed for diamonds does to their countries and their people. I agree that it is horrible that there''s that much greed period weather it surrounds diamonds or anything else. However logically there''s just no way this conflict is ever going to end and I still want my one diamond. Is that hypocritical of me?

I mean I''ve thought about having a e-ring with another stone but it''s just not what I want. I want my one diamond if it takes longer and costs more or ends up being smaller b/c we took the time to make sure it was not a conflict diamond then that''s fine. I just don''t want a colored stone e-ring. I mean some people really like that and I want to be clear that I think it a fine choice, but it''s just not what I want. How do explain this to him without sounding like a hypocrite?

On the up-side we did also talk about how I don''t really need a huge solitaire (like his sister has) and that the 3 stone ring isn''t really my style either, and I got to work in how I really love the Asscher cut. I pretended that I didn''t know much about diamonds LOL it was so funny (luckily I''m an actress) I was like "I don''t really like the square ones what are those called?" and he said "oh you mean the princess cut? But, girls love those." At least he knows a little bit more than I thought he did.
1.gif
Then he started driving crazy which I think was his way of changing the subject...lol scare the heck outa me till I shut up and hold on for dear life.....*sigh* boys.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
KC, all diamonds that enter the US are certified by the Kimberley Process as being conflict free. However, a very small percentage inevitably do slip in.

Lucky for you, a good chunk of the market is made up of Canadian diamonds. Those are most definitely 100% conflict free. (Unless you call any kind of mining ''conflict'' mining in which case you better foreswear all metals too).

So, tell your guy you want a diamond mined in Canada and you''re set. It shouldn''t be hard to find one at ALL. Call Blue Nile and ask them. I''m pretty sure they told me they have plenty, and that they don''t really cost any more unless they are branded.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Yep. When I was married, I was VERY concerned about them. Still am. I''m what a lot of people call "granola" - I''m very tuned into a lot of environmental (renewable energy, pollution, endangered species) and political/social (reproductive rights, FGM, human rights violations) issues. I''m also pagan/spiritual and am extremely aware of how my choices and actions impact others (even those I don''t know and never will meet). I DID not want a conflict diamond for the same reasons that I don''t wear garnets and a few other stones: people''s lives are lost or harmed, the only ones who profit are the corporations and mining companies, and the environment is ruined. I also favor using recycled metal, like these companies do:

Brilliant Earth: http://www.brilliantearth.com/EngageWebbands.aspx?gclid=CP2JuK_k5owCFSgRGgodXmHA7g

Green Karat: http://www.greenkarat.com/default.asp

Take a look at what they offer - the pieces are more stunning than I''ve ever seen in any standard jewelery store.

Then I learned about champagne diamonds. These come from Australia''s Argyle Mines. The majority of them are mined for industrial usage, but a small percentage are suitable for jewelery. My engagement stone was a very pale peach champagne stone, and I got a lot of complements on it.

When I get engaged again, I''ll either want another champagne, or a white sapphire. A vintage stone is also an option, as is something pretty from Brilliant Earth or Green Karat.

Bridget in Connecticut.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Independent Gal- I know that most diamonds are now certified he insists that even certified diamonds can be "laundered" and I see his point. There''s big money in the diamond industry and just like drug money is laundered I''d have to be totally naive to think some diamonds aren''t. Thank you for reminding me about Canadian stones maybe that will make him fell better.

Sandia- I will definitely check those out! I consider myself a little "granola" too. The idea of a champagne diamond or a white sapphire could be really cool too. I''ll have to look into that more. I wasn''t sure a white sapphire would be strong enough, but I do like that idea especially b/c I love the asscher cut.

I knew you guys would have some great ideas! Thanks! Keep ''em coming!

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 10:28:57 AM
Author: KCCutie

Independent Gal- I know that most diamonds are now certified he insists that even certified diamonds can be ''laundered'' and I see his point. There''s big money in the diamond industry and just like drug money is laundered I''d have to be totally naive to think some diamonds aren''t. Thank you for reminding me about Canadian stones maybe that will make him fell better.

Sandia- I will definitely check those out! I consider myself a little ''granola'' too. The idea of a champagne diamond or a white sapphire could be really cool too. I''ll have to look into that more. I wasn''t sure a white sapphire would be strong enough, but I do like that idea especially b/c I love the asscher cut.

I knew you guys would have some great ideas! Thanks! Keep ''em coming!
I remember reading somewhere that sapphires are the #2 most popular engagement stones, next to diamonds. Remember Lady Di''s sapphire halo? And they are also nearly as hard as diamonds. They''re fine for everyday wear, as long as you don''t horrendously beat up your jewelery or have the kind of job that you''re using your hands for dirty/messy work all the time. No stone is totally chip/crack-proof. You can chip a diamond if you hit it hard enough, too.

Someone on this board (I forget who...sorry) has a STUNNING sea blue sapphire asscher. It''s in her avatar. If she doesn''t post back to this thread, scroll through prior posts and you will see it. I''m also an asscher fan, but I LOVED this sapphire halo: http://www.brilliantearth.com/SapphireRingDetails.aspx?id=271. AND, it is made with renewed metal and a guaranteed ethically-minded stone. $1850 is also really affordable in terms of an e-ring.

If you like the idea of sapphires (and I do - they''re my birthstone) check out The Natural Sapphire Company as well. They offer stones in all shapes and sizes, not color treated, as well as finished rings and settings. A properly cut sapphire will sparkle as much or more than a diamond and is also more budget-friendly. You can get more stone for the dollar.

Bridget in Connecticut.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Sapphires are 9 on the Mohs hardness scale, and therefore appropriate for everyday wear.

However, white sapphires are just nowhere near as spectacular as diamonds in terms of light refraction. Sapphires are yummy for their colour, not their sparkliness or fireyness (?!). So a white one is, well, not so exciting.

But hardness and durability would be fine.

If your only concern is conflict, go Canadian, and your golden.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I have a white sapphire ring. I've been meaning to post it to SMTR sometime, along with the ring I have from my grandmother (and a photo-comparison of a white sapphire and a diamond), but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The sapphire in it is from The Natural Sapphire company. If you're looking for something that imitates a diamond, a sapphire is not it. Admittedly, the layperson won't be able to tell the difference unless you hold a diamond and the white sapphire right up next to each other. Still, it doesn't throw nearly as many rainbows as a diamond does. At the same time, there's something really beautiful about a white sapphire all on its own.

It's a different shade of white than a diamond - more blue-ish in tone. And in natural light it is quite sparkly, but most of the time it glows more than sparkles. It's just brilliant though - it makes me feel like I'm wearing a bit of glacier on my finger. That's the closest I can describe it.

I'd recommend anyone who's considering a white sapphire as an alternative to look at a well-cut, untreated one in a nice setting before deciding. I swear it looks different now that it's set. More glow-y.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My BF is not only against conflict diamonds but also any diamonds that come from Africa. His concern comes from the fact that hardly any of the money that is spent on those diamonds goes back to the country of it''s origin-where it''s probably needed most. Something about "Fat Cats keeping the miners down" or something to that regard. So I feel your pain in a lot of ways.

Where we differ is that I''d prefer a colored stone e-ring. My birthstone is the diamond, and I''m just not particularly interested in diamonds-and haven''t ever been. If I were to get a diamond I would want it to be a blue diamond-but that is WAAAAY out of our budget to do anytime soon. But I''ve made him promise that one day...I''ll get my blue diamond.

Another thing about my desire for something other than a diamond has to do with my mom''s 1.5ct princess. I will get that sucker someday, and I''m really not interested in having more than one of those big sparkly rocks. I know, I know, I''m crazy!! But I prefer to think I''m weird.

Anyway, I''d check out the Canadian diamond thing as well. Heck, I might as well clue in BF to that as well, being that he feels so strongly about the subject.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Freke, miners of coloured gemstones, particularly in countries with weak labour laws (not just Africa!) are just as likely to get a rough ride. There''s nothing special about diamonds in that regard, except that the movie was called ''Blood Diamond'' instead of ''Blood Tanzanite'' or ''(pigeon''s?) Blood Ruby''.

Sparkle and fire-wise, the best substitute for a diamond is a white zircon, although it''s not as hard as a diamond, and usually has a tint of pink or blue or some other more common zircon colour. (Not to be confused with it''s fakey cubic cousin... zircon is a natural gemstone).

Oh, and Aloros I hope I didn''t offend you! I''ve probably only seen crummy white sapphs.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My FI was concerned (and so was I!) about conflict diamonds, so we decided to buy Canadian diamonds. Of course, as we are Canadian ourselves, it was a great way to support our own economy. We had the ring handmade locally as well. Diamond Exchange (they have offices in New York, Toronto, Montreal, Sydney and Melbourne; you can also order online) has some gorgeous Canadian diamonds too.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
You''re going to face the same issues no matter what stones you want. If you think rubies or sapphires are mined under "fair and humane" conditions in SE Asia, think again. They''re not. Often child labor is used and there are currently no laws I''m aware of to cover any stones except diamonds.

I understand what your BF is saying but really, there are two ways around that:

1. Buy Canadian

2. Buy antique

3. Buy from a store that has a very overt policy and knows the origin of their diamonds

If you do a search on Rocky Talk for Conflict/Blood Diamonds, you''ll find a lot of threads and you and your BF can read them and then make a conclusion. But I''d say other stones are MORE problematic than diamonds because they''re not as regulated as the diamond industry.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 1:34:27 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Freke, miners of coloured gemstones, particularly in countries with weak labour laws (not just Africa!) are just as likely to get a rough ride. There''s nothing special about diamonds in that regard, except that the movie was called ''Blood Diamond'' instead of ''Blood Tanzanite'' or ''(pigeon''s?) Blood Ruby''.

Sparkle and fire-wise, the best substitute for a diamond is a white zircon, although it''s not as hard as a diamond, and usually has a tint of pink or blue or some other more common zircon colour. (Not to be confused with it''s fakey cubic cousin... zircon is a natural gemstone).

Oh, and Aloros I hope I didn''t offend you! I''ve probably only seen crummy white sapphs.
Psh! No offense taken! My FI thinks the sapphire looks plastic-y. I think it''s lovely. It''s all a matter of personal taste.

Funny how describing gemstones makes me make up words!
2.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 1:47:50 PM
Author: surfgirl

1. Buy Canadian

2. Buy antique

3. Buy from a store that has a very overt policy and knows the origin of their diamonds

If you do a search on Rocky Talk for Conflict/Blood Diamonds, you''ll find a lot of threads and you and your BF can read them and then make a conclusion. But I''d say other stones are MORE problematic than diamonds because they''re not as regulated as the diamond industry.
I am a huge HUGE fan of antique jewelery. When I was married, my wedding band was an Art Deco one. It was platinum and had flower blossoms with diamonds in the middles going all the way around. We bought it in Michael''s (a chain jeweler). That store has "estate trunk sales" 2-3x a year, where they buy and resell antique pieces. I believe Michael''s is a national chain.

Going antique is another way to get something unique and one-of-a-kind. You won''t see "your" ring on another woman. Plus, when we bought my wedding band, the jeweler said that it was most likely European. I had a lot of fun imagining who it belonged to previously (A French woman? A British war bride?). There is something really beautiful and cool about taking something old and forgotten and giving it new life and a new audience to see it.

Bridget in Connecticut.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
The thing is, Kimberley Process doesn't mean anything. If the supplier of the diamonds verbally TELLS the seller that it's conflict free, then it's conflict free. Also, "conflict free" only says that the money is not used for civil war or weapons. It says nothing about labor conditions, mining environment, if people lost their houses for this, etc.

Canadian Diamonds tend to be safer, because they require that people who work there are paid living wages, health care, vacation time, and such.

Natural Sapphire Company "claims" that they personally watch the mining conditions of their sources, so if a white stone is all you lust for, then you might want to contact them further about this.
If you say that you insist on diamond, then maybe Canadian is a better choice.

Some people say that lab made gems are the only one that is truly conflict free, but this may not be the case. The gems themselves are created here in the US, but most companies send their stones to countries such as India to have them cut/faceted. There is no telling what working environment they are in.

My bf and I feel very strongly about the source of our stone, so we decided on the "unmentionable-on-ps" stones. It worked for us only because I have never cared for diamonds. Hopefully, you will get what you want.

Also, if you are concerned about the source of diamonds, you should also be conscious about other daily things you use. Some Chinese girl has probably lost a finger or two for my shoes and clothes. Your wedding dress is 99% going to involve cheap mass labor in China, unless you go for 100% custom made couture dress in the United States costing you $1000s.

Inhumane working condition is everywhere, and as long as there is a customer looking for a cheap buy, it will not stop. The difference between the issue with diamonds and Nike Shoes is the price paid for diamonds so high, especially here where a rock-containing engagement ring is generally a "must" (Please don't argue with me on this point. If you look at the attitude of the rest of the world concerning "engagement", I think you will realize that it's true). With the money that the country gets for diamond, the damage they are afflicting on people are more severe.
Refusing to buy diamonds from Africa isn't going to help their condition either. The country is relying on the huge income from the US, and it might even be counter active to them to just say "no" based on the fact that a little of that money go to warfare and killing. The best way to relieve guilt, for me, is to get a stone from a place where you know it's conflict free, and make a donation that is active in helping these countries.

p.s. I know that I sound like a hypocrite, and if you demand an explanation on what I am about to receive for my engagement, I will do so. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Really great replies ladies. Thanks for all the info!

Choro - I totally agree just b/c I don''t buy a diamond from Africa won''t stop conflict diamonds from being sold. As long as people in general look for a deal there are going to be these kinds of problems and as many have said it''s not just specific to diamonds.

That being said I''m going to do some research on buying a Canadian stone and some organizations that I could make a donation to. I''d like to see a white sapphire up close. A friend of mine has one, not her e-ring, and it has a certain "just not a diamond" look to it but I''m not sure it could just be the cut/quality of her particular stone. I''ll have to ask her more about it.

On the other hand I just realized that E gave me a lovely necklace for Christmas with some tiny diamonds in it....maybe this whole thing is a ploy so he doesn''t have to buy a diamond e-ring. LOL! No, probably not but obviously he''s not as worried as some. Well, no matter what now if I have any say in it the diamond will be from Canada.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 1:34:27 PM
Author: Independent Gal

*Sign* IndyGal, I know.

Originally I wanted a blue topaz e-ring which he was ok with because they are so plentiful
and inexpensive that he figured that they were somehow more socially...ok. But as I spent more and more time on PS I discovered that there are some serious flaws with having topaz as an e-ring. Namely cleaving and just some general characteristics of the stone. So now I''ve moved on to Sapphire and I''ve found one that is from Montana that I would love to have, minus the 5k price tag. So...I''m stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hee hee. But luckily it seems as though I don''t have to worry about it for a while because the proposal is still at least a year away. And I don''t think I get to be active in the stone buying process anyway, so...yeah.

I should mention that he came up with this theory before we ever even saw "Blood Diamond". He''s very socially aware. Damn sociologist, getting in the way of my sparklies.
28.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 2:58:08 PM
That being said I''m going to do some research on buying a Canadian stone and some organizations that I could make a donation to. I''d like to see a white sapphire up close. A friend of mine has one, not her e-ring, and it has a certain ''just not a diamond'' look to it but I''m not sure it could just be the cut/quality of her particular stone. I''ll have to ask her more about it.

On the other hand I just realized that E gave me a lovely necklace for Christmas with some tiny diamonds in it....maybe this whole thing is a ploy so he doesn''t have to buy a diamond e-ring. LOL! No, probably not but obviously he''s not as worried as some. Well, no matter what now if I have any say in it the diamond will be from Canada.

I have seen white sapphire, and no, they are not meant to be diamond "substitute". Besides, if you are looking for a diamond substitute, my way of thinking is, it doesn''t exist. Sapphires have its own beautiful milky look to it that I absolutely adore. But if diamonds are what you want, then my suggestion is to find a diamond that you both can agree on. Besides, other stones are so beautiful in their own way, that I think they will be insulted to be called a "substitute"
3.gif
Last weekend I saw a White Beryl, and it too was gorgeous!

Wow, your bf is doing well in gifts! My bf should learn
3.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread, when doing research on my ring I read that opposite: that the Kimberly process (in the U.S.) was safer than buying a Canadian diamond, which may or may not be mined in Canada. It''s been over a year since I''ve done the research, but the articles I read said that the U.S. has the most stringent criteria for the Kimberly process and that it was more likely that blood diamonds leaked into the Canadian market than the U.S. market. I know that South America is apparently supposed to abide by the Kimberly process as well, though they have had several problems with diamonds leaking in from mines that were not approved.

Not only did our jeweller abide by the Kimberly process, but they were able to tell us the exact mine where the diamonds are extracted. Our jeweller was a high-end B&M, so I''m not sure if they deal with very few suppliers and that''s why we were able to get more info., but it was nice.

I have a feeling there is quite a bit published on the subject and again, I haven''t looked into it since 2006, but just thought I''d throw in what I found.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Canadian diamonds are laser inscribed with a trademark polar bear on the girdle, so if it has the polar bear, you can know pretty much for sure it''s a Canadian mined stone. Or at least, as sure as you know anything is what it''s claimed to be.

Which, of course, is not 100%.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 1:47:50 PM
Author: surfgirl

1. Buy Canadian

2. Buy antique

Take a look at the ad below. The engagement ring shown is my "dream ring." This store carries a lot of conflict-free Canadian and other (like the Aussie champagnes) diamonds. Plus, their designs are very unique - you won''t see them anywhere else. And they ship worldwide.

I called the store and asked for the specs on the ring shown, and they are:

- Center stone in pic is princess, .63ct, SI1
- Mounting is 18K white gold
- Price for ring as shown is $4450

They also said that they can substitute a RB or an Asscher for the center stone. They have also had customers request the mounting in platinum, which is special-order but that they can do.

Bridget in Connecticut.

D-V-V-S2.gif

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo Sandia thanks for sharing that is an awesome ring! I didn''t think I was a big fan of the halos but that is so beautiful.

Here''s to hoping one of those is in your near future!
2.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I did a lot of research into Canadian diamonds, and the positive impact it has had on the Native peoples up there makes me warm and fuzzy to this day.

There are very strict laws in the NWTs regarding Native rights and the working conditions at all levels (Natives work at every level from miner to cutter to office) so Canadian diamonds are a good option.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I feel equally warm and fuzzy about tsavorites.

Report from Bernhard H. Mueller:

"On my first day at the Aqua mine I was shown around by the operations manager. The mine manager, Mr. Kibathi, was very cooperative and explained to me more about the operation and details of the tsavorite mining. At the moment the Aqua mines employ 25 workers. The miner''s day starts at 7:00 AM and goes until 3:00 PM. When the miners leave the pit, security guards come in and stay till 07:00 AM the next morning to protect the mine and equipment. The miners get free housing, food and a good salary with bonuses. The camp''s electricity is produced by environmental friendly solar panels or a generator. A nearby Canteen provides entertainment in the evening ....... If you are interested in collecting or dealing in gemstones, but are scared off by blood diamonds from Sierra Leone, tsavorite from Kenya is the perfect gemstone to buy. They are mined in commercial operations by owners who respect human rights."

A lot of the businesses in Sri Lanka are family run, and very much depend on overseas sales.

I also had dinner last week by chance with the executive director of a diamond mine in South Africa, who was explaining what they were doing in the way of trying to be more eco-friendly, rights for their workers and the programmes that they were working on with the Government over there to put benefits back into the country and local area.

It was very interesting.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2008 9:37:41 AM

Oooo Sandia thanks for sharing that is an awesome ring! I didn''t think I was a big fan of the halos but that is so beautiful.

Here''s to hoping one of those is in your near future!
2.gif
DVVS offers a lot of really beautiful pieces, including some small, delicate rings like in the pic. I happen to love halos...but my preference is smaller center stones. I don''t like anything too big, and halos make things look bigger. A lot of the halos I see are way too big for my taste, but that one''s just right.

Yeah....I would DIE if that one was what I got! If you''ve been reading my posts, my BF and I have been on the roller coaster ride lately. But I decided a while ago that he''s who I want, and I would say yes in a second if he proposed. We had a tough 6 months, then we had a great almost-week vacation away which went well, and things had been getting better since we got back....until last night. Stupid STUPID me had a couple of drinks last night and I blew something out of proportion that I shouldn''t have. I almost walked out because I got annoyed, until he told me to just come to bed. On one hand, when we got up this morning, his take on it was, "You were buzzed and it wouldn''t have happened if you weren''t....but let''s just put it aside and move on." But on the other hand, his ex-wife has bad substance issues, and I feel like I''m not allowed license to be a human being. I do not do that every day or even every month....but I said as much last night: I am tired of having to feel like I have to be over-the-top perfect to compensate for what she put you through. He says I did nothing wrong but shoot off my mouth. I dunno - I feel bad today (emotionally bad, not hung-over bad...I wasn''t that gone). Don''t mean to vent or thread-jack, but it''s not a happy day today. What''s that phrase my mom used to use, "I''m not punishing you for X - you do a good enough job yourself."

Bridget in Connecticut.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Well....Darn HBO was playing "Blood Diamond" all weekend and wouldn''t you know E just had to watch it.

So we did talk about how this movie was set int he 90''s (I think) and things have changed and that there are places to get diamonds that are removed from this type of conflict ie Canada. To which he replies "I just wish you would reconsider." I''m not sure what that means and I did ask but really got no explanation. I told him that every kind of stone has it''s own conflicts, it''s not just diamonds and that I wasn''t going to give up on jewelry in general for the rest of my life. I said I''m okay with being really picky about what I get and where I get it from....but come on what does he want me to say...."Oh it''s okay I never ever want you to give me any jewelry ever for the rest of our lives" That''s just ridiculous.

Meanwhile my whole family is wedding crazy. My parents and even my great aunt (my deceased grandmother''s only sister who never married so she''s like my grandma now). It''s so hard not to go over the edge into the deep end with all of them pushing me. I''m so glad I have PS to help me keep this in perspective.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 11:00:08 AM
Well....Darn HBO was playing ''Blood Diamond'' all weekend and wouldn''t you know E just had to watch it.

So we did talk about how this movie was set int he 90''s (I think) and things have changed and that there are places to get diamonds that are removed from this type of conflict ie Canada. To which he replies ''I just wish you would reconsider.'' I''m not sure what that means and I did ask but really got no explanation. I told him that every kind of stone has it''s own conflicts, it''s not just diamonds and that I wasn''t going to give up on jewelry in general for the rest of my life. I said I''m okay with being really picky about what I get and where I get it from....but come on what does he want me to say....''Oh it''s okay I never ever want you to give me any jewelry ever for the rest of our lives'' That''s just ridiculous.

Meanwhile my whole family is wedding crazy. My parents and even my great aunt (my deceased grandmother''s only sister who never married so she''s like my grandma now). It''s so hard not to go over the edge into the deep end with all of them pushing me. I''m so glad I have PS to help me keep this in perspective.
Why wouldn''t he elaborate on what he meant by "Please reconsider"? I think what needs to happen is for you two to talk about what the issues are, and come up with a compromise. That''s what we did...
I understand how you feel about your relatives being excited. My solution was to refuse to talk about it with anyone. My mom got the hint, and we haven''t talk about weddings at all for more than a month. The next time I talk to ANYONE about marriage, it will be when I have the darn thing on my finger. It helped me a lot. I realized that a lot of anxiety that I had was because of the conversations I''ve had with my lovely family and friends.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Choro -You are so right I need to just not give into them and refuse to talk about it, which by the way is what I usually do, but my mother is just not giving in wanting to get one of her 4 children married off somehow and since I''m the only one in a serious relationship I get the brunt of her efforts. Normally I just roll my eyes and walk away but she has been having a really rough time lately so I let her off easy.

Hmmm time for a new thread I think....

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Sandia that is a beautiful ring for a nice price!

spike13

Shiny_Rock
My BF and I were just discussing conflict diamonds tonight. We also talked about old European cut stones I really love the look of them, but I hate to think my stone was stolen - or worse from a holocaust victim. Perhaps that''s being a bit paranoid, but both of us lost family in the war so it''s a very sensitive subject.

Does anyone know if you can get an newly cut "European Cut" or is an antique stone the only way to find that look?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a stone from Winfield''s that was cut by Infinity and mined in Canada. From Canada to Antwerp to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results