shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone bought anything from All that Glitters?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that Glitters or www.atggems.com ?

I''m trying to find good vendors to work with for colored stones. Of course some like "Cherry picked" never have anything in my price range.

So anyone purchased from ATG? Happy? Did the photo look like the gem you got?

THANKS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I purchased a colour change garnet but returned it. It was too small, but the stone was as represented. The return and refund were prompt and hassle free. I also recently purchased a spessartine garnet. The cut wasn't a true asscher (which I HAD to have) so I returned it. The colour was amazing but not well captured in the picture. Again, the return and refund were prompt and hassle free. I would not hesitate to buy a gemstone from Alan in the future.

Cherrypicked is overpriced. I know that there people who purchased the stones cheap years ago, held on to them for a few years until the price went up (because the mine dried up), then sold it to CP who then sells them for a whole lot more.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
I actually bought the spessartite that chrono returned and it is just beautiful. I would buy from them again. Very professional and I thought the stone was described just right. HTH.

Jessica

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I think their prices are kind of high for Moz tourmalines. Again, that's why I buy from my Thai dealer friend. I have purchased similar looking stones for much less. The two lime green stones on the the bottom of the webpage here
http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Tourmaline-Mozambique.htm
for example, are overpriced to me. And the cert doesn't even indicate the presence of copper, just that they're elbaite tourmaline. Now maybe I'm crazy, and maybe that's what the prices should be, but it still seems kind of high to me. However, I'm glad that others have had great experiences with them, and maybe they have better prices on other species of gemstone.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I just went into the website to take a look.. wow, check out the 6.10ct square cut purplish mozambique tourmaline. It is to die for, but seems pricey though, at $3660. Or is this the market price?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is priced a little on the expensive side. Then again, the stones on ATG are usually very pretty and the cut is very good. Plus, add the 6 carat size with the Moz paraiba craze and the price goes up.
13.gif

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 3:33:58 PM
Author: simplysplendid
I just went into the website to take a look.. wow, check out the 6.10ct square cut purplish mozambique tourmaline. It is to die for, but seems pricey though, at $3660. Or is this the market price?
How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-91CT-RARE-LAVENDAR-PARAIBA-TOURMALINE-MOZAMBIQUE-AAA_W0QQitemZ120137183891QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10282QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

And check out the price. I saw that square one to, and this stone that I''ve been eyeing for quite some time on ebay, came to mind.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, it is gorgeous! but still expensive, a far cry from the amount that I am comfortable to pay on ebay.. does paraibas really come in purple?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They come in many colours, from the famous blue greens (which have been heated but was originally purple), purples, magenta, pinks, greens and many shades in between.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Those purple tourmalines look great- but big $ difference 6.10 ct for $3660 or ebay find 8.91 ct for $1400. Prices very different since both stones really look like they sparkle. Plus- these stones are tourmalines from mozambique- but no certification that they have copper so they will not have neon glow in low light like true copper-bearing tourmalines- RIGHT??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2007 4:48:05 PM
Author: Green with Envy
Those purple tourmalines look great- but big $ difference 6.10 ct for $3660 or ebay find 8.91 ct for $1400. Prices very different since both stones really look like they sparkle. Plus- these stones are tourmalines from mozambique- but no certification that they have copper so they will not have neon glow in low light like true copper-bearing tourmalines- RIGHT??
I believe you get what you get for. The cut on that ATG Moz stone is superb. It really brings out the purple colour and you can SEE the glow. ATG will give you your money back 100% hassle free, no questions asked after a 10 day trial period from the date you receive the stone. I think it blows away the ebay stone. The ebay stone looks like an ordinary purple stone to my eyes. Maybe it does glow and the picture isn''t that great. The cut is so-so so perhaps the price reflects that.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 4:48:05 PM
The dealer with the 8.91 will get it certified with a GIT memo stating it contains copper if you request it. Perhaps the 8.91 isn''t as nice as the 6.10, but I''ve asked this dealer questions in the past about his gemstones, and he''s pretty up front with me. You can even ask him how it compares to the one on AGT gem site, and he will give you a good answer. I once asked him to compare a paraiba to another one I saw, and he told me how it looked in comparison, and it was a pretty straightforward answer without any bells and whistles. I haven''t purchased anything from him, but I like his communication and responses. I know AGT gets their stones from Thailand because they have GIT memos with a lot of their stones, that''s a tell tale sign. I don''t think they send the stones all the way to Thailand to get them certified.

However, Chrono has very good eyes for gemstones, and I do think she can pick out some really beautiful things.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANKS everyone. I''m really trying to find things I like with good vendors and avoid Ebay. Cause I don''t know if my monitor shows the true color of the stones.

You''re all being very helpful.
9.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I think at ATG you are definitely paying for quality.. the stones there are beautiful..

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I am just a newbie - but when I emailed All that Glitters- they got back to me right away. Also after looking at some of their inventory- they made a suggestion for what thay thought would be best to match cat eyes- but something about stone I did not love. I second the idea that it is easy to ship with USA and easy to return if stone is not perfect.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Which stone did they recommend, do you have a pic? Just curious.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes- i posted it and it looks very olive. The thing with the olive- I can see it in pictures as a newbie just like the pros can- but when i ask about this- most venders deny any olive. AJS finally got back to me about the 4 chrysoberyls they first receommended and they said NONE of the stones have any hint of olive or brown and that the largest stone was the best. Chrono vetoed the color/ cutting of 3 out of 4 options they gave due to bad undertones and I trust chrono...

Lembecks also said his large chrysoberyl has not even a tinge of olive or brown- but I see a bit in pic. We will see when it arrives...

For ATGGems- I explained that color of the kite shape jumped out at me the most as similar to eyes on my moniter - but they thought this stone was the closets they had to eyes. They did agree it was not perfect match though. I liked so many of their other tourmalines that didn''t match eyes- I thought I should just save money and wait to get a stone that looks good color to me and forget about the cat thing.

AAGems recommendation to match eyes...

trm_396pt_oval_ylw_grn 1.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 11:13:24 AM
Yes- i posted it and it looks very olive. The thing with the olive- I can see it in pictures as a newbie just like the pros can- but when i ask about this- most venders deny any olive. AJS finally got back to me about the 4 chrysoberyls they first receommended and they said NONE of the stones have any hint of olive or brown and that the largest stone was the best. Chrono vetoed the color/ cutting of 3 out of 4 options they gave due to bad undertones and I trust chrono...

Chrono does have a good eye for color but she, like the rest of us here, is viewing a static picture whereas the vendor is (presumably) viewing the gem live. Cameras can pick up things that your eye does not (ever seen a picture of a zircon and it''s double refraction?). I think I''d trust a live viewing more than a picture on a monitor, especially as everyone''s monitor shows color just a bit differently. AJS and AGT are reputable vendors and really, they gain nothing from lying to you. If they tell you, "nope, no brown mask to the stone" and then when you get it, it has a brown mask you send it back and slag them all over the internet. They lose out doubly, not only on your sale but on their reputation, which frankly is an internet jeweler/gem seller''s biggest asset.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Kismet. I am basing my answers on a static picture which might not be an accurate representation of the stone. Perhaps the poor camera setup and lighting could make the stone look worse, or maybe not. I would trust the words of the vendor himself if it is AJS, ATG and Lembeck. I've dealt with all 3 and they are honest and reputable. If they say it isn't olive, I'd take their word for it. The catch is to ask the right questions, which you have.

These are questions you may want to ask:

1. Colour
a. Any brown or gray undertones
b. What is the saturation of colour
c. What is the tone of colour
d. Any colour zoning
e. Per GIA colour chart, how would the stone be described? slYGreen, YGreen, GYellow?

2. Cut
a. How lively is the stone
b. Are there any windows in the stone. If so, how large/detracting is it?
c. Are there any extinction in the stone

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono- I understand (I think!) meanings of all of those questions except extinction. I have peeked at too many postings on diamond forums so that I think I am already a cut snob (... is 41% pav. the BEST?... ha ha) and I barely own any diamonds!

I want good color- but cut too. How to look for extinction with internet pics?

Plus- recommendations for cutters? i not sure if willing to make huge $ purchase for something that not perfect to my eye and have 30% of size/ weight shaved off in attempt to improve. Maybe I should take baby steps into this new found gem obsession.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2007 12:28:54 PM
Chrono- I understand (I think!) meanings of all of those questions except extinction. I have peeked at too many postings on diamond forums so that I think I am already a cut snob (... is 41% pav. the BEST?... ha ha) and I barely own any diamonds!

I want good color- but cut too. How to look for extinction with internet pics?

Plus- recommendations for cutters? i not sure if willing to make huge $ purchase for something that not perfect to my eye and have 30% of size/ weight shaved off in attempt to improve. Maybe I should take baby steps into this new found gem obsession.
Extinction is areas where the stone is dark/devoid of colour. Sometimes, this is caused by head obstruction (shadows when viewing the stone up close) but this type of obstruction will disappear when the stone is veiwed from further away. A more permanent type of extinction is caused by bad cutting and/or the gemstone rough itself. All gemstones have a certain amount of extinction; it is a matter of how much. The best quality gemstones will have minimal extinction.

If going with a trusted vendor, just ask their opinion on extinction on the stones you are interested in. In fact, ask the vendor(s) all the questions I mentioned earlier. I am sure most would be happy to answer them, and discuss them in detail.

As for the re-cuts, I answered that in your other Moz tourmaline thread.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Got it- thanks. So extinction is sort of the same as color zoning? I understood zoning to mean that when you turn the stone in certain directions- there might inconsistency of color and some "Zones" on the stone will look less good color, darker, or some overtone of unwanted color or other negative color effect. Different zones of color in a gem also related to cut quality- right? Thus as you said- "extinction" is when the nice color of stone disappears (like the dinosaurs).

I agree a bird in hand is better than two in the bush so i want to get something that is perfect to me as is without trying to change it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2007 1:57:35 PM
Got it- thanks. So extinction is sort of the same as color zoning? I understood zoning to mean that when you turn the stone in certain directions- there might inconsistency of color and some ''Zones'' on the stone will look less good color, darker, or some overtone of unwanted color or other negative color effect. Different zones of color in a gem also related to cut quality- right? Thus as you said- ''extinction'' is when the nice color of stone disappears (like the dinosaurs).

I agree a bird in hand is better than two in the bush so i want to get something that is perfect to me as is without trying to change it.
Not quite.
Here''s Widget''s spinel which has some extinction. See how it is red, but has large blackish areas? That''s extinction. Extinction is mostly due to cut from long light paths in dark stones. These stones are often deep colors like garnets, spinels and sapphires. If the stone is cut so that the light path in particular locations is quite long, the stone will show black or very deep body colors in those locations.
000i4488.jpg

Zoning is a wee bit different. Let''s say the primary colour of the stone is red. Zoning is where the stone is red, then has a pink stripe, then red again, then ends with purple. All viewed at the same angle across the stone. I''m not sure if I can find a picture of it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s an example of zoning. Half of the rough is very pale, and the other half is a very rich vibrant purple.

amef111.jpg

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of extinction, most tourmalines are prone to extinction in incandescent light. It may not be due to the cut of the stone, but the way the light passes through the stone. Richard Wise, in his book "Secrets of the Gem Trade" discusses this with tourmaline. Since you are looking for tourmalines in particular, it is something to be leary of. Ask them if the stone goes extinct in certain lighting. Most good copper bearing neon tourmalines do not go extinct in incandescent light, this is an aspect of their brightiness and vibrancy. I see so much olive in those stones, it is probably a good idea to get a hold of an example of the GIA color chart, as Chrono advises, and ask them which color the stone most looks like as well. Of course, I see olive in tsavorites that many people thing look emerald green. The vendor might not see olive in his/her stone, but if you see it, it may be there. It''s a subjective thing as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2007 11:13:24 AM

Lembecks also said his large chrysoberyl has not even a tinge of olive or brown- but I see a bit in pic. We will see when it arrives...

For ATGGems- I explained that color of the kite shape jumped out at me the most as similar to eyes on my moniter - but they thought this stone was the closets they had to eyes. They did agree it was not perfect match though. I liked so many of their other tourmalines that didn''t match eyes- I thought I should just save money and wait to get a stone that looks good color to me and forget about the cat thing.

AAGems recommendation to match eyes...
I noticed the color of this one looked pretty good but I don''t really like the cut on it.

The kite shape just keeps jumping out at me too.

Hope you have some luck soon. I''m finding it''s hard to get started with colored gems.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results