shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone buy a cushion from an on-line vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
I''m hoping that someone out there has purchased a cushion cut diamond from an on-line vendor in the past and can give me some advice. I think we''re about ready (finally) to seriously buy a diamond. I think I want to go with an on-line vendor because they can offer a better price (which is definitely important to us), but everyone says that for cushions especially, there are no right or wrong, #''s (table, depth, etc to judge cut), you really need to see the diamond. Obviously this isn''t very easy to do - and especially to compare.

Has anyone bought a cushion on-line? How was your experience? What vendor did you go with? How did you compare diamonds? Do any on-line vendors provide various scope and actual pictures like GOG does?

I''d also appreciate any other advice you can give me during this process - thanks so much!!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI Cushion :)

So to start off I began looking for cushions...and had looked to see what vendors carried them...but had a hard time trying to get a handle as to what to look at for numbers...there is no conveinent chart or tool for fancies..like there is for RB...

I personally prefer the more squarish types cushions...

I looked locally (Boston) to see if I could get a look at cushions...I must have called over 30 places...only one had one and one was able to get one...while they were beatiful stones...they were not quite what I was looking for...

I stumbled onto pricescope...and eventually onto some of the newer cushiony shapes...

Richard Sherwood was kind enough to post some pics for me i will try to do the same for you...

Once I saw the pics I fell in love with Regent...but other than the pic that had been posted finding info was very difficult...I eventually ended up calling the cutter...and having a great chat wiht him...he referred me to GOG and I ended up getting my baby...I just love it...the pic is in my avatar...I had also I had found it hard (as have others) to find pic of them set so I made a thread in the 'show me the ring' forum...called Regent pics

All that being said...most vendors can get you a cushion some list them at there site...find a vendor and see what they can do for you...
read.gif

Hope this has been somewhat helpful
16.gif

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Hi Diane,

Thanks so much for your post. I've actually read a bunch of your posts and followed your story over time. Your ring is beautiful by the way
eek.gif
I like the regent a lot, but I know that I really want a more rectangular stone. I could be wrong, but about the only cut I think that really fits the bill is a cushion-cut.

I feel like I've done so much research over the past year and a half to figure out exactly what I want, but now I'm not sure how to compare diamonds on-line. I too live in the Southern NH/Boston area and have had a very hard time finding any places that carry cushions.

I had a mall store in NH get 2 in for me to look at and they were pretty bad looking, not to mention ridiculously overpriced. I also went to Barmakian's in Nashua and they were able to show me a couple of cushions. They were helpful and not outrageously priced, but still not exactly what I was looking for and I just feel like I could get a better value from an on-line vendor.

I really would love to work with Jonathan from GOG and I love the way he provides you with so many scope images, but I know that he doesn't carry any cushions, so it seems as thought I need to go elsewhere.

I did a search from Pricescope's homepage and it looks as though Whiteflash and Abazia's have a decent amount of cushions, I just don't know if either of them can give me the info I need to be comfortable buying a stone that I've never seen. The info available on each stone on their websites is pretty basic. I'd want a picture of the actual stones along with scope pic (if possible) to do some comparisons.

Anyone else out there purchase a cushion on-line or have any tips as to how I can compare stones from on-line vendors? Will some vendors give me more info than others?

Thanks again for the help and advice!
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/15/2003 5:52:05 PM cushionsearcher wrote:

Hi Diane,

I did a search from Pricescope's homepage and it looks as though Whiteflash and Abazia's have a decent amount of cushions, I just don't know if either of them can give me the info I need to be comfortable buying a stone that I've never seen. The info available on each stone on their websites is pretty basic. I'd want a picture of the actual stones along with scope pic (if possible) to do some comparisons.
----------------

The only cushion I bought online was a tsavorite, so it may not help. But I know that Whiteflash does provide at least Idealscope pics to buyers. This appeared from previous PS posts. However, I have no idea at what stage of the purchase this happens. In any case, if you get to ask them for the actual and scope pictures you may get them, just like th eothers did. Good luck!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi the cushette is more elongated...I will try to attach pic...

I suspect that Jonathan can get you a cushion...but you will need to ask him...and give him an idea what you are looking for...Whiteflash may also be able to help you...also for some reason I am thinking Dirt cheap diamonds had some...

I went to EB Horn in Boston when I looked at them...this had one it was >1.5 ct...and >10K you might want to give them a call...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic of the cushette...

cushette.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
So I don't know how much better you can do on-line...because cushion are exactly lying around...

Barmakian has a good rep...I suspect you may be able to do some negotiating...if they can find you what you want

diane

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Dear Cushionseeker:
Do you have a setting yet for your cushion-to-be?

Goldenringlets

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did point out this (check here too, for that missing link) source of occasional antique-looking cushion cuts to someone, but I can't seem to find that post on your threads, Cushionsearcher. So here it is!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan at GOG can source a cushion cut diamond for you... Practically any one of the on-line dealers can... You probably won't find any of us actually stocking the stones since they are not a fast seller, but we all have access to the same working lists... The reason you find 'basic information' on various sites is because they are re-publishing the multiple listings which all of us have access to, those dealers can also bring the stone in for you and evaluate it on your behalf prior to purchase if you ask them to...

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Golden Ringlet,

I have not found a setting yet from someone that I can actually purchase, but I have a very good idea of what I'm looking for and will probably just have a jewler make it for me. Attached is very close to what I'm looking for. I'd like a very thin band with small prong, bead, or pave set diamonds that go about half-way around the ring.

beth ring1.jpg

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Diane, Thanks for the pictures of the cushette - I have seen it before, but I thought that I read (in some post on PS) that it was a bit over-priced since it is a branded diamond. The cushette site didn't really give a whole lot of information but I did find a jewler in Connecticut (they have a big cushette billboard on I-84) that carries them. I just contacted him to ask about weight, color, clarity, price, etc., so I'll let you know what I find out.

Does anyone else out there have any opinions on the cushette? Would it be worth the money, or would I get a better value looking for a well-cut regular cushion? I'm actually not entirely certain that I love the pattern of the cushette, although I definitely like the shape.

Valeria101, thanks for the info about whiteflash, I'm glad to hear that they can at least provide me with idealscope pictures, that's great to know. I also checked out the diamonds by lauren site, but they do not have any cushions at the moment.

Robin & Todd Gray, thanks for the info - I may actually try to contact Jonathan to see what he's able to do, in terms of getting cushions into his B&M store.

Thanks so much for all of your help. If anyone esle out there has bought a cushion diamond from an on-line vendor, I'd love to hear about your experience!
twirl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Best of luck! this is what I wanted to show you. The ring in your picture is one great looking piece with an older cut (the model is still made today though) cushion shape, the cushette has a very different look... It would be interesting to see what this brand achieves in term of light return though.

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Thanks valeria101, that's a great looking cushion, but I'm looking for something smaller (and less pricy) - around 1ct, hopefully around $4K. Guess I should've mentioned that sooner
loopy.gif

Thanks again for the advice!

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
Oldminer - I just saw that you posted and I know that you're familiar with cushion-cut diamonds. Do you know or have you heard about people who have purchased a cushion from an on-line vendor? Has anyone sent cushions from an on-line vendor to you for appraisal?

Also, I know that its more important for the purchaser of a cushion to like the way the diamond looks, than it is for the diamond to have good #'s, but I'm wondering how it is that you appraise a cushion-cut diamond. Do you go soley on carat, clarity and color? Do table/depth precentages play a role? Do you use other tools to evaluate light leakage, brilliance, etc? Are there certain trait that are desireable/not desireable that I should be able to tell based on a cushion's #'s?

Thanks for your guidance!
wavey.gif

Becky

Rough_Rock
Hi Cushionsearcher,

I have a really exquisite cushion diamond that I obtained from an estate sale. It's around a carat - beautiful cut and clarity. Just let me know if you would like any more information.

Becky
[email protected]

ceetee

Rough_Rock
Hi- I bought and returned a cushion from an online vendor. The cushion cut from the vendor was a modified cushion brilliant and that turned out to be a modern interpretation of an old cushion cut. I just did not love the stone (although it was a beautiful D/VS1) for reasons I just could not put my finger on. I didn't realize that what I had fallen in love with was the old traditional cushion cut. my appraiser (David Wolf) educated me reagrding the dfferences in cushions and I ultimately ended up returning the stone. unfortunately the differences are not so easliy defined by # and so there is no easy criteria when internet shopping.
i did some more research and through some friends/connections was able to buy real old fashioned cushion cut. (search the show me the ring thread "my cushion cut ering")
what i learned is that the cushion cut is very dependent on subjective opinion as opposed to # and that there are significant visual differences in the types of cushion cuts out there today. because of that buying a cushion on line didn't work out that well for me. however i was very picky about what i wanted in terms of shape and visual appearance. (the dealer i worked with told me that all true cushion lovers are
1.gif
)
hope that helps a little.
ps. dont know where you are but i saw some absolutely gorgous old cushion cuts in Tiffany's NYC store this weekend. Ridiculously priced of course, but maybe it would help to see some on person if you are ever in the city.

angela

Rough_Rock
Don't know if you're still looking, but just saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3824&item=2694311668

Seems to be a reputable vendor... anyone ever purchased from this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results