shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone else have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I cannot figure out what I want for a setting. I know I want side stones.... probably. Unless a solitaire just jumps out at me. I know I either want princess, radiant, or cushion.... and around .8-1.2 carats (depending on quality and price) but the setting itself is sooooo hard! How can I give him ideas if I can''t decide?!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Have you been to try things on yet? If not, you should start there! If so, my suggestion is just to keep on trying different styles on until you find the right one. I was getting frustrated because after going out like 4 or 5 separate times with FF to try settings on, I told him that while there were lots that I liked, none of them jumped out to me as "the one." I finally figured out what I wanted though and had it custom made, but haven''t been able to see it yet because he won''t let me!

PostIt

Rough_Rock
I agree with Star Sparkle. Everything I loved online in pictures I wound up hating in person on my finger. You'll start to find things that you love and if you're like me, you won't want to stop trying ones on, even when you've found *the one*.

ETA: I also found that going somewhere where they are not pushy and trying to sell you a ring quickly and get you out of the door is a much better atmosphere to find what you like.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''ve thought about that. And I do want to, it''s just finding the right places I suppose. Our mall has all of the a-typical mall places. The only fine jewelers in the mall are super snooty. They have flat out told customers they don''t make enough to buy there
38.gif

I''ll have to find some local jewelers that are a bit better somehow I suppose. Maybe I can go to Orlando and have better luck?
34.gif

PostIt

Rough_Rock
The very first place we went to was Bailey Banks and Biddle. They were very nice and let me try everything on. They gave us the basic diamond education and were not pushy at all.

I believe there is one in Orlando.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
35.gif
hey dragonfly - i totally know how you feel. when i first discovered PS last summer, i knew exactly what i wanted - a .75-1.0ct princess cut halo with a spilt shank. since then, i''ve changed my mind so many times. i couldn''t make up my mind. in more recently months, this site has totally converted me...now i''m pretty dead set on wanting a .85-.99 solitaire in preferably the vatche royal crown setting with a 5-stone wedding band. now its just a matter of waiting. hehe.
20.gif

my taste has evolved and flipped 180 over the last few months! hopefully this site will help you find the PERFECT ring!
9.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2008 3:03:55 PM
Author: dragonfly411

I''ve thought about that. And I do want to, it''s just finding the right places I suppose. Our mall has all of the a-typical mall places. The only fine jewelers in the mall are super snooty. They have flat out told customers they don''t make enough to buy there
38.gif

I''ll have to find some local jewelers that are a bit better somehow I suppose. Maybe I can go to Orlando and have better luck?
38.gif
Oh, no they didn''t! Sheesh. That kind of reminds me of my first management job. I handled advertising and trade shows for the company, and I had a sales rep for a printing company call me and actually say, "Honey, can I speak to your boss?" This was in 1989, but still. I was having a quick-witted day (plus I was PO''d at someone in the office anyway and was full of wee-wee and vinegar). I said to the guy, "Honey, I AM the boss. But if you would like to speak to a man, I can get the maintenance guy for you." He flubbered and apologized....and the next time I needed something printed, I called his competitor. A store like that - I would tell everyone I know about that and make sure they didn''t get the business of anyone I know. That''s incredibly rude -- like "Pretty Woman" rude (the scene where the snooty store woman wouldn''t help her because she was wearing her "working" clothes). And actually, ignorant. The richest people usually drive old cars, shop at discount places and don''t flaunt it.

I don''t know where specifically you live, but if your area has an Arts and Entertainment paper (the kind that you can get in gas stations and in street boxes), look for store ads in there. In my area, that paper is called The New Haven Advocate, and they don''t have ads from larger jewelers -- only ads from artisan shops and small, independent jewelers.

Bridget in Connecticut.

Markie

Rough_Rock
It may help to think about what you want the wedding band to look like. For example, I think certain engagement rings look better with eternity bands or 5-stone wedding rings. If you want a plain band think about how the ring will look next to it and whether you want it to sit flush. Things like that helped me narrow down my choices.

I know what you mean about having a hard time choosing. PS did that to me to! In the end I ended up going for exactly the same type of ring I initially said I wanted- a round in a 6 prong tiffany setting. But for awhile I wanted all sorts of things- a halo, a cushion, baguette sidestones, pear sidestones, pave, something custom, something antique. I know it is tough to choose, and I still wonder sometimes what it would be like to have a different ring, something less traditional and more unique, but in the end I am happy because its beautiful and its from the man I love. So don''t worry about getting it wrong, because no matter what it will be your engagement ring from your fiance!

Why don''t you get pictures of everything you like and ask for his input? My bf was actually really helpful in ruling things out- partially because he kept reminding me of our budget...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results