shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone care to take a field trip to Arkansas? We can go diamond hunting..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hQlB-F7_iqCFX7roVdMN5atrf3vgD92IT1RO0

Ark. man finds 4.42-carat diamond at state park

MURFREESBORO, Ark. (AP) — A local diamond hunter found a 4.42-carat stone Friday after about a 30-minute search at the Crater of Diamonds State Park, a park official announced.

Dennis Tyrrell, of Murfreesboro, searches for diamonds about three or four days a week at the state park and has found several others before, Assistant Superintendent Bill Henderson said. The white diamond Tyrrell found Friday was his largest find so far.

"It is a very nice diamond because of its size," Henderson said. "And it has what they call a silver cape on it. It's about the size of a Chiclet gum. It's rectangular in shape."

Henderson said park officials weren't qualified to evaluate the gem's worth, but said Tyrrell's find would have substantial value on the market.

"We're talking several thousand dollars," he said, adding that he guessed Tyrrell would probably sell the precious stone.

The park is the only diamond mine in North America where the public can search for diamonds and other gems and keep them. While the site has been a park, the largest diamond found was 16 carats. Before that, a 40-carat diamond was unearthed.
-------------------------------

What is this silver cape they are referring to? Anyone want to take bets that we'll suddenly have a new poster on here asking what to do with a rough, 4+ carat rock? Hehe.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Count me in for the field trip.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I went a few years ago, spent hours and found nothing. They average maybe 1 diamond find a day, and most are tiny brown diamonds. It was interesting, but it''s a long drive from anywhere else in Arkansas!

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 7:11:20 AM
Author: MMT
Count me in for the field trip.

Yipee! I'll bring the food, you bring drinks! And we'll have sparklies for entertainment
2.gif
2.gif

Date: 8/16/2008 12:28:27 PM
Author: MustangGal
I went a few years ago, spent hours and found nothing. They average maybe 1 diamond find a day, and most are tiny brown diamonds. It was interesting, but it's a long drive from anywhere else in Arkansas!

Oh, how awesome that a PSer has actually done this (I should have expected it, after all)! Wouldn't it be fun if you had actually found something big, white and potentially sparkly?
9.gif
9.gif
What did you do with the little brown ones you came across? Throw 'em back in?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to go there.. I wish I could!

I don''t mind what colour the stones are, it would just be sooo cool to find a diamond!

x x x

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 6:30:47 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Silver Cape is old skool diamond speak for K/L color
2.gif

Wiki diamond color grading

Oooh, thanks for dropping some knowledge PP! I''ll see if I can''t slip that into a future post somewhere on the forum and trip a few people up.
2.gif
Strange that they would use such obsolete terminology in the article...

Date: 8/16/2008 7:26:31 PM
Author: Cleo
I would love to go there.. I wish I could!

I don''t mind what colour the stones are, it would just be sooo cool to find a diamond!

x x x

I *totally* agree Cleo. Wouldn''t that be fun? Diamond hunting? I mean come on, that''s a PSers dream come trueeee. I think most of the fun would be had the night before, dreaming about the potential goodies we could discover.

gracioso

Rough_Rock
wow is this story true or as fake as a bigfoot one
22.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Oh it''s true. I grew up in the midwest and have known a few peeps that went there. All they found were a few industrial grade diamonds, but the park is real and occasionally someone does find a diamond worth wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results